1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted a WRX from 2002 when they came out in North America to 2006 when I actually got mine. Saved and saved until I could finally afford it. Its a totally different experience from driving a MINI. In many ways, its the opposite. Where the MINI is precise and gives you the feel that you're carving the road, the WRX is a statement in brute force. The power always made me smile, but I could never find a patch of road open enough or wide enough to put the hammer down. The steering was nowhere near as precise which made the steering wheel feel like it was 3ft wide. The fun factor was good when the turbo spooled up and the sound from the boxer 4 was amazing but the transmission felt like I was shifting a 1970s garbage truck. All in all, it wasn't suitable for city driving and I only put the AWD to good use 3-4 times in the 2.5 years I had the car. As for the MINI, I'm with the experts that the fun is more accessible more of the time. I fell in love with MINI after a 5 minute test drive that I took on a bet with a friend. Sure I'll miss being able to wander into snow drifts without worrying about getting stuck, sure I'll miss the super macho muscular haunches of the 2006 WRX and the burble of the flat four, but I'll be smiling a mile wide and carving up every off ramp while I miss those things (and getting 30+ mpg while I'm at it).

Old 03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Incidentally, I recently drove a 2008 WRX and a 2008 WRX STI and found that they had actually found a way to make it worse in my opinion. They did fix the transmission and the current generation gearbox is miles better than the one I had, but they've softened up the car so much that its on the edge of boring. That's the worst crime a car can commit in my books. The wife's car is a Honda Fit and while it's not a powerhouse, it sure is a hoot.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Oh I'm in agreement, on a day-to-day there's more opportunity to get the fun out of a MINI than a WRX. And if some of the ECU tunes that are theoretically working their way towards us actually bear fruit, then some performance mods are definitely in my future (after the engine warranty) and that'll widen the range of where the MINI is fun

I have a strong suspicion I'll be enhancing the steering feel before that happens though. The ALTA PSRS system is something I think is on my short list More research on that as the time comes though. For now, I just want to get it!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM
jsmith6
2nd Gear
Seems that my car is on the same boat as yours.....mine is headed to Oklahoma City though. They are saying 31 Mar to the dealer. It appears that there are a bunch of us on here, on the boat!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jsmith6
Seems that my car is on the same boat as yours.....mine is headed to Oklahoma City though. They are saying 31 Mar to the dealer. It appears that there are a bunch of us on here, on the boat!
Was yours off-loaded from the TORRENS in NYC or in Charleston?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
jsmith6
2nd Gear
Mine is on the boat still.....chugging it's way across the pond. Someone above had a map, showing it's location. I am on that one.

Where in Indy are you? I spent time there as a kid, parents still live on the South Side.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
jsmith6...

Hmmm. You're on the FAUST w/Perihelion? I suspect I'm gonna be really envious if your car is in Oklahoma City on the 31st. I have no indication that mine is making a move toward me. Dealership's not even speculating.

I'm in Bloomington.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Speaking of the Faust, she's almost there!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
JSmith your location says Iraq...you're nowhere near your car!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM
jsmith6
2nd Gear
My car is meeting me in Oklahoma in April when I come home on midtour leave.....talk about a nice homecoming gift!!!!

There are no MINIs here. Some things that look like a MINI truck. We call them Bongo Trucks. I want to ship one home.

If I did have the MINI here, I would NOT drive it. The roads here are total crap. They rattle my HMMWV so much, it loosens the screws, pulls the doors off their hinges and make your back/shoulders hurt like none other. Oh well! I enjoy the good paycheck!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
jsmith6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by clubbieRme
jsmith6...

Hmmm. You're on the FAUST w/Perihelion? I suspect I'm gonna be really envious if your car is in Oklahoma City on the 31st. I have no indication that mine is making a move toward me. Dealership's not even speculating.

I'm in Bloomington.

If you login on your Owner's Lounge account, put in your VIN or number the dealer should have given you, they give an appx. ETA of your car to dealer. If you are dealing with Dryer-Reinboldt (Indy, pardon the shoddy spelling), I would not be surprised that they do not know. I have never been much impressed with their customer service and knowledge (or lack there of shall I say).

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jsmith6
My car is meeting me in Oklahoma in April when I come home on midtour leave.....talk about a nice homecoming gift!!!!

