1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Well...you also picked up your MINI...and I...well I am still waiting...so I hope to get real excited very soon ! and I am curious..............all you guys have names for your MINIs ? (Or is "MINI" good enough) ?
It will be worth the wait! As for names...I am still trying to figure out the gender...I think it's a she, even though I was expecting otherwise so for now, it's just the "COOPER!" (but sounds more like me yelling "KOOPA!" )

Edit: just realized I used an insane amount of smileys in one post. Can you tell getting my MCS has infused me with enthusiasm??

& mansize - congrats! I somehow missed your post. Great pics! They look awesome together

Last edited by bogs; 03-29-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
The Topeka is still waiting to get into the Panama Canal. Looks like a lot of ships are waiting. It would be nice to know want number they have to call before she can enter.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Ok kids, I'm back! After 2 long days, I've finally found time to upload and share my pics. Spent all day yesterday showing off the MINI and motoring around, even in the rain! And then I had to take him out again this morning (still in the rain) so I just got back from washing him. Now to sit down and go over the manual front to back, and maybe reprogram my keys (I don't like the daytime running lights on with the xenons) - and I need to figure out the wipers! Oh, and the 3rd pic is of my Scion that I traded in for the MINI - I always like to have a pic of the old and new together...

Attached Thumbnails Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group-delivery-2.jpg   Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group-delivery-1.jpg   Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group-old-and-new1.jpg  

Last edited by Atomic17; 03-29-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Those MINIs are so shiny, it is almost a shmae to go and drive it. So...who's goign to be first to wash it down after receiving it ?

My thought with the sequential shifter is....don't drive too close behind me ! How is using those paddle wheels ? The MCCS still has them but I believe in they are dropping them from some of the models.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I've only every seen one system with the paddles. Right paddles to go up a gear, left paddle to go down. F1 style. We have the paddles on the Honda Fit and I don't really like them. IMHO, either go automatic, or get a manual with a clutch. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
The MINI paddles are up and down on both sides - pull to shift up, push to shift down. I love mine, especially when driving the twisties - both hands on the wheel but still able to shift. Do THAT in a manual.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
She's heading in.

The Topeka is on the move again and heading into the Canal.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
Woohoo, go Topeka!

Atomic, the car looks great!! Had some rain here, too, and now she could use a bath. Are we safe to wash them? I remember reading something about how we should let the paint "set" for a month after production - or is that just in regards to waxing?

As for the paddle shifters, I haven't tried them yet...too many other things to distract me right now, like trying to learn my voice commands!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM
gonepostal
1st Gear
ANY ONE ON THE DON CARLOS ??

Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Perihelion,

I would go with a manual, but I gave up trying to teach my wife how to drive a manual eons ago. Trust me....I had to stick with an automatic. But that is where the automatics that have incorporated a sequential shifter at least give some of that manual feeling back.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gonepostal
ANY ONE ON THE DON CARLOS ??
Hey gonepostal, I think you might be the only one from this group on the Don Carlos. When's she expected in? Any idea how long before you get your car?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Nice looking car Atomic Saw a couple of those that color today while motoring around. I understand about the washing, that's for sure. I don't have a place to readily wash my car, but I'm going to take a spray bottle and cloth for wiping off my wheels when I want to show off the car

Sadly I found a paint chip on the passenger door at the gap near the door handle. I missed it during my pre-delivery inspection. I'll be checking with my club on the best line of repair. It's not major, but how frustrating!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
gonepostal
1st Gear
The Don Carlos is to be in Carolina on 4/6.. Don't know how long it takes to process the vehicles..Anyone have a clue? Easter weekend is on the12th. It's a Sparkling Siver with a Hot Chocolate top. Tuscan Beige/Cream and English Oak.. Can't wait.. !!Can you tell!!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
The Don Carlos is to be in Carolina on 4/6.. Don't know how long it takes to process the vehicles..Anyone have a clue? Easter weekend is on the12th. It's a Sparkling Siver with a Hot Chocolate top. Tuscan Beige/Cream and English Oak.. Can't wait.. !!Can you tell!!
Sounds like one hot cabrio!

As for time, how far does it have to go once it leaves for your dealer and are you getting anything added (like driving lights)? If you aren't getting anything added to the car, then it could be out in 2-3 days. I think they might be prioritizing the convertibles right now, too, so that might help you out.

