1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo! My MA called and the car is THERE! They'll wrap up the PDI and detail over the next few days. I have delivery scheduled for 9am on Saturday.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Great news!

I'm trying to get my dealer to commit to a week from this Friday. Its scheduled to arrive on Thursday and they want it for a week before they will let me have it.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Perihelion,

Great news ! Don't forget to bring your camera and get those newborn photos !

Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
COKen,

Well, your day is coming. I'm surprised they want to hold it a week....Are they putting it into quarantine ? Maybe they will let you see at least see it from a distance this weekend !

Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Yup, gotta get lots of pics. I'm going to sleep well tonight. I've been listening to JCW exhaust clips on Youtube all evening....

Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Awesome news Perihelion and COKen! Finally!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Perihelion,

Great news ! Don't forget to bring your camera and get those newborn photos !
Don't worry, he'll get pics before the delivery date!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Thanks mansize, you're help has been invaluable in the maintenance of my sanity. Less than 96 hours to go!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
Great news!

I'm trying to get my dealer to commit to a week from this Friday. Its scheduled to arrive on Thursday and they want it for a week before they will let me have it.
A whole week, I'd be phoning/emailing my MA so much they'd get it done in a day just to shut me up

Originally Posted by Perihelion
Woohoo! My MA called and the car is THERE! They'll wrap up the PDI and detail over the next few days. I have delivery scheduled for 9am on Saturday.
Only a 117 day wait. It wasn't that long now was it?

I'm still on my first tank of gas! I've put on around 500km since last Thursday. I think I still have 3-4 'corns' of gas left on the gauge, not too shabby as I've been doing mostly city driving, and shifting 3000-4000 most of the time just to try and vary the engine speed.

Happy motoring to the soon to be Mini owners!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I felt every one of the 113 days so far. The next 4 aren't likely to be any easier. Holy smokes, 500kms and still 3 slices to go? What is everyone getting per tank??? I knew that fuel economy was good, I've even heard people talk about the magic 40mpg number but I'm staggered at what Steveski is getting. Is that typical?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
I felt every one of the 113 days so far. The next 4 aren't likely to be any easier. Holy smokes, 500kms and still 3 slices to go? What is everyone getting per tank??? I knew that fuel economy was good, I've even heard people talk about the magic 40mpg number but I'm staggered at what Steveski is getting. Is that typical?

At least the weather seems to be good for this weekend.

And 'they' say a car improves its milage once it's broken in, if true I'm all for that

One more pic I took on pickup. A simple shot of the tach right after the car pulled out of the showroom showing 000018km on it.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Just got an email from my MA and I'm scheduled to pick it up on 4/24

Am I the last from the Topeka to get my car, except for MotorMouth of course?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Steveski
At least the weather seems to be good for this weekend.

And 'they' say a car improves its milage once it's broken in, if true I'm all for that

One more pic I took on pickup. A simple shot of the tach right after the car pulled out of the showroom showing 000018km on it.

Well, with pure highway driving I am getting up in the 33mpg range. The computer tells me 35, but I think it lies. So far my calculations at each fillup have shown my computer off by about 2mpg.

My fillups have mostly been around 320 miles (think that's about 515km) with 2-3 dots left on the gauge.

And Steveski, I wish I'd thought of that - I had 1 mile on mine

Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I wish someone would just, for once, produce a linear gas gauge! Can it really be THAT hard to do?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I wish someone would just, for once, produce a linear gas gauge! Can it really be THAT hard to do?
No kidding, there's no way it's a technical issue. Even if the tank shape is non-linear (larger on top, smaller on bottom - so linear travel of the float wouldn't be linear volume of fuel) I'm sure that a bit of math could be done to get a more linear reading throughout the range of the gauge.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
I think my old Focus was the only car I had that had a linear gauge. I pretty much got 100km per quarter. The car was a POS but at least Ford did one thing right and gave it a linear gauge

Last edited by Steveski; 04-14-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Cameroon,

Let me know if you get any recommendations for the Clear Bra installation from the Metro DC MINI Assoc. I may very well have it done along with you if the place is somewhat convenient for me. Maybe they will give a further discount for two MINIs.

