1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 PM
mansize
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Woohoo! My MA called and the car is THERE! They'll wrap up the PDI and detail over the next few days. I have delivery scheduled for 9am on Saturday.
Best check your email for some pre-PDI shots... you've got pics...

Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mansize
Best check your email for some pre-PDI shots... you've got pics...

Did a little spy work did we?

But Perihelion shouldn't look, it's like seeing the bride before the wedding, lol.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Steveski

But Perihelion shouldn't look, it's like seeing the bride before the wedding, lol.
But since it's pre-PDI she's not yet in her wedding dress, so it's ok

Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I'm at just over 900, 300 more to go My wife had to go on a road trip for work today and wanted to take the MINI...I was all for it until she mentioned that 3 other people would be going with her. I'm ashamed to say I was a whiny b*stard and told her there was no way she was squeezing 4 people into my brand new car. I feel bad about it, but I know that no matter how careful she is (and I know she would take care of it) that one of the other people would scratch or scuff something getting in and out of the back. MINIs were not built for 4 adults, period.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I'm at just over 900, 300 more to go My wife had to go on a road trip for work today and wanted to take the MINI...I was all for it until she mentioned that 3 other people would be going with her. I'm ashamed to say I was a whiny b*stard and told her there was no way she was squeezing 4 people into my brand new car. I feel bad about it, but I know that no matter how careful she is (and I know she would take care of it) that one of the other people would scratch or scuff something getting in and out of the back. MINIs were not built for 4 adults, period.
I've only let one other person drive mine, so I know where you're coming from They also balk at me saying "no food in the car", but for some reason forget that I had the same deal before.

To quell any curiosity, it was my previous boss who had gone with me to pick up my previous car and teach me how to drive stick

Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
mansize
3rd Gear

The internet has made us all better spies...

Oh, he's gotta look, only chance to see it with the wrapper still on...

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
You guys guessed it...I peeked! Here she is pre-PDI and detail. Can't wait to see what she looks like on delivery day!

HUGE thanks to mansize for grabbing these pics for me. I'll be seeing these pictures in my dreams tonight....

Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
WOO HOO! Perihelion finally has a pic! Nice JCW!

Chimera, I totally get where you're coming from - I have friends who want to drive my MINI, and I won't let them near it (I've only let my dad drive it, well, because he's my dad) - I haven't even let my buddy who has the GP I drove that started all this MINI craze for me drive it yet! (Did that make sense?)

And Cameroon, I have the no food rule as well, and all drinks must be in sealed containers (but my friends retort "but you got vinyl, it'll clean up") - why is it ok to trash my car, but not their own?

And I have another rule - no messenger bags in the front seat. I have a friend who carries one with him wherever he goes - call it his "man purse" (be nice). He's always flipping open the front flap looking for stuff (CD's he wants to listen to, etc), and the last time he was in my Scion, he flipped that d*mn front flap so hard that it scratched my glovebox door - so what does he do? Looks at me and asks "did I do that"? Then proceeds to lick his finger and try and rub it out! I pulled over, told him to get out, and put the bag in the trunk. That scratch was 4 inches long, and no matter what I did, it never came out. I told him when I traded the Scion in on the MINI that I got less $$ for it because of all the scratches on the interior.

That bag gets nowhere near my MINI.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I've got the no-food rule as well. Water is fine, no other beverages either. I am looking forward to the ease of cleaning for the leatherette...I'm told the seats are made from only the finest plastic cows...

Looks the weather is going to cooperate this weekend. I'm going to attempt to put on somewhere between 600kms and 1000kms in Edmonton before coming back to Calgary. We'll probably drop in on a bunch of towns on the way home too to break up the highway cruising...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:39 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
I think that is a great color Perihelion. Both of my other two cars are the same color, but my Mini is going to be BRG

Glad the weather is staying away from your area, but I think you must have pushed it down here. They are saying we may get as much as a foot of snow Fri and Sat here in Denver and more in the mountains. My Mini is scheduled to be coming over those mountains on Fri or Sat

Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
You guys guessed it...I peeked! Here she is pre-PDI and detail. Can't wait to see what she looks like on delivery day!

HUGE thanks to mansize for grabbing these pics for me. I'll be seeing these pictures in my dreams tonight....

S A W E E T!

