1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snb3
Got a call from my MA, said car is ready for pick up. That'll make me the first of many for the Topeka off @ Pt. Hueneme. Just a short delivery from Oxnard to Long Beach. Its been so long since I last sat in a Clubber there's that strange sort of anticipation feeling you get when you meet an old acquaintance. I'll pick it up 2morrow as I'll be going to a baby's first b-day, whose father himself picked up a PS Clubber 2 wks ago.
Congrats!

Wow, dealerships where you are, are open Sundays? They're all Monday-Saturday around here.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Good news snb3!!! I'm not sure where mines is right now, but I sure hope its on the road heading west

Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find the car a lot easier to drive with the sport button engaged. It feels that way because the throttle is so much more reactive and that helps when driving manual and i have to go over so many speed bumps around here.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
someguyfromMaryland
2nd Gear
I finally took delivery of my BRG MCS and, to be fair, I have to give props to Mini of Annapolis. My car took almost 2 weeks to be released from the VDC in NYC, but they turned it around overnight and delivered it on Saturday morning. It would have been nice to drive off into the rising sun, but it rained all morning. Not to worry, I washed the car once the rains stopped and tucked it away in the garage for a sunnier day.
First impressions on a 40 minute drive:
- there is alot to learn with all of the controls
- the shifter has a nice feel, but most 6 speeds take getting used to before you really row them hard due to the risk of a money shift
- the ride is really impressive for such a short wheelbase, they must have done a lot of work since the first generation MCS

Easter Sunday should be a beautiful day for an extended afternoon breakin drive.
someguyfromMaryland

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
Here's my CF scoop, before and after

Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
That's a hot scoop. I LOVE CF...

Old 04-12-2009, 03:04 AM
snb3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Steveski
Congrats!

Wow, dealerships where you are, are open Sundays? They're all Monday-Saturday around here.

Long Beach Mini.
Nothing really closes in Socal. All dealers are open on sundays, most until 9pm. LB Mini closes @ 6pm.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 AM
snb3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
Good news snb3!!! I'm not sure where mines is right now, but I sure hope its on the road heading west
I still don't get it: They'd rather ship it around NA, then rail it back to Colorado instead of dropping it off @ the Atlantic, then rail-ling it west (???) They must know something we don't because shipping a 2500 lb pkg around the Panama sounds pretty expensive.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
I still don't get it: They'd rather ship it around NA, then rail it back to Colorado instead of dropping it off @ the Atlantic, then rail-ling it west (???) They must know something we don't because shipping a 2500 lb pkg around the Panama sounds pretty expensive.

I guess one boat with thousands of cars is still cheaper to move than a fleet trains carrying, well I don't know how many cars a train can carry but I doubt it's more than a couple hundred.

After a few days of driving I have two words. Brake Dust. Cameroon: you must be wiping those white rims every other day.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
At least the rims you have are straight forward to clean Steveski, I'm dreading this problem on challenge spokes. To make it worse, very few aftermarket pads are available for the JCW brake kit. I may have to get Carbotech ceramics to keep the dust down...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Did any of you order the Clear Bra to guard against road grit ? Full, partial, Just front bumbper & headlights ? Cost ?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I didn't get it at the dealer because of their price. I'm getting 3M done by a smaller shop here in town. The front part of the hood, front fenders, and mirror backs together come to about $200 CAD. Its what I had on my WRX and it held up very well. No yellowing or anything.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
I was thinking the same thing, but it may also have something to do with the huge processing center BMW has on the west cost. My MA said they bring them out to Denver in covered trucks, not trains. Another surprise. I would think rail would be less expensive and safer.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
TinaP
1st Gear
Week 12

I believe I am week 12. My Mini is currently on the Carmen heading towards CA. Anyone else on that ship???

Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Steveski
I guess one boat with thousands of cars is still cheaper to move than a fleet trains carrying, well I don't know how many cars a train can carry but I doubt it's more than a couple hundred.

After a few days of driving I have two words. Brake Dust. Cameroon: you must be wiping those white rims every other day.
Every couple days? Try every couple trips!

