1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I am SO PISSED right now.

This is way worse than the first ding. In fact I never got any dings. But I was just REAR FREAKING ENDED!!!!!

A mini van in front of me was slowing as people were turning into a strip mall. I in turn slow down. But the mini van behind me, with 4 teenage girls in it(the driver was 17) didn't slow down at all, ramming me and pushing my MINI into the van in front.

I am absolutely speachless right now. I barely had the car for 2 months!!

So it's at the towing yard now, going to the dealership on Monday.

I got some crappy cell pix but honestly my wife is not sure how to get them off the phone.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:40 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
That is terrible news. At least you are OK (except for your blood pressure). How bad is it? Just sheet metal or could there be more damage below the surface?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 PM
melcmini
2nd Gear
I am so sorry..... How bad do you think it is? I really feel for you, wow...

Old 05-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by melcmini
I am so sorry..... How bad do you think it is? I really feel for you, wow...

Well the back end is pretty smashed, while the front end looks better, it's still far from untouched. I'm no mechanic, so judging damage visually is not my thing. Who knows, it could be far worse than it looks.

My neck is sore, my back is starting to tighten up. I'll have to make an appt. with my doctor.

I wound't call it a write off but I think it'll cost at least 10,000 cdn to fix all the damage, heck 15,000 might be a possibility. Who knows, I'd prefer a write off and get a whole new car now, but I doubt that's going to happen.

The towing company is dropping it off at the dealership on Monday, so once the insurance adjuster takes a look I'll get some more info. But until then I'm MINI-less and back to driving my wifes Cavalier . The car only had around 3100km on it. Still smelled new.

I've heard some really great things about my dealers body shop, but I know she won't be the same.

Here's some sh!tty cell phone pix. Taken by the wife Jackie, on a crappy cell phone.

\

In the above pic that's me in the green shorts and black t-shirt waiting for the Police to finish their report.

So damn pissed off right now

Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch that sucks!

are those the girls that were in the van?

*thinking evil thoughts that I shouldn't voice*

Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Oh man, that sucks!

Maybe it will just be replacing the rear bumper & hatch + front bumper & bonnet. Least I hope so, and that they can do it quickly (or that they give you the write off and a whole new car).

What a horrid way to spend the weekend!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:45 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Sorry for your MINI, glad you were not more seriously injured.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
thx for the support guys

As I said in the thread I made about this collision, Gotta love the net, a place where you can get some genuine sympathy from complete strangers.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:28 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Steveski,

Major bummer. I hope you find a good collision repair shop to get you back motoring ASAP. Best of luck.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Thx Mansize,

It's at my dealer's own collision shop now. This is one big family run group of business with various car dealerships and a body shop all owned by different brothers.

I've heard good things about their body work, infact(although not personally verified) they actually have customers comming over from the US to get their Bimmers worked on there. So I at least have some confidence in them, well more than any other body shop I probably would have gone to. At least they should have got MINI/BMW training.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
At last weekends run I noticed one of the local club members had the flickering brake light mod done to his MCS. Can't say I care for the look, but maybe it will help prevent those following behind from creaming into our cars... what else can we do to get people to pay attention to their driving?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
TinaP
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its called the Pulsar light and you can get it at the gominigo.com website. I just got it installed on my R57. I like it as people can see me better, and every little advantage helps.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:46 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Have not checked in for awhile. I see we have our first "custom by crash" MINI. Steveski, truly sorry for your damaged vehicle. At least it seems confined to the rear mostly. Though, hard to say from viewing the photos.

Any estimate how long it will take to get it back ? If it has been at the shop since around 25Mar, I would think you would be getting it back in a few days or by this Friday unless they had to order some parts that have long lead times ??

Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Have not checked in for awhile. I see we have our first "custom by crash" MINI. Steveski, truly sorry for your damaged vehicle. At least it seems confined to the rear mostly. Though, hard to say from viewing the photos.

Any estimate how long it will take to get it back ? If it has been at the shop since around 25Mar, I would think you would be getting it back in a few days or by this Friday unless they had to order some parts that have long lead times ??