There are no MINIs here. Some things that look like a MINI truck. We call them Bongo Trucks. I want to ship one home.

If I did have the MINI here, I would NOT drive it. The roads here are total crap. They rattle my HMMWV so much, it loosens the screws, pulls the doors off their hinges and make your back/shoulders hurt like none other. Oh well! I enjoy the good paycheck!
Wow, it's fantastic that your MINI will meet you when you get home. Safe travels my friend.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
mccsab
3rd Gear
Stay Strong!!!!

I feel your pain, but remember that as tough as it is, the waiting is so worth it once you finally slide into that seat and its all yours!!!!

Happy Future Motoring

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Perihelion,

Have you checked the tides around Nova Scotia ? Looking at your map(s) tracking, maybe Faust is coming closer to the Bay Of Fundy. That area is known for having one of the highest tides...something like 42 ft ! If the timing is right and Faust gets the benefit of a rising tide, Faust will get to the port faster ! ?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Dang, I don't think I have any visibility while the Faust is in port at Halifax. While the WW site doesn't show that the Halifax leg of the journey is over yet, she should have gone into port a few hours ago. Also, there's no AIS footage that I can find on Halifax so we're back in the dark. No weather reports from the near shore areas....bummer.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Dang, I don't think I have any visibility while the Faust is in port at Halifax. While the WW site doesn't show that the Halifax leg of the journey is over yet, she should have gone into port a few hours ago. Also, there's no AIS footage that I can find on Halifax so we're back in the dark. No weather reports from the near shore areas....bummer.
That's... weird. Torrens was definitely visible while in Halifax, wonder why the AIS info for Faust is not. Perhaps it's just behind schedule a little and hasn't actually gotten within range of the shore trackers?

Oh wait, you can check here http://www.portofhalifax.ca/english/...tusReport.aspx

That's the Port of Halifax "Daily Status Report" and at some point today should update with "In Port" for Faust even if the AIS doesn't show her there.

Last edited by cameroon; 03-25-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 AM
furg
1st Gear
I have so enjoyed reading all your posts and all the helpful information that everyone passes on. My mini is on the Faust and is suppose to be in Brunswick on the 31st. I can hardly contain my excitement. I'm hoping for a quick in and out at the VDC and then a short truck ride to the dealership in South Atlanta.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Argh, this wait to hear from my MA is torture!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cameroon
Argh, this wait to hear from my MA is torture!
My MA doesn't work Wednesdays, so my car could be at the dealer today and I wouldn't know it. That being said, I wouldn't be able to pick it up yet anyway so it doesn't really matter

Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
My MA doesn't work Wednesdays, so my car could be at the dealer today and I wouldn't know it. That being said, I wouldn't be able to pick it up yet anyway so it doesn't really matter
And I just heard, they've started working on it at the VDC so it's definitely not at my dealer's. Kinda hoping they have delayed info like we do, though, and that the status about being at the VDC is like 24-48 hours old. If they just started, well, eww

Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
bogs
2nd Gear
That's so weird Cameroon- mine is already at the dealer. I wonder if they picked Torrens and Topeka cars up at the same time and the Torrens ones got pushed to the back?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
I just checked the WW tracking site. It's been updated to show a delay of one day for the Faust, now due in Halifax on the 26th.

For those on that boat due in other ports.
New York 03/28
Brunswick 04/01

I guess that storm that just went through the area slowed it down for some reason.

Last edited by Steveski; 03-25-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
bogs
2nd Gear
Another thought- maybe yours is waiting for a bunch of other cars for your dealer? Any word from OLarryR on his?

Btw welcome furg Faust will be here soon!!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bogs
That's so weird Cameroon- mine is already at the dealer.
cameroon...

Remember the mantra:

I am calm, I am collected, I am patient...I am calm, I am collected, I am patient...

Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
That's so weird Cameroon- mine is already at the dealer. I wonder if they picked Torrens and Topeka cars up at the same time and the Torrens ones got pushed to the back?
Another thought- maybe yours is waiting for a bunch of other cars for your dealer? Any word from OLarryR on his?

Btw welcome furg Faust will be here soon!!
I think Atomic was on Torrens, so maybe they pick them from the lot by just throwing darts?

Heh, that would be crazy if OLarryR's got in first

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group