1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsessed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
DDoggJCW
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't gotten to the stage of "obsession," but I probably will very soon.

I got shivers when I saw the tracking status on my car change from "On Order" to "Scheduled for Production."

I live in the hills with a lot of twisties, so I can't wait to get my JCW to carve the turns.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
Carolina, now I live in Trujillo... You?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dvhone

I even bought a 1/43 diecast in Dark Silver and would look at that at 12:15 am (I'd have to get up less than six hours later!).
I have a 1/24 scale on my desk at work.

Then again, maybe it is a 1/12 scale...the trunk doesn't look much smaller than my actual car

Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Edgar Soto
Neutral
MINI CLUBMAN S exhaust system

HOLA : my first time i just became a member of the community very usefull data I am a proud owner of a CLUBMAN S red and black 17 " rims black stripes w/checkers accs. and legal tinted glass all over. and after 8,900 fun , fast, accurate, beeeutifull handling,looked at (tinted glass ),accelerating miles i installed the Borla exhaust system and it sounds deep and i have 6 gear manual trans and its much more fun to drive because of the differents deep sounds between gears and best of all i dont loose the warranty. I trully reccomended it. Ihope hear from you all. PS I LOVE MY MINI CLUBMAN S...........

Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
CoopVirgin
1st Gear
As to the title of this thread, I can completely sympathize with the feeling! I've been obsessing over MINI's for about four years (intense obsessing for about one year), and its gotten to the point where my wife is getting really pissed! If we're driving together, I can't even GLANCE at a passing or parked MINI without her yelling at me. (I can't help but sneak a peak at one though.)
Finally, this Christmas, she asked what I wanted. I said, "One thing honey: I want your blessing to buy a MINI." To my amazement, she hesitated a minute and said, "OK, you'll get your MINI...I know you won't be happy without it." So, in about two weeks or so, I place my order for my first MINI. (See my other post for details.) AND...I'm still married!

To the OP...Sounds like an amazing car. Pics will be required when you get it!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CoopVirgin
"OK, you'll get your MINI...I know you won't be happy without it." So, in about two weeks or so, I place my order for my first MINI. (See my other post for details.) AND...I'm still married!
Congrats on selling the car to her! It took a bit of time for my wife to buy off on the concept as well...but she finally did. Now, she can't wait to drive it (when I give her the chance ).

Good luck with the purchase process!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
LOL yeah my wife is prety much fed up with all the mini talk, all the countless hrs on my iPhone in these forums... She Still rather have me get another car but she hesitantly ok'd it, hopefully I'll order prety soon, and of course pictures will be posted...

Congrats on your purchase as well and you also share some pics when the time comes!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:28 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Fortunately for me, the only one I had to convince was myself - and that didn't really take any convincing!

Strangely, my level of obsessive behavior (like 'building' my Mini at miniusa.com over and over, etc.) has actually decreased since ordering my Mini (production in week 12, woo!). I don't know if it's that I know it's coming now or that I've finally settled on my specs or what. Actually, I kind of miss it... I'm sure I'll be in the owners lounge every hour checking its status once it begins production though

Unfortunately, none of that has made the wait any less slow; I think the next three months are going to feel like a whole year!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
CoopVirgin
1st Gear
cameroon: the '09 models can still be ordered with laser blue? or is it just horizon blue now? Thats going to increase the difficulty in choosing a color if its available...

I had to laugh about you continuously building your MINI on their website. I thought I was the only was crazy enough to do that so often! I wish there was some counter on the website to keep track.

About the wife...she absolutely hates cars that are 'vintage' looking: pt cruisers, the new vw bugs, chevy hhr's... This also in her mind includes the MINI. Thats why it was so difficult wearing her down!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Yup Laser Blue (light blue) is still available, Lightning Blue (the previous dark blue) is the color that was replaced with Horizon Blue. Trust me, when I saw the color replacement notice I nearly panicked - then I remembered that I kept confusing Lightning and Laser. Even still, I just double checked to make sure

Here's a refresher on Laser Blue. I was actually still considering color schemes until I saw that picture. The configurator just doesn't do the colors justice. I think you're on to something with that counter on the configurator idea though...

As for the Mini looking vintage... I guess if she means that it's curvy. But who wants to drive a square box?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had another major bout of obsession the other night....just one of those magic moments. This after my first IB/W Cooper in '03 and now my current '07 OB/W Cooper. The obsession just never lets up...how many cars does that happen with after 6+ years????

Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Thyodin
2nd Gear
I'm definitely obsessed as well. I've set myself an "order date" of February 27th, 'cause that's when I get my Bonus from work.

I've probably built and rebuilt my car 30 times on MiniUsa. I'm going for a British Racing Green Cooper, White top, White stripes. Premium and Cold Weather Packages, Xenon headlights, Anthracite Headliner, White Turn Signals, Front and Rear Fog lights, and Armrest.

The sad thing is, I didn't even have the site open going through that list...

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Thyodin
I'm definitely obsessed as well. I've set myself an "order date" of February 27th, 'cause that's when I get my Bonus from work.

I've probably built and rebuilt my car 30 times on MiniUsa. I'm going for a British Racing Green Cooper, White top, White stripes. Premium and Cold Weather Packages, Xenon headlights, Anthracite Headliner, White Turn Signals, Front and Rear Fog lights, and Armrest.

