1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MINI owner here - checking winter tire info

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 PM
groesi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI owner here - checking winter tire info

Actually, it's my wife's new Mini: A Cooper S Hardtop Bumblee, purchased last May from Northwest Mini near Tacoma. She absolutely loves it, and I get to keep it running for her, apart from the warranty stuff. I inherited her "tank": a '95 Volvo 940 turbo wagon. Up to now, we've been a RWD Volvo family (still have an 1800ES and 240 turbo), so Mini is really a new addition. We had our first snow here on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State, and I was perusing the forums for information on snow tire setups. This Mini currently has OEM 205 45 R17's Dunlops with about 6000 miles on them, and I just ordered 195 55 R16 Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 runflats, new rims, and TPMS from our local Les Schwab dealer. I'm going to have them install them. The manual states 175's, but the only Google hits I got for tires that size were in Europe. Am also contemplating the Spike-Spyder Sport traction devices as alternative to chains. I use a set for the Volvo and find them effective and convenient, although on the pricey side. But, easy on and off as advertised, and I've needed to use them twice so far this season, where conditions weren't so great. If anyone has any comments on the Mini setup above, they would be much appreciated. I think I've already read all the Spikes-Spyder posts here. I am a somewhat competent DIYer, and, from experience with Brickboard, a Volvo owners' forum, I can appreciate how valuable the collective wisdom in these owners' forums is. I've just started digging and hope to learn a lot more about our Mini. And keep it on the road. Best wishes and happy new year.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
iNetMANN
2nd Gear
A 195 will do just fine, especially up there on the Peninsula since the snow is infrequent. You really don't want to go studded as you'll spend a lot more time on pavement then snow which is the opposite for us here in Spokane. I used to live in Sequim and as long as I didn't have to get up to Bell Hill all was good. I think you made a fine choice.

And,

Welcome to NAM!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 PM
groesi
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply...

Thanks for your reply and welcome, iNetMANN. I'm sure a coincidence, but we are currently living in Sequim, great little town. Lots of snow recently, but already melted away in most areas; our blue hole has been overhead the last couple of days. We spent Christmas week in Seattle, but took our Volvo in as the Mini wasn't set up for snow (neither was Seattle). We like to go to Hurricane Ridge for snowshoeing, and snow tires with chains on board are required. We went up there yesterday, and our Volvo didn't like it on the access road where mainly frozen road surface, with its RWD, light rear end, even with two sand tubes and a bag of salt in the back, and Michelin Ice-X snow tires, although fine when actually in snow. I'm hoping that the Mini will do better all around in the new set up. I was glad to read in your reply that it looks I made a good choice.