1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was quite the turn out!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
That was quite the turn out!
Yeah it was a pretty awesome day and so cool to see that many Minis gathered for a run.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Cozy's restaurant.....So where are you...up in Thurmont, MD ??

I sometimes do a bicycle ride loop that starts in Frederick, MD , goes up to Thurmont qand then comes back down to Frederick but first goes into them hills first. That ride is called the Three Covered Bridge Ride since you pass thru 3 wooden covered bridges along the way.

So where's your MINI in that large gathering ?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Cozy's restaurant.....So where are you...up in Thurmont, MD ??

I sometimes do a bicycle ride loop that starts in Frederick, MD , goes up to Thurmont qand then comes back down to Frederick but first goes into them hills first. That ride is called the Three Covered Bridge Ride since you pass thru 3 wooden covered bridges along the way.

So where's your MINI in that large gathering ?
It started out from the Frederick Town mall and wound up through areas that I have no idea where they technically are I do know we were around Thurmont at various points, but I'm definitely not familiar with the area so couldn't say the extent of areas we covered. I do know that we didn't go through any covered bridges.

As for where my Mini is in the pics ... well, ironically enough you can only see the tail end in the first pic and the roof with open sunroof in the 2nd pic.

My Mini is the Laser blue one closest to the left edge in the first picture.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
There is a Cozy's restaurant in Thurmont and Mountaindale sounds familiar as well. The fact that you started in Frederick.....my guess is that then did wind up in Thurmont which is perhaps 10 miles or so North of Frederick. Route 15N goes past Frederick, then Thurmont and then passes into Pennsylvania near Gettysburg.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Wow, that was an awesome turnout.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Hey guys...not sure how many of you are still tuning into this 1st Gear area any more but....since we all have about the same age/mileage MINIs I was wondering:

1) Have you been checking your dipstick and have any of you reached the time to add a quart of oil yet ? I have about 4500 miles on my MINI so far and the oil level is still within the level marks on the dip stick. Compared to my '98 Prelude that is pretty good since i do not believe my Prelude ever went past 4000 miles without adding a quart. Now I have to add a quart every 2000 miles...Prelude with 163K miles on it.

2) Lot's of discussion elsewhere regarding changing oil earlier on your own since BMW changes it way out there around 15000 miles. I was considering a compromise between whether to change the oil and filter early or not. For my sailboat's outboard motor, I oftentimes use a vacuum pump to suck out the oil and so i was considering using it to suck out the oil from the MINI via the dipstick tube. Granted, it would be best to change out the oil filter as well but changing out the oil is pretty easy and removes a good deal of the contaminants tht got past the oil filter. Then after replacing the oil around 5-6000 miles, I would wait till 15000 miles to then have BMW do the complete job - oil and oil filter. What you guys think ?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
at 3k and oil level is fine.

i'm subscribed to this thread so i'll see when someone posts into it for perpetuity.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Hey guys,

I'm subbed to this thread as well, so I'll always be part of it

As far as oil is concerned I'm at about 4500km and the level is good and visually looks pretty clean too. I would have though a new engine would have burned up some oil as it breaks in.

As for changing it, I think I'm going to stick the the obc on when to do it. Earlier won't hurt, but since I don't do my own changes I'll just wait until it tells me to do it. OLarryR, changing it yourself early, even without the filter change, I guess will be better than me just leaving it. So I say if you feel like it do it.

btw just had a part replaced from my collision. I never noticed before. I was wiping down my exhaust pipes and something just looked odd to me. So I looked at an older pic and there is was. The black plastic part on the rear bumper that holds the rear fogs, they put in the standard one, while mine was the one with the chrome line. Funny how I never noticed it before. To make this short, drove back to the body shop on my lunch break, told them, he immediately ordered the correct part, apologized, and then we tried to figure out how this happened. We went through my file and all the pics in it. The only thing we can think of is since the car came in without it, it was swept up at the scence as debris, the tech just ordered the first "rear bumper insert" on the parts list. Went back the next day, they installed it in about 10-15 minutes. Every thing looks and runs goood now.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Good info so far regarding the oil level and mileage. I guess it dawned on me that with a dealer oil change at 15K, seems like some of that oil would be replaced by then just by adding what's necessary and based on past experience...it could be 3 quarts by then ! So I'm checking the level and seeing how far it goes before a quart is needed. Since last time i bought a new car was 10 years ago, maybe the engines have improved a bit and don't lose/burn off quite so much oil as before. My Prelude always burned some oil but my '99 Honda Odyssey does not burn off that much and not much different than when it was new...perhaps a quart every 4000 miles or so...maybe longer.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Hi guys. I'm also subscribed.

