1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The no-holes mount is simply a way of attaching the front plate without having holes drilled in your bumper. It's attaches to the tow hook hole (under the little plastic cover on the bumper).

Oldsbear, are you doing the blackout yourself (removing the chrome and plasti-dip it?) or are you getting the blackout kit from Aesthetic Creations?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
Oldsbear, are you doing the blackout yourself (removing the chrome and plasti-dip it?) or are you getting the blackout kit from Aesthetic Creations?
I ordered the grille and surround from Outmotoring, and the rings from AesthetiCreations.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I'm thinking I might just black out my grill surround with Plastidip...its only $7/can here. Looking at doing the wheel arches as well since the JCW is only available with the factory aero kit which now has painted arches and I like the black arch look.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:23 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
I'm thinking I might just black out my grill surround with Plastidip...its only $7/can here. Looking at doing the wheel arches as well since the JCW is only available with the factory aero kit which now has painted arches and I like the black arch look.
I would try the dip, but I'm not very handy with that sort of thing. I will trust myself to unscrew the trim, I guess

Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Faust made it into port in Belgium. Next stop, Southampton!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 AM
bogs
2nd Gear
Wow, I can't believe the Faust leaves tomorrow! And the Torrens hits land in 2 days!

Also, Topeka folks - the WW website shows the trip length down to 9 days overall from 10! Looks like we gained a day somewhere along the way

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
WW site finally showing me as "Booked and Received at Port" for the Faust.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bogs
Also, Topeka folks - the WW website shows the trip length down to 9 days overall from 10! Looks like we gained a day somewhere along the way
That is good news , but I still have another week after NY .

Anyone else going to CA?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
WW site finally showing me as "Booked and Received at Port" for the Faust.

I'm booked too!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM
snb3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
That is good news , but I still have another week after NY .

Anyone else going to CA?

CA meaning California? That'll be me

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Looks like we'll be shipmates after all Steveski...does your dealership have a delivery date for you yet?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
It appears we have a whole herd of ships heading this way with MINIs on them! Congrats to those about to board!

If any of you happen to see some ship tracking tool that shows the re-emergence of the TORRENS from the deep dark Atlantic....YELL!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the end of the Channel either...I hope the Faust reports weather regularly. She left Belgium earlier this morning and is on her way to Southampton right now.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Looks like we'll be shipmates after all Steveski...does your dealership have a delivery date for you yet?

I just got an email back saying it will be 2-3 weeks once it lands in Halifax. Seems a bit long to me though.

But then again I have no idea what they have to do to the car before delivery. Maybe he's just covering for possible unexpected delays? I can't complain though as long as everything is done right. It really hasn't been that long of a wait, it just seems like it.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
snb3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by clubbieRme
It appears we have a whole herd of ships heading this way with MINIs on them! Congrats to those about to board!

If any of you happen to see some ship tracking tool that shows the re-emergence of the TORRENS from the deep dark Atlantic....YELL!
I noticed you colored out our taillamp covers, is that your plan? I'm mulling it over on my PW also.

3 reasons why I'm hesitant:
1: top of taillamp cover doesn't pefectly line up with rest of the chrome belt molding (bottom of side glass & chrome trim)
2: It might make the car appear unattractively long visually
3: It might make the taillamps looks unusually small.

your sig picture looks the best so far. I've seen others where they painted the top portions (which makes it look awkward) & wheel well moldings (too monotone). I'll probably just paint the covers & leave the bumper tops black to give it some visual balance. I have access to good body & paint shops so its not gonna cost anything & replacement covers are only about $70 each.

I posted a thread about painting the covers & the only response was to to a search: still havent found one person who painted a PW taillamp cover only.

Gotta find someone who can P-shop it.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Wow, go MIA for a few days and all sorts of activity occurs

For those on the Topeka, welcome to the Big Empty. Sit back, relax, and forget about tracking her 'til she shows up along the North American coast.

As for mods, doing the No Holes front license plate and a short (4") antenna. Also want to get a custom shifter ****, but that might wait a couple weeks. I think I may also pick up a set of M7 front grilles in silver (though might paint them white) to go with the overall Laser Blue/White color scheme.

I just have to pace myself

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by snb3
CA meaning California? That'll be me
Where are you headed after California? Mine has to come half way back across the country back to Denver.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
Originally Posted by snb3
I noticed you colored out our taillamp covers, is that your plan? I'm mulling it over on my PW also.

3 reasons why I'm hesitant:
1: top of taillamp cover doesn't pefectly line up with rest of the chrome belt molding (bottom of side glass & chrome trim)
2: It might make the car appear unattractively long visually
3: It might make the taillamps looks unusually small.

your sig picture looks the best so far. I've seen others where they painted the top portions (which makes it look awkward) & wheel well moldings (too monotone). I'll probably just paint the covers & leave the bumper tops black to give it some visual balance. I have access to good body & paint shops so its not gonna cost anything & replacement covers are only about $70 each.

I posted a thread about painting the covers & the only response was to to a search: still havent found one person who painted a PW taillamp cover only.

Gotta find someone who can P-shop it.
The look in my sig is one that's been in my head for a long time. Just took a while to pull the trigger on the buy. Thanks for the positive feedback.

I decided to leave the part of the C-pillar between the windows black to give it an unbroken dark section all the way around the car. You're right about the joint at the belt line. There's not much of a way to camouflage it because there isn't enough space to mount a custom made chrome trim piece. It is a concession I made but I don't think I'll regret it.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
While we wait for the Topeka, what mods are you guys going to do right away?
Mods? Driving lights installed at the port. Painted C-pillars and wheel arches will be waiting for her when she gets here. Black leather w/red piping custom seat upholstery in the near future.

I'll be buying another set of wheels to mount winter tires on. I may just do an all-around switch...mount the all-seasons on a set of chrome crown spokes and put the winters on the wheels coming on the car. Not sure about the chrome yet but I tend to like chrome w/red...and she'll be red.

And then the bank will be busted.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
The Faust is filling up with MINIs (and other less precious cargo) right now!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 AM
bogs
2nd Gear
Congrats! Is everyone on one of the last 3 ships?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
What I want to know is, is the ship that's there in the satellite photos (that says "Winch Only" around the orange dot) actually a Roll-On, Roll-Off cargo ship? It certainly looks like it could be and if it is, those those are just ... gigantic.

I mean, I didn't even realize that was a ship until looking at Perihelion's pics from this morning.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Yup, the Faust is roll on roll off, see picture 5/7 in this gallery:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/sho...0000#top_photo

Someone said earlier that some of these beauties can carry upwards of 3700 cars at a time.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Yup, the Faust is roll on roll off, see picture 5/7 in this gallery:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/sho...0000#top_photo

Someone said earlier that some of these beauties can carry upwards of 3700 cars at a time.
Oh I realize Faust is a RoRo, but what I hadn't realized was that a RoRo was docked at the time of the satellite photo. It was just so big that, when I was looking at the satellite images before (when tracking the Torrens in), my mind turned it into part of the dock!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
You really get a sense of size when you see a picture from side view and a tug is next to it. The Tug looks like an ant. I'm impressed that she can get up to 18 knots, I wonder how much power she's got.

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group