1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Performance Driving School Center Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW Performance Driving School Center Part 1

If there is anything that could be more enjoyable then driving a BMW at the Performance School in Spartanburg, S.C. …Let me know.

Thats an exit not to miss!

You can tell there is a BMW presence

Hang out for the drivers today

I first have to describe in words the actions of stepping into a vehicle like no other and actually being able to use the vehicle for its initial intent.
This is a purist form of excitement from the time you step on the tarmac of South Carolina Red soil, till the time you leave with the biggest grin on your face, as if someone has just handed you a Million dollar check.
This is how I felt.

If only the MINI wings could fit under the roundel, their is a blank spot " we might have a chance"

Where it all begins...

6 series day! Attention to detail.

Overview in the Pits

The Production Facility first opened in 1994 as BMW production facility with expansion into the America as a full production headquarters for the then Z3 and later X5, their typical selling car line for the North America.
With this expansion and the prominence of US sales brought the idea of a performance track that would excite the track heart of the nation and offer some learning for the beginner driver by offering a true track feeling with the BMW classroom know-how.
This is how it was accomplished, located across the road from the now Z4 and X5, X6 production facility sit’s the architecturally brilliant performance center which also houses, BMW Performance Car Delivery, Track Training Class Rooms, Regional BMW/ MINI corp. training and one of the coolest cafeterias an enthusiast could have. Surrounded by what I call the architectural era of BMW glass and metal which lets the surroundings inward. This building alone has been created to give the individual a sense of History and Future as one can look at the evolution of BMW’s character through artwork that adorns the walls. When you step inside the building you know where you are and do not feel out of place, but encouraged to venture around the structure and to find on its back porch a car lovers dream.

M6 PDS style

To finally step outside and meet your new best friend, for myself it was the ever incorrigible and notable 6 series, which for the BMW fans, the flagship of a true ultra luxury large body coupe’. The car I would name number 5 blue. But before I get to the car I should tell you one thing. The class room has to be your very first stop as BMW wants you to visit with a skilled instructor for a 101 class in driving. The classrooms with there large french door that reach the sealing let you know its time to enter the true performance classroom. Your greeted by 30 other BMW loving individuals (as yourself) from all corners of the USA and sometimes beyond, with their BMW lanyards and BMW apperal you know they are ready to go. First our instructor Larry tells us what we really need to know, Breaking, Handling, and what do DSC, ABS, ASC, do in a BMW and how to use these technological marvels so it willl effect your driving and also how to utilized the cornering ability of proper brake assessment. In short how you should use your brakes. Now I would listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about. As being a professional cobra (back in the day) driver I think BMW and Larry have the experience.

My ride.

Get to know your course, drive through ( notice the instructor X3)

Getting ready

After a little classroom and introduction we are off to the first track event, getting into groups and meeting new people was enjoyment in itself. All the participants for the day were divided into groups of 3 to 4 then rotated in sections of the course so that you would not be waiting in line like most track days you have at your local autocross, BMW has figured a way to give you the most amount of time on the track with personal instructions thanks to the in car walkie talkie system. The walkie talkies are all interlinked just for your group and its great to watch other individual instructed as your waiting for your turn, which is not long. Our first event on the track was just getting the fell of the car. Our second event has emergency breaking at various speeds, third was the time trail around a short but high turned track around cones and timed to stop in a square (Which I won).

look at all the classes

Look what we found, a Training MINI convertible.
I think this MINI has its way with the track at night when no ones around

Wet Track DSC control (fun factroy)
or secert BMW drifting track?

6 series drifting, yea thats me and a instrutor.

We had a break for lunch back at their café and then back into the class room for some more BMW 101 education. The instruction is straight forward and very easy to pick up for the track novice and professional. After talking with other BMW 6 series owners in the pit we were back on the track for DSC control on the large water skid track. Then after some fun discovering how far you can go with the DSC and how to control while your instructor controls your skid with the e-brake, its time for some BMW style drifting. This is also where you can step out one at a time and watch other drivers get sideways, then drivers come out of their 6’s with big smiles of how much fun. We discovered that the people from novice drivers to one time autocrosses all felt like they were in the same community. Every person was wearing a lanyard around their neck with there names and asking how you like your BMW and discribing where they were from. Its a BMW commuinty of owners which like to talk about MINI's believe or not. People are so friendly, I don’t know if it’s the southern hospitality everyone has, or the enjoyment of both Men and Women driving their BMW’s on a real track scenario in a controlled situation with phenomenal instructions.

Wall of Fame

when you really push your 6

Its always a good time in the pit, everyone has a story

drive it like you own it!

And I caught up in one lap!

...and thats how you catch a 6 with a 6 in about a couple laps

This is excitement in the purist form. Pure BMW.

I have to thank to Dave Trimble who let me experience it along with the great instructors Larry, Allison, Matt, and I hope to make another visit to the Spartanburg plant and the BMW performance track. I was there for one day and If they will let me, I will be returning soon.

There are many more classes and driving experiences available, I just touched the tip of the iceberg.
From the www.relearntodrive.com website which is a great interactive overview of the track, and a comical experience of how you might have learned how to drive.

Another website to learn about BMW and what BMW performance and SC has to offer is www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Experience/Events/PDS/Default.aspx.

From these two websites you can find pricing to explanations on the events, to actual people and what they had to say. Please check out all the video as it is a great tool to gauge your experience what to expect. Hopefully you have a better explanation from my own interpretation. What ever you have pictured in your mind, BMW will supersede it, all expectations will be meet and exceeded, I can’t say too much good about the services they have provided, it is a true class act.