It's been two weeks today that she was struck down in her prime. Friday June 12 is the 'target date' to get her back. But early/mid last week parts were on order so I think the week after is more likely. They said it should be about a week after parts come in.

It looks like damage is estimated around 11-12k Canadian. My insurance company says 'I'm not at fault' so nothing really bad should happen to my rates. As for the girl that hit me though......I'm guessing she'll be screwed on her rates for quite some time. Considering her company will be paying out for my car, hers and the one she pushed me into. $$$$$

Here's a couple pics from the dealers shop the day they got the car.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
$11-$12K....unbelievable ! Looking at the first photos, it did not look that bad. Okay, looking at the latest photos, I see it involves at least a new bonnet, hatch and full rear bumper. Still....that's a lot of dough considering the frame and main body require no work.

I guess she learned or is learning an important lesson thru this whole ordeal....If you are going to hit a car, don't hit a new one !

Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
$11-$12K....unbelievable ! Looking at the first photos, it did not look that bad. Okay, looking at the latest photos, I see it involves at least a new bonnet, hatch and full rear bumper. Still....that's a lot of dough considering the frame and main body require no work.

I guess she learned or is learning an important lesson thru this whole ordeal....If you are going to hit a car, don't hit a new one !

Several months ago my nephew backed into our 2004 Chevy Cavelier. I was in their driveway, behind one of their cars. He was going to pick up his girlfriend, got in their Liberty, didn't look behind him, put it in reverse and bang! Anyway my point on that is all I needed was a new hood, get it painted and blend the paint with the fenders as to make it less noticable. Well that repair was just under $1100CAN.

So after getting a good look at the MINI damage, and knowing what it cost to fix the Cav., I'm not at all surprised that it's going to cost that much. And this is getting fixed at the dealer as opposed to a 3rd party body shop, so I'm sure that might add a bit to the cost.

I recall someone walking by looking at my car right after the crash saying, "why the hell did you have to hit a BMW". That still gives me a chuckle. If she hasn't learned anything yet, I'm sure she will when her premiums go up.

But in the end, cars are fixable. Everybody walked away. It could have been much worse.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I'm sure we all have some good/bad crash stories. Here is mine...but it has a happy conclusion....and spells good news for your MINI !

Okay...this a bit long...I sometimes do a SUB run on Fridays for those in our office. I put out the EMail and those from our office and adjoining offices/Departments come over and sign-up/pay for a sub sandwich and I make the run to a really good sub place and bring back anywhere from 15-45 subs for the day. The next day's sub run was going to be Friday 6/6/06. A number of people indicated, you sure you want to make a sub run on that date...it's considered "unlucky" !? I said "sure" it seems lucky to me !!!!!

Coming back from the sub shop and travelling in the parking garage to find a spot, a guy coming down a ramp hit my Prelude broadside between the driver's door and front fender. I was in the striaght area and I stopped when I saw him proceed passed the down ramp and he had 1 foot large letters "STOP" on a Stop Line on the ramp. Then I get back to the office and give out all the subs and I had a grape soda with mine. As I opened the soda, it completely sprayed my PC keyboard and telephone. I had to basically use a sopping wet paper towel to water down the keyboard and phone keys to get them unstuck !! So....maybe 6/6/06 was an unlucky date !!

Fast forward after my car was fixed (by the way, my insurance company and company lawyers are still trying to extracate the cash from that guy that hit me - I was not at fault based on photos I took and the subpena he was given to show up in court but then agreed to pay and then reneged !!)...but the good news was that my car was fully fixed after the accident - Replaced the door and somehow unmangled the front fender...a super job and color match !!! You could not tell the car was ever in a crash !!

So what's coming up this year....9/9/09...hope it doesn't fall on a Friday Sub Day !

Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
I've been quiet for the last few weeks, but that was due to vacation

Steveski, I was hoping that you'd have your MINI back by now but it seems like it will be relatively soon. Hope it comes back good as new.