I can't imagine how those bigger JCW brakes grab. The stock S brakes are very grippy, the stopping distance in your car must be hella-low. I really like those rims but now I see what you mean about the pattern. It's going to take a while to wipe those down. But with those you get a nice view of the painted calipers. I do find it weird that Mini only uses a 4 bolt pattern on their 17" wheels.

Only a two more sleeps! But I do wonder how long it would have taken without that "RUSH" sticker on it,lol.

Last edited by Steveski; 04-16-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Hah hah, if they put a rush sticker on it every time my MA called logistics to have them rush it, the whole car would be wallpapered in those stickers.

I'm still not convinced that I like the Factory Aero Kit but I had no choice about it when I ordered. I like the look of black wheel arches. We'll see how it looks in person, I may have to get busy with the plastidip.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Hah hah, if they put a rush sticker on it every time my MA called logistics to have them rush it, the whole car would be wallpapered in those stickers.

I'm still not convinced that I like the Factory Aero Kit but I had no choice about it when I ordered. I like the look of black wheel arches. We'll see how it looks in person, I may have to get busy with the plastidip.
Why did you have no choice?

Other than that, I generally love the fully painted aero kits. At some point I'm planning on getting the JCW Aero kit and will be seeing about getting the arches painted. Time will tell, though. It might look funny on the Laser Blue but it looks great with the DS

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
In Canada, JCWs automatically come with the Factory Aero Kit. You can't get them in standard R56 MINI dress. I really wouldn't have minded the stealth factor of a JCW in Cooper S dress. Maybe it will grow on me once I see mine in person.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
My MINI is at a local shop today getting inspected....since I bought the car out of state and just got my registration transferred, it had to be inspected even though it had a NY inspection 3 weeks ago. I hate handing over the "key" to someone else....

Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Glad to see Steveski pick up on the irony of the "RUSH" sticker - what, it's only been +/- 4 months??

Old 04-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
In Canada, JCWs automatically come with the Factory Aero Kit. You can't get them in standard R56 MINI dress. I really wouldn't have minded the stealth factor of a JCW in Cooper S dress. Maybe it will grow on me once I see mine in person.
From what I've read that Aero Kit improves handling at high speeds. How high is high I do not know but I'll bet you'll be tempted to find out.

Last edited by Steveski; 04-16-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Perihelion,

I like the color ! I like the wheels !

Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Thanks everyone. I like the wheels too but I wish they were lighter. Come to think of it, my mother who's 60 likes the wheels. Yeah, its been 4 months now. 34.5 hrs to go...as if I'm going to get any sleep at all tomorrow night.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
From what I've read that Aero Kit improves handling at high speeds. How high is high I do not know but I'll bet you'll be tempted to find out.
Where did you hear this from Steveski? I'd love to follow up on that one.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
My MINI is at a local shop today getting inspected....since I bought the car out of state and just got my registration transferred, it had to be inspected even though it had a NY inspection 3 weeks ago. I hate handing over the "key" to someone else....
Got my MINI back after inspection, no damage or problems While QD'ing last night though I did notice a stone chip on the bumper already. I guess it's impossible to avoid without a full clear bra but at least it's not the hood. I'll get some touch-up paint at some point...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Chimera, glad to hear everything went smoothly with the inspection. For my other cars, the first chip was the most painful, then you accept that its just part of the reality of having a car you love on the road as opposed to hiding in the garage.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Gah! 25 hrs to go. Time has now slowed to a crawl and I'm pretty sure I just saw the minute hand on my wall clock click backwards one notch just to mock me....

To top it off, I now seem to be living in a commercial. Someone left my company lately and I inherited their team. Sounds like a promotion right? Nope, they just brought me their giant list of problems which are now MY problem now. Didn't I just see this in a commercial for M&M Meat Shops?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Gah! 25 hrs to go. Time has now slowed to a crawl and I'm pretty sure I just saw the minute hand on my wall clock click backwards one notch just to mock me....

To top it off, I now seem to be living in a commercial. Someone left my company lately and I inherited their team. Sounds like a promotion right? Nope, they just brought me their giant list of problems which are now MY problem now. Didn't I just see this in a commercial for M&M Meat Shops?
I think I managed to sleep like 4 hours the night before I had my pickup The worst will be after work or whatever things "have" to be done and you're just killing time. At least it was for me.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
If anything goes wrong with delivery, I'm going to be a very unhappy camper...On the other hand, a nice new MINI should be just the thing to cure my troubles these days.

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group