1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cameroon
She's getting close Perihelion, maybe 1/3 left to go
She's due in Halifax on Wednesday.....hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry, but be safe!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I did not use quotes ! Hmmm..I'll try that !

You are working that chart pretty good on Faust's progress !

Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
I don't think search is set up on the forum to do phrase searches, unfortunately. I've never had any luck with quotes at least

Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
The Topeka is now showing in port in New York!!!

Last edited by COKen; 03-23-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Rather than use the forum search, I use Google Advanced Search. In the panel that says "Search within a site or domain:" I put northamericanmotoring.com. Then whatever search terms or exact phrase in the panels above.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
Rather than use the forum search, I use Google Advanced Search. In the panel that says "Search within a site or domain:" I put northamericanmotoring.com. Then whatever search terms or exact phrase in the panels above.
Ah, good tip! I only infrequently remember that you can do that in Google.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
The Topeka is now showing in port in New York!!!

Thanks for the update COKen! Let's hope the VDC turnaround is quick, and we all get our cars ASAP! (My dealer is only about 2 hours from NYC, so I'm hoping for a delivery this coming weekend!)

Fingers crossed!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic17
Thanks for the update COKen! Let's hope the VDC turnaround is quick, and we all get our cars ASAP! (My dealer is only about 2 hours from NYC, so I'm hoping for a delivery this coming weekend!)

Fingers crossed!
Nice!

Just saw that my car was discharged by WW, so here's hoping it gets through the VDC today/tomorrow

Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Mine is showing as "customs release" and "liner release" on the WW site now :D

Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic17

Fingers crossed!
Its scheduled to leave today, so it should be a quick offload. Mine doesn't come off in NY, but I have to wait another 10 days or so for it to get to the west coast.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
bogs
2nd Gear
also showing "customs release" and "liner release". What's the typical turnaround time from port to VDC, then from VDC to dealer? Do they wait for a batch of cars for that dealer to be ready before sending them off?

Also, is there anyway to track at this point, or at any point going forward?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
The Topeka just left NY and is on its way to Panama and the west coast.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
Okay...it appears that in Charleston you get the "customs release" followed by the "liner release" followed by "discharged" followed by "delivered from." Anybody have a clue what "delivered from" means? Based on cars that've arrived in Charleston previously, it appears it means a delay of days...in terms of a wait for a MINI, more days than it takes to get from Southampton to Charleston. Wonder at what point the VDC gets the car?

As Perihelion said..."hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry hurry."

Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bogs
also showing "customs release" and "liner release". What's the typical turnaround time from port to VDC, then from VDC to dealer? Do they wait for a batch of cars for that dealer to be ready before sending them off?

Also, is there anyway to track at this point, or at any point going forward?
From my reading (none of which I have handy), the VDCs process 500-600 cars/day and the tracking sticky gives 2-3 days to get through VDC as normal (dunno if 'normal' includes having anything installed there).

[Guess work here ]At this point I would expect that cars are batched together, either on train or truck. I imagine the batches being to regional areas if by train, or by dealer if by truck.

I've been estimating it as ~1/2 day from port to VDC, then 2-3 days at the VDC, then however many for transit to dealer, then 1-2 days for dealer prep. In my case, I'm estimating transit to dealer as 2-3 days.

[Edit] Oh, and nope, no real way to track it here or going forward. The Owners Lounge appears to be able to tell when it's left the VDC, but I wouldn't bet on it

Last edited by cameroon; 03-23-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Topeka just left NY and is on its way to Panama and the west coast.
Thanks for the update!

Once it gets to California, I'll still have about 3 weeks before delivery in Hawaii.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Thanks for the update!

Once it gets to California, I'll still have about 3 weeks before delivery in Hawaii.
I know you will be happy to see it leave California, but not very happy about the wait crossing the Pacific. This is as bad as being a kid waiting for Christmas.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you will be happy to see it leave California, but not very happy about the wait crossing the Pacific. This is as bad as being a kid waiting for Christmas.
Once it leaves Cali I won't have long =)

then again - the tension continues to build the closer it gets!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Anyone taking off work to do their pickup? Even if you're next door to your dealer?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Anyone taking off work to do their pickup? Even if you're next door to your dealer?
Are you kidding? I still have almost a month to wait, so when my dealer tells me its ready I'm heading out to the dealer no matter what day of the week it is.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Looks like the Topeka left New York harbor dropped of the radar again. Not sure why because there are other ships showing up in the area where it should be. Hope it doesn't stay dark all the way to California.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Atomic17
2nd Gear

It's the end of our financial year at work, so taking any time off this week is a big no-no. BUT if all goes well and the stars align, I might be able to take delivery this Saturday - if not I did take off the next 2 Fridays, April 3rd and 10th, just to have some extra days to motor around...

If I don't hear anything from my MA by Wed, I'll give her a call and see what the status is....again, keeping fingers crossed for this weekend!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
I'm not taking time off and I'm as close to next door as you can get, approx 10km(6.2 miles) from home and 5km(3.1 miles) from work. I'm lucky that I'm so close as one of the little perks my dealer gives is free unlimited car washes(and they have a pretty good espresso machine for while I wait )

But I do have to use up a week of vacation time before the end of May, so I'll have lots of driving time comming up.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I'll definitely be taking a day off to do the pickup - it's a 3 1/2 hour drive each way but at least for me both halves of the drive are in a Cooper S

Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Anyone still on the Torrens? It looks like it just pulled out of Charleston.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Also listed as with Customs and Liner release. I just failed to check earlier today. I guess that indicates they did not forget to take it off the Topeka before it departed NY !

Cameroon and I have pickup from same dealership but I suspect that his MINI will beat mine by a couple of days. Hopefully, he gets his by Saturday. Right now, I suspect mine will not be ready for pickup till Tuesday or so. I could get to the dealership at a decent time just taking an hour off from work. But I have to work out the logistics with my wife so we do not wind up with 3 cars to drive back and only 2 drivers. A Monday pickup would work out much better since she only works a half day that day. But on Tuesday-Thursday, then it becomes tougher since she works full time those days.

Maybe Cameroon will be so kind as to wait till my MINI is ready for pickup. Then he can pick me up at my house in the car he's trading in. We then pickup both MINIs that day ! That then solves the pickup logistics ! Great !!

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group