I actually carry a fairly large microfiber towel (that's in need of a wash right now) and a spray bottle with water in the boot. That way if I want to show it off a little I can clean up the rims If I did wipe 'em off every other day or so, they'd stay fairly clean looking. It's when the dust gets a chance to really bake on that requires water to clean up.

It's worth it though, I get a lot of compliments on the way it looks with them. And as long as they stay far enough away, they still look white Ceramics are definitely on my list of purchases and probably before the current set wear out.

The pleasure I'm getting from having a nice looking car really is making me consider getting a "clear bra" applied after all. Listening to sand and debris bounce of the front driving down the highway makes me cringe OLarryR, I've posed the question of recommendations to the DCMM group and since you're in NOVA too, if I get any hits I'll pass the info along to you.

Sorry I've been sort of MIA everyone, had a busy week and weekend. Including a few hours washing the car to show it off to my siblings It's good to hear that the deliveries are still working there way to everyone and there haven't been any more big delays. Can't wait to see the pics!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TinaP
I believe I am week 12. My Mini is currently on the Carmen heading towards CA. Anyone else on that ship???
Welcome Tina! Hopefully some others on your ship will chime in since this thread became somewhat wider ranging than just week 11

So what did you order?

Old 04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
TinaP
1st Gear
I know but there is no week 12 group. Hope you all dont mind.

I ordered the 09 MCSC Chili red with black stripes, Performance, Cold weather and convenience packages. Navigation, white turn signals. So excited cant wait 11 more days.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
I know but there is no week 12 group. Hope you all dont mind.
Oh we definitely don't mind! We've got everything from Week 9 through Week 12 now. We're one big happy family

I ordered the 09 MCSC Chili red with black stripes, Performance, Cold weather and convenience packages. Navigation, white turn signals. So excited cant wait 11 more days.
Nice! I really like the white signals and the heated seats work great.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
TinaP
1st Gear
especially in Washington State....can get cold.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Cameroon,

I am still on the fence regarding the Clear Bra. But, if you do come up with recommendations or decide to just bring it back to MofS, then that may be enough for me to also throw the towel in and get it done.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
I have had the clear Bra on other cars and I'm having it put on my Mini too. It is worth it, especially in areas where they put sand on the roads in the winter. Around here I think they use gravel instead of sand.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I had a clear bra on my R53 but since my commute changed from 80 miles per day to 12, I'm skipping it on my R56. I only had the front of the bonnet done before and the seam bugged me, and I don't think there's anyone local who could do the whole bonnet to my satisfaction.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Interesting -

The Owners' Lounge tells me that my car is "At Distribution Center".

The Ask Mini status line says it is at the port waiting for a ship (sounds like they want to send it back to England).

When I click on "Review Order Detail" in the Owners' Lounge it says that it should be at the Dealer on 4/16.

You would think they could do a little better at keeping track for us. In any case, my car IS heading my way

Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Cameroon,

I am still on the fence regarding the Clear Bra. But, if you do come up with recommendations or decide to just bring it back to MofS, then that may be enough for me to also throw the towel in and get it done.
I'm leaning more and more towards getting it done, but my final decision will likely rest with the quotes I get for material and installation.

Originally Posted by Chimera
I had a clear bra on my R53 but since my commute changed from 80 miles per day to 12, I'm skipping it on my R56. I only had the front of the bonnet done before and the seam bugged me, and I don't think there's anyone local who could do the whole bonnet to my satisfaction.
My commute is ~5 miles, but it's 90% highway and there's all sorts of crap on the roads. Lots of dump trucks, too, where mud/sand/whatever shake loose. The quotes I'm asking for are the full bonnet + bumper and mirror caps - the seam would bug me to no end

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
Interesting -

The Owners' Lounge tells me that my car is "At Distribution Center".

The Ask Mini status line says it is at the port waiting for a ship (sounds like they want to send it back to England).

When I click on "Review Order Detail" in the Owners' Lounge it says that it should be at the Dealer on 4/16.

You would think they could do a little better at keeping track for us. In any case, my car IS heading my way
Heheh, my car was in my hands and the Owner's Lounge still had it "En Route".

[Edit] In fact, it still has my car as "En Route" and I've had it for two weeks.

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group