I'm at 4781 miles and have checked the oil level several times. It doesn't seem to be going down at all. As far as the early oil change goes, it seems that most people who are planning to do this are concerned about stuff getting into the oil from new engine wear. My feeling is that the filter would capture any foreign matter in the oil, so I may change the filter once or twice before the first scheduled oil change. The synthetic oil shouldn't break down like natural oil, so I plan to wait.

I have an appointment next Tuesday to have my roof fixed. It seems when the sports stripes were installed the person doing the work put dents into the roof where he rested his arms. I only noticed them last week, so when I took my car back to the dealer to show them the dents I expected them to say they were not responsible, but they even found some I couldn't see and they had no problem doing the work. Seems they just had the same issue with another new car. Wonder where the installer is working now,

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 AM
someguyfromMaryland
2nd Gear
I'm at 3400 miles with no noticeable drop in oil level. I plan on changing oil/filter at 5k intervals, BMW service counter be damned. I don't want to be testing oil durability on an engine with over 100 hp/liter that has a small sump (4 quarts). Most german motors have larger oil sumps and use the oil for engine cooling along with the coolant.

5k is also a good spot to rotate the tires. I've applied Wheel Armour to the outsides of the wheels with good success and I want to clean the insides and apply it there as well. I believe it should protect the inner surface from long term brake dust attack if applied every 5k miles. I'll let you konw how it works out.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
In regards to rotating the tires...anyone knoe just how the wheel (tire pressure) sensors work ? Is there anything to be concerned about regarding rotating the tires ?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
In regards to rotating the tires...anyone knoe just how the wheel (tire pressure) sensors work ? Is there anything to be concerned about regarding rotating the tires ?
no worries. rotate away.

pressure sensors measure actual pressure inside the tire and transmit it to the car via radio type signal (since late 2007).

Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Subscribed here too

I actually just changed my oil at about 5100 miles. The oil was pretty dirty and the filter too, not black but definitely dirty. I actually planned to do it shortly after my break-in period, but ended up having no time to do it.

As for the engine burning oil, I can't say I've heard of that being much of a problem. Checking the level is certainly good (but Mini, why did you give us such a horrible-to-read dipstick?!), but if I were having to add oil to my R56 every few thousand miles I'd have a service call in.

I think my schedule is going to be 2 or 3 times a year (including the scheduled service). I drive hard enough and it's easy enough and cheap enough to do myself that its worth it for me.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Subscribed too - we've all been through too much together to stop now!

I had my oil changed at 1300 miles, right after the break-in period. I didn't want to wait until the first change with MINI, and I have a really reliable independent shop that I trust to work on my car. I bought the oil and filter from my MINI dealer and took it to my shop (I get a discount on the oil/filter since I'm part of the local MINI club), and my shop had no problems doing the oil change. And I checked first with the dealer that it was ok to have someone else work on the car - they said oil changes are fine.

My oil too was dirty, so I'm glad I did it. I'll probably stick with the same schedule I had on my old car, every 5-6K, and do a tire rotation at the same time. I only have 2350 miles on the car now, so I still have a while to go!

Steveski, glad to see you're back in one piece and back on the road!

Last edited by Atomic17; 07-15-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Mine has about 10k Kilometers on the odometer. Well, the service date that pops up everytime i start the car tells me to get the car serviced at 15000 Kliks, so about 8 thousand miles(It switched at some point). Guess i've been driving a little hard!! But i'm doing the change myself, bc i dont have a dealer yet. I bought the car direct from BMW so i never went through a dealer(stationed in Spain). But i already bought my 3 filters, That should last for another year when i get my mini and myself back home!

If ya'll are looking for filter, look at Moss Mini they sell them for 12 buck a piece i think?? It comes with everything you need. I gotta get around to changing that oil though!!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Just passed 5000 here, need to do a tire rotation but haven't really thought about an oil change yet. With my 06 