And Larry? Don't go getting subs on bad luck days any more

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
While not much is happening...and we have a day or so hoping that Steveski gets his MINI back.....thought i would direct you to one semi-boring/interesting posting I started on little coin holders and a caddy that fits in the interior of the MINI. They are definitely not necessary but thought i would share the thread. It's located in the Clubman Forum:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-holder.html

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
note to self: do not go on sub runs!

Well my latest update is the car is almost fixed. Apparantly the body work is pretty close to being finished and they're just waiting for the new exhaust to come in. Unfortunately that part is due in on Friday. So while they're still shooting for Friday to get the MINI back to me, I'm guessing early next week is more likely.

Hopefully I get in a better mood soon.

This is the email my MA sent me this morning.

Getting close
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:45 AM
To: Rich Acosta
Subject: Re: Dark Silver Cooper S
Trying to have it done for friday waiting on the exhaust that will be in
then. Other then that all is almost done
------Original Message------
To: Swav Pietras
Subject: RE: Dark Silver Cooper S
Sent: Jun 10, 2009 9:49 AM
That's the one. Got rear ended by a teenage girl in a Mini Van.

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:46 AM
To: Rich Acosta
Subject: RE: Dark Silver Cooper S

What car is that ?
The big insurance clm.

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:46 AM
To: Swav Pietras
Subject: Dark Silver Cooper S

Hi Swav,

Any update on the Dark Silver Cooper S that was awaiting parts to fix
up?

Cheers,

Rich Acosta

Sales Rep
MINI Oakville

Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Well...I'm doin a sub run tomorrow. It's a moral booster...everyone loves the subs from this one deli. Even have some of our top brass sometimes ordering....sure hope they never screw up their order or I'm toast !

But...I'm bringing my old '98 Prelude tomorrow. Keeps the battery alive driving it at least once a week and since i have so many subs to bring back, I load a rolling cart into the trunk. On the Clubman, the cart fits but i have to fold down the seats and roll the cart somewhat in and then some of the road grit from the cart's wheels get's in the Clubman. On my Prelude. the cart just fits into the trunk and since i just lift it and put it in, very little road grit comes off the cart's wheels.

I WILL sell my Prelude....but it's hard parting company ! I have not aggressively advertised it yet. Only on Craig's List in the Northern VA/Wash DC area. I advertised it for $4600 w/163K miles on it and everything works. Have had a few nibbles but only one serious looker. I came down to $4000 but he wanted to look at one more car - An Eclipse that was selling for $1000 less...and I guess he bought it.

Anyway ....so is STeveski getting his MINI back tomorrow ? Let's get the voting in...who says it will be Friday ? Saturday ? Monday ? Tuesday or later ??

I'll cast my vote for tomorrow - Friday !!! Good luck hopefully for that afternoon phone call !!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Well OLarryR, you're right!!!!

I just got the call I can pick her up after 4pm today I had a feeling it was going to be Tues. but I'm not complaining.

Let's hope all the repairs are to my liking.

Getting it today was a close call though. They were expecting parts deliveries twice today. I was just waiting on the exhaust to come in. If it came on the early truck then pick up would have(is) been today, if on the later truck then pick up would have been next week as they wouldn't have had enough time to install, road test, etc....

Soon..........

Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Well, I'm impressed.

The MINI was clean, and ready to go when I got to the shop. Every thing seems good right now. Too much traffic here right now to open her up, but so far it's like nothing happened. Which is great!

They even fueled her up for me. I only had around 3-4 corns of gas and now she's full

I don't have the bill handy but the total came out to 11,3XX.xx. Within what I predicted but still .

It feels good to be back

Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Steveski,

So glad you got it as expected...today ! Like getting a new car all over again ! And you can congratulate yourself by unitentionally helping to stimulate the economy ! ($11.3K)

Old 06-30-2009, 04:11 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
[Edit]Doh, I see you got your Mini back and all Steveski, so instead I have no intro for these pics

From the DC Metro Mini "Hangin' on the Curves & Pickin' the Cherries" run this past Sunday (6/28). (Bigger versions here)

Let's Roll!

Stopping at Mountaindale General Store

Cozy's restaurant

Pryor's Orchard

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group