I would also lean toward getting the full hood but possibly would consider just the blunt front end and headlights. Not so hot about doing half the hood and having that edge in the middle even if it is barely visible. Not sure if doing the full hood is any concern regarding heat dissipation from the hood and also possibly effecting the film that is applied. The hood gets pretty hot. It's probably not an issue.

Doing only the front end and headlight is way less expensive compared to doing that and the full hood. If I am to do it, like to get it done in the next 1-3 weeks. Run more risk of paint chips/dings the longer we wait.

Other option is to just get it done by MofS. It will cost more but I am sure the guys they use must be familiar with applying it to MINIs and with those having stripes on the hood.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Cameroon,

Let me know if you get any recommendations for the Clear Bra installation from the Metro DC MINI Assoc. I may very well have it done along with you if the place is somewhat convenient for me. Maybe they will give a further discount for two MINIs.

I would also lean toward getting the full hood but possibly would consider just the blunt front end and headlights. Not so hot about doing half the hood and having that edge in the middle even if it is barely visible. Not sure if doing the full hood is any concern regarding heat dissipation from the hood and also possibly effecting the film that is applied. The hood gets pretty hot. It's probably not an issue.

Doing only the front end and headlight is way less expensive compared to doing that and the full hood. If I am to do it, like to get it done in the next 1-3 weeks. Run more risk of paint chips/dings the longer we wait.

Other option is to just get it done by MofS. It will cost more but I am sure the guys they use must be familiar with applying it to MINIs and with those having stripes on the hood.
Was getting ready to post - there are three places that I got recommendations for, though "in our area" is definitely subjective I'll PM you the details I got and what I've thought of the options.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steveski

What is the red warning light?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Parking brake indicator I think...

Old 04-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Yup, that's the parking brake light.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
75.5 hrs to go....

Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im happy your finally getting it dude

Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Glad to hear both Perihelion and COKen are finally (FINALLY) having delivery dates set....that's awesome! Now we all wait for that final date for MotorMouth....

Oh, and Cameroon - I hear if you use Hydro from PrimaCare on your wheels, the brake dust is so much easier to take off...I used Hydro this past weekend when I washed the little guy, and it's amazing how this stuff works - so easy to dry the car, and it's so shiny! And I recommend Clarity for the windows - no streaking whatsoever (and I'm a stickler for super clean windows)...

I too wish I'd have taken a pic of my odometer - I had 5 miles at delivery. I was too unnerved about having to leave in the rain (darn east coast spring weather)...now if I could just get through this break-in period so I can rev PAST 4K to see what ***** this little guy really has!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic17
Glad to hear both Perihelion and COKen are finally (FINALLY) having delivery dates set....that's awesome! Now we all wait for that final date for MotorMouth....
I think I'll need to raise a pint for Perihelion when he finally gets to pick up his car, it's been a pretty long journey!

Oh, and Cameroon - I hear if you use Hydro from PrimaCare on your wheels, the brake dust is so much easier to take off...I used Hydro this past weekend when I washed the little guy, and it's amazing how this stuff works - so easy to dry the car, and it's so shiny! And I recommend Clarity for the windows - no streaking whatsoever (and I'm a stickler for super clean windows)...

I too wish I'd have taken a pic of my odometer - I had 5 miles at delivery. I was too unnerved about having to leave in the rain (darn east coast spring weather)...now if I could just get through this break-in period so I can rev PAST 4K to see what ***** this little guy really has!
I'll keep that in mind about the Hydro, though I think I'm going to end up a Zaino guy I figure I'll know by the end of the summer, as long as my friends don't get tired of me using them for their driveways

Got about 60 miles before my break-in period is over!

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group