M class drivers

Check out some of the great video on youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rmance+driving+

The one thing you should know is you don’t have to be a BMW owner to experience the track. For MINI owners, you can’t drive MINIs their yet, but can drive a BMW (like the new 1 series) which also helps with instruction that can used on the track anywhere and should not be missed.

Everyone is welcomed, all you have to do is sign up, pay the fee, and have a valid driver’s license, plus they supply a multitude of BMW’s in the full series line. I was just placed with the 6 series owners, but what you will experience is mostly the same including a larger variety of vehicles and training. Remember they offer off-road experiences for the X3, X5, X6 crowd, and for the M crowd, this is a true M expertise school, not to be missed.

What you can get into...

Nice M6 in the pit

Its a piece of Bavaria in SC

For the factory side.
http://www.bmwusfactory.com/

Flicker: for More pics of the track and BMW production center and Zentrum.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83767992@N00/

I will be adding more to this as my journey continues to the Production Plant and updated visits.

Thanks
alpinamike

Last edited by alpinamike; 01-13-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
bump.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I was wondering if anyone visited the center, I talked to two local MINI owners who went to the Zentrum.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
I did a 2-day school there last year - lots of fun. Kept asking the instructors about MINI's, but got a notion that they try to keep MINIs separate from the "real" BMWs.

The fun part about a 2-day class is that at the "graduation" you get to do couple of laps around the track in pretty much every model that BMW sells in the states, including the M5.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zoltiz
I did a 2-day school there last year - lots of fun. Kept asking the instructors about MINI's, but got a notion that they try to keep MINIs separate from the "real" BMWs.

The fun part about a 2-day class is that at the "graduation" you get to do couple of laps around the track in pretty much every model that BMW sells in the states, including the M5.

Yes, they try to keep it seperate but we can hope as the brand grows. Note the BMW marque sign pic, their is room.

Last edited by alpinamike; 01-13-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, thank you for sharing your awesome experience. I like your explanation, "a little slice of Bavaria in South Carolina".

Looks like the experience of a lifetime.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Thanks, This is just part 1, I will be going over some inside info, MINI related, plus the Zentrum and plant tour.
I want to let people know what we have here in the states as everyone can't make it to england or germany.
Plus its a great track, and I drove on Road America and other tracks , this one is perfect for intro- courses and technical courses.
Many of the workers own MINI's also.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
I've seen a ton of MINIs in the parking lots, but none were anywhere near the track.

If you can set up a MINI track day or a MINI-focused class, I'm there.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Oh their near the track, I have more pics , their was just one for training (convertible) and one for worker had one, the next year I went four were on the PDS side in the parking for internal people.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow looks like a blast, did the autocross there in Dec and had a great time, what a place!!! Now ya need to experience going "***** to the Wall" at VIR!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Yea I know. This is a great track none the less.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
BMWCCA is holding at least 3 driving schools there this year! You can go to tarheelminis.org and check the performance driving events thread and they are listed there, also Phil Wicks dates for 2009 at VIR are there too!!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I know because "Twister" was one of your local group MINI owners from your region, and they did the BMWCCA thing.
BMW has done some things as outreach at VIR and Homestead this year 3 day programs.
We had our local MINIs do a Phil Wicks day but it was $$$ for beginer MINI owners.
We stick to our local track www.beaverun.com.
Plus I was on Road America this year just for the 300+ MINI parade at MTTS chicago, which was fun.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Great looking track!! Which BMWCCA thing did you see Twister at?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I remember him talking about it with tarheelsmini owners, I saw him back in 2006 at MTTS in WV.
Signed his MINI "twister".

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
question

If BMW ever developed a program, or a track for MINI's in the US would owners want to go?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
bump

Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zoltiz
If you can set up a MINI track day or a MINI-focused class, I'm there.
^^^^

Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Their was an autocross that was BMW/MINI related in 2006.
Find the post for tarheelmini.org on NAM.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear

BMW/MINI training for MINI engines at Spartanburg, SC

Thought this was a cool pic someone else posted on NAM.
Thats why you will see some MINI's rolling around the area, but not so much on the track.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
You can see from the pic it is the newer r56 type engine w/turbo.
Very cool to see mounted on a egine mount very clean.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
bump

Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Their is a couple days at VIR this year and Miami.
As part of their expansion program for those who cant make it to Spartanburg.

Schedule & Registration Information

The Performance Center Driving schools are led by professional BMW instructors who share a passion for teaching drivers how to drive safely and maximize exhilaration behind the wheel.

Please select a school to see available dates.
Please note that prices listed do not include taxes or travel expenses.

Select a School One-Day Teen School Two-Day Teen School M School One-Day Car Control School Two-Day School Advanced M School - Virginia International Raceway One-Day M School Miami One-Day - M School Miami Two-Day - M School
Cost $3,995.00

If you are an M School graduate (or graduate of a similar certified high-performance driving school), then you are eligible for the most advanced and challenging program available anywhere, exclusively utilizing the BMW M car line-up. The venue is historic Virginia International Raceway (VIR.) A driver’s circuit in the truest sense, this roller coaster ribbon of asphalt is an intoxicating mix of low- and high-speed corners that will challenge every sense and demand respect along the way. It’s the kind of track that will never be mastered, but in your quest to do so you will become a more skilled and vastly improved high performance driver.

Miami dates are not posted yet, but VIR is.

This is great for the MINI owners who visit VIR or are in the DC, Marylard area, along with Virginia.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear

X6 active hybrid, current X6 built in Spartanbur, SC.
This might make its was to the Zentrum in SC.

Quick Reply: BMW Performance Driving School Center Part 1