I had the same kind of thing for my order date, but it was the pay off of my current car

Don't feel bad about knowing the list off the top of your head - I've got my "from factory" list and a list of planned customizations/modifications that I can rattle off at a moment's notice.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I had another major bout of obsession the other night....just one of those magic moments. This after my first IB/W Cooper in '03 and now my current '07 OB/W Cooper. The obsession just never lets up...how many cars does that happen with after 6+ years????
So what was it that you were obsessing over?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
CoopVirgin
1st Gear

british racing green: $500
white stripes: $89 if they are the sport (+installation), $100 if bonnet
cold weather package: $500
premium: $1250
Xenon headlights: $400 (I might be wrong on this one; not something i check out often)
anthracite: $250
white turn signals: $100
rear fog light: $100
armrest: $250

thats all from memory folks...yep...definitely have a problem...
I feel better now I know I'm not the only one though!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
LOL!!! I also did the configuration thing.... I wnt as far as having a "memory contest" where I would save my configuration and then check with previous ones to see if the matched.... LOL Visits to the configurator have almost disapeared.... browsing these forums have taken it's place, and some of the info here has led me to make some changes...

In my case I might get the car through my buisness so I'm waiting for year end financial statements... If I get as good an interest as I can get on my own then it's gonna be a "company" car... LOL

Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
miniguy5
4th Gear
Hi everyone, like and alcoholic I knew I had a problem but I just couldn't stop........ I was on the Mini Config. constantly and by the time I placed the order I was more familiar with it than my MA!!! It's good to know a second aspect of my obsession is shared by my friends here on the forums.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
But you will get your fix anytime now!!! you drunk!! LOL I still haven't gotten around to even ordering!!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 PM
CoopVirgin
1st Gear
I got a friend at work to try out a MINI and play with the configurator...he's hooked!

True love is a beautiful thing to behold.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 AM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
^ LOL

Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
miniguy, I can't tell you how jealous I am right now that your Mini's waiting for transport.

.... It's going to be a looooong three months.

Last edited by cameroon; 02-06-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
FrankiePR
2nd Gear
Loooong Post!!

So I finally went to my dealer.

This is what I wanted:
Factory JCW Hardtop CHR\BLK
Piano BLK with Carbon BLK interior
White turn Signals
Premium Package
Xenon lights
rear fog lamp
Leather punch carbon
Chrome line interior
Comfort access system

(Eliminated dealer options for this discussion)

This is what they have:
Factory JCW Clubman CHR\BLK
Piano BLK with Carbon BLK interior
White turn Signals
Premium Package
Xenon lights
rear fog lamp
Leatherette

Sport Suspension
Hi Fi
Bonnet Stripes

differences:
I wanted Clubman does not have:
Punch Carbon leather seats
Chrome Line Interior
Comfort Access

Clubman has I did not want:
Hi-Fi Sound
Sport Suspension
Leatherette seats
Bonnet Stripes (easily replaceable for the sport stripes)

Things I wanted at some point:
JCW Aero Kit
JCW Wing
JCW suspension

My Analysis:
JCW Aero kit for clubman is coming (allegedly)
Chrome Line interior can be special ordered (not locally, but from Morristown mini)
JCW Suspension - maybe someday they will offer it, I had still to drive the car a bit more to be completely certain I wanted it
JCW Wing - Maybe eventually they will come out with a clubman version

Basically they were giving me the car for less than the Hardtop (the Hardtop "un negotiated" numbers) and I'm really considering it if they bring the price down a little bit more.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to get into the actual numbers in these forums, but they are claiming that MSRPs in Puerto Rico are not the same than in the US, take that into account plus the local taxes which for that car seem to be around 17%-18% (yup!) and the price tag was a little hefty. They had already lowered $3,500 from what they wanted to sell the car for, and then and additional $1,000...

Let’s see what happens because I was playing hardball and now I got an email from another MA telling me that the car was sold and is awaiting approval... let's see if it's a bluff or not....

Last edited by FrankiePR; 02-09-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
jimatvs
2nd Gear

Nice color combo! I'm already planning my next purchase (and I just got my 3 yr lease this past November!) I'm thinking the BRG/WHT with the white sport stripes. I've seen one of those around and it is a great combo. Now all I have to do is wait...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
chewbakkah
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniguy5
That is definitely a move up.... I'm moving up from my boring Honda Accord. Somehow it seems like everything in my life will be better once my baby arrives, considering that I've been a closeted Mini Cooper lover for the past 3 year and I've finally come "out" saying it loud and proud I love Mini Coopers! (Extreme amounts of pun intended)

my wife and i fight over who gets to drive the s now, we moved up from the most basic chevy caviler you can purchase (no cruise control!) to the 05 mcs. so i know how it is to buy your first fun car, didn't really bother me on the waiting thing, we test drove on thursday loved it, didn't want to drive myself crazy, so i went back and bought on saturday.

as for your pun, people look at me funny in my small town in texas, i'm a big dude driving the smallest car they've ever seen, they give me some really dissaproving looks, UNTILL I STOMP ON IT!!! and then... well they can't look at me anymore so that solves that.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chewbakkah
my wife and i fight over who gets to drive the s now, we moved up from the most basic chevy caviler you can purchase (no cruise control!) to the 05 mcs. so i know how it is to buy your first fun car, didn't really bother me on the waiting thing, we test drove on thursday loved it, didn't want to drive myself crazy, so i went back and bought on saturday.

as for your pun, people look at me funny in my small town in texas, i'm a big dude driving the smallest car they've ever seen, they give me some really dissaproving looks, UNTILL I STOMP ON IT!!! and then... well they can't look at me anymore so that solves that.
Maybe you should ask them if they want to trade in their small cell phone for the "cell phone" from the 80s. Maybe then they'd get the hint that small doesn't mean bad .... Nahhhhh....

Quick Reply: Obsessed!