1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
cgossett
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topeka landed in CA early this AM !!!!!!

Hoping that everyone's car (mine included) get's through the distro center quickly...

Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Steveski,

Pre-congratulations for the arrival of your MINI ! How's the weather shaping up for the p/u day ?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Looks like the Topeka made port a day ahead of the new two day Panama Canal delayed scheduled, making it only one day behind the original schedule.

That means my Mini is in the USA!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:24 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Another pic, this time amusing

Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Great pic Cameroon, love the way your roof, mirrors, and wheels match. I just found out from CN that the car is in Alberta! Its about 2 hours from the Edmonton rail yard. Woohoo!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Steveski,

Pre-congratulations for the arrival of your MINI ! How's the weather shaping up for the p/u day ?

Thanks!

Mainly sunny with a high of 9C, that's 48.2F. Supposed to be like that for the whole weekend. Much better than the below freezing temps with wet snow we've had the last day or so.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cameroon
Another pic, this time amusing

Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Great pic Cameroon, love the way your roof, mirrors, and wheels match. I just found out from CN that the car is in Alberta! Its about 2 hours from the Edmonton rail yard. Woohoo!

Getting close!!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I'm reporting-in on my first fill of gasoline: 35.5 mpg, about the same as the computer said. The fill-up took 13.5 gallons, and the computer said I had about 10 miles left to go. Should have waited for that next gas station

Of course, I don't know how full the dealership had the tank, and this is break-in time, with me taking every exit and entrance ramp, and driving people nuts by varying my speed between 45 and 85, revving up to 3000 - 4000 rpm before changing gears.

My 2007 MCS got 34 mpg average, so 35.5 is not a great figure, considering the tremendous reduction in power, going from the turbo to the normally aspirated MC Clubman. Hoping to do better when I get past the break-in period and can quit challenging the engine.

The Goodyear all-season runflats on the new Clubman are a lot quieter and softer on the bumps than the Dunlop summer performance runflats were on the MCS. Handling is not so crisp, but it's a good trade-off with the condition of some roads around here.

Oddly, the Sport mode feels more spirited in the Clubman than it did in the MCS. Can't quite figure that one out.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Well, its not going to happen this weekend. CN got the car to the rail yard this morning but that particular rail car isn't due to be offloaded today. Since it takes a couple of business days to get it to the dealership and complete PDI and detail, and service isn't in on Friday due to the holiday, it will not be possible for me to take delivery this weekend. Bummer. 18th it is then.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Well, its not going to happen this weekend. CN got the car to the rail yard this morning but that particular rail car isn't due to be offloaded today. Since it takes a couple of business days to get it to the dealership and complete PDI and detail, and service isn't in on Friday due to the holiday, it will not be possible for me to take delivery this weekend. Bummer. 18th it is then.

I think that's what might have happend to mine. Nothing on any tracking site updated for about 2-3 days once it should have reached Toronto. It was probably just sitting in the rail car at the yard. I might of have had mine last week if this didn't happen.

At least you know you're only one week away.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Topeka pulled into port huaneme yesterday!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Topeka pulled into port huaneme yesterday!
I saw that, but I have not been able to confirm that my car got off. I'm sure it did, but MiniUSA is still saying it is in transit. I'm told by my MA that it will be about 2 weeks before I can pick mine up. How long is yours going to take to get to the island?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:46 PM
SiouxsieQ
1st Gear
Need more pics from the people who got their cars already. Need to live vicariously through you!
I haven't posted in this thread, but I have been following it. I brought my little guy home last Friday (April 3).

Here are a few pics for ya.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
hi all! cameroon, love the new pic glad to hear everyone's getting really close!

i have to say, this car is HARD to keep clean. it's been raining since i got it, and while the front of the car holds up ok, the back looks so dirty after even just a light drizzle.

i have to say - i'm at about 500 miles now, and this car is amazing. i don't even know where to begin. once i have some good weather, it's getting a nice wash/detailing (my supplies came in ) and i'm taking some pics!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Thanks for the pic, Cameroon, my other half always says the FJ Cruiser looks like the Cooper's big brother (I say redneck cousin once removed)...

bogs, I hear you on the rear end getting dirty - I've had as much rain up here, and I've washed him 3 times already! I have yet to install my mudflaps, maybe they'll help...also, what kind of detailing supplies did you get? I'm thinking about getting the Prima stuff - everyone over in the Detailing Thread raves about that line...