So if everything went your way, it's conceivable that you'd have it by that weekend, but I would expect more like the middle of the following week. At least then if it comes in early, it's a pleasant surprise!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Perihelion,

I would go with a manual, but I gave up trying to teach my wife how to drive a manual eons ago. Trust me....I had to stick with an automatic. But that is where the automatics that have incorporated a sequential shifter at least give some of that manual feeling back.
LOL, I was ready to teach the wife to drive standard on the new JCW but then she chickened out after taking note of how much I love this car. She keeps talking about how she could miss a shift from 4-5 and end up in 3rd and blowing the gearset. Now its looking like it wil just be my car to drive .

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 AM
clubbieRme
1st Gear
The Don Carlos is to be in Carolina on 4/6.. Don't know how long it takes to process the vehicles..Anyone have a clue? Easter weekend is on the12th.
My MCCS came into Charleston on the 22nd which meant processing would start on
Monday the 24th. Having driving lights installed at the port. MA doesn't seem to know when to expect it into Indy. I guess this is normal but several others made land after me and farther south and are a day or so from delivery.
A mantra from earlier in the thread...I am cool, I am calm, I am patient, I am cool...

Last edited by clubbieRme; 03-30-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my insurance today!! I cant wait for tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Found out today that Steveski's MINI is well on its way to Toronto. Lucky guy, he'll have his car soon. Mine for some reason isn't showing up in the CN tracking system. Gonna call my MA to find out what the issue is.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
My MINI is ready for P/U !!
I coincidentally was off today and I called my MA for an update and to let him know to reach me at home today if there was any update on the status of it arriving at the dealership. He then told me that the MINI actually arrived Saturday afternoon (probably after I had just downed the mini-dogs at their tent event !) and they had already started the prep on Saturday and finished up this morning. I'm heading over to the dealership in a few minutes !

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by J_'09s
I got my insurance today!! I cant wait for tomorrow.
Great news J_'09s, bet today is passing very slowly for you

My MINI is ready for P/U !!
I coincidentally was off today and I called my MA for an update and to let him know to reach me at home today if there was any update on the status of it arriving at the dealership. He then told me that the MINI actually arrived Saturday afternoon (probably after I had just downed the mini-dogs at their tent event !) and they had already started the prep on Saturday and finished up this morning. I'm heading over to the dealership in a few minutes !
Awesome! I'm sure you're already out the door and headed for the dealership, but remember we need pics!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I'm so jealous of you people with your new shiny MINIs. My MA is out until this afternoon so I have a couple of hours before I can even find out when the car will show up. The wait is unbearable.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
I'm so jealous of you people with your new shiny MINIs. My MA is out until this afternoon so I have a couple of hours before I can even find out when the car will show up. The wait is unbearable.
Hope your MA has good news for you this afternoon Perihelion After all this waiting I'm worried you might actually explode when you finally have a pickup date

Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
The really funny thing is that they didn't have any JCWs available for me to test drive the day I went to order it. It was snowing heavily and they only had the summer tires on so due to some legal liability reason, they couldn't let me take one out. As a result, I've NEVER DRIVEN A JCW. I only have my test drive in a Cooper S to use as a bench mark. Then I read all of the reviews and the experiences from the people on NAM that have them and I'm just itching to get through the break in period so I can find a twisty road and put the hammer down on the loud pedal. I've been staring at that empty space in the garage and trying to pass the time doing other stuff but realistically I just want to go out and motor.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
First a big thanks to Perihelion on helping me track my car as it comes in on the rails . So far it seems to be comming in a bit faster than I expected.

And of course since I got this info I've been bugging my MA about pick up. It's next to impossible to get him to commit to a date but he said "It could be ready as soon as Saturday if everything goes to plan". I hope this could be turns out to a will be.

These next few days while I await more pickup details are going to drive me crazy.

ps. yes I like to overuse smilies

Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
The really funny thing is that they didn't have any JCWs available for me to test drive the day I went to order it. It was snowing heavily and they only had the summer tires on so due to some legal liability reason, they couldn't let me take one out. As a result, I've NEVER DRIVEN A JCW. I only have my test drive in a Cooper S to use as a bench mark. Then I read all of the reviews and the experiences from the people on NAM that have them and I'm just itching to get through the break in period so I can find a twisty road and put the hammer down on the loud pedal. I've been staring at that empty space in the garage and trying to pass the time doing other stuff but realistically I just want to go out and motor.

Hold on you bought a JCW without driving one? But it's not fair that you can find out where my car is but not your own. You've waited much much longer than I have.

and an update from my MA. He said "If we can get our hands on it Thursday, it is very possible that it will be ready for you this week. I’ll stay on top of everyone here to make sure that if we can have it ready, we will" Soooooo close now.

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group