Hopefully I can take more pics this weekend - PhillyMINI is having a get together at Otto's on Saturday, it'll be Ianto's first outing with his new friends!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Dang SiouxsieQ, that looks great! Good color choice! What's with the giant rocking chair?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:24 AM
bogs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic17
bogs, I hear you on the rear end getting dirty - I've had as much rain up here, and I've washed him 3 times already! I have yet to install my mudflaps, maybe they'll help...also, what kind of detailing supplies did you get? I'm thinking about getting the Prima stuff - everyone over in the Detailing Thread raves about that line...
Yep, I ended up getting Prima Mystique, Hydro, and Nero. I'll let you know how it works out. I'll stick to my regular wax for now since everyone seems to use mostly Hydro anyway (instead of waxing often). I also got a Mr. Clean Auto Dry - I don't use their soap, just put the soap I want to use in it. I like it because I get to avoid putting my wash mitt in a bucket for the most part. Not sure how it will work with Mystique, but we'll see! I'll let you know how it goes...I'll probably wash it in the next few days if the weather looks like it'll be nice!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:49 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Great to hear that delivery times are getting really close for everyone now! And Steveski, have fun picking your MINI up today!

A word of caution when picking up, double check the edge of your doors for any paint chips. I had two (which my MA fixed, he missed them too) that were almost certainly from the door being opened into something. They weren't big (I didn't even see the 2nd, the paint guy did), but once I knew where it was I couldn't not see it.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
SiouxsieQ (like the name!), nice car! Hope you're having as much fun in the break-in period as I am

As for keeping it clean, yeah the boot gets dirty fast but mud flaps won't help much. It's more from the air over the top of the car that is pulled down against the boot and deposits dust. And if your car is wet...

I've already done a carwash, though finished it up under porch lights I have to beg wash areas from friends, so I take what I can get when I can get it.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
So I'm only at 500 miles or so but I couldn't hold out any longer and tried out the sport button last night. I believe my reaction from just tapping the throttle at the green light was HOLY SH*T! My R53 never had throttle response like that....it was fast, but this was insane. Now I need to keep myself under control and not use that button again until after 1200. Easier said than done.

I'm also waiting for nice weather to do my first wash but in Vermont that means May at the earliest. Bogs, let us know how the Prima stuff works, I'm going to be ordering some Mystique, Hydro and maybe Epic + some monster fluffys.

I still haven't installed my JCW scoop but I did install the side reflector tint, looks great. I also got my long awaited floor mats from the dealer, so had to vacuum the driver's side carpet last night before installing. Glad to finally have them in.

Last edited by Chimera; 04-09-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I can't wait to press the sport button in my MINI. I took an S for a test drive and the sport button was a hoot in that. Still never driven a JCW so we'll see what the sport button does in THAT!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:29 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
So I'm only at 500 miles or so but I couldn't hold out any longer and tried out the sport button last night. I believe my reaction from just tapping the throttle at the green light was HOLY SH*T! My R53 never had throttle response like that....it was fast, but this was insane. Now I need to keep myself under control and not use that button again until after 1200. Easier said than done.
Were you told to not use the Sport button, or are you doing that by choice?

I don't think I've done more than backup without the Sport button on, because I don't like the mushy feeling of the throttle response without it on.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Oh, it was by choice....because I know once I hit that button, keeping it under the manual-recommended 4500 rpms is going to be tough.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
Oh, it was by choice....because I know once I hit that button, keeping it under the manual-recommended 4500 rpms is going to be tough.
Heh, yeah, I set myself a soft limit of 4000 rpms for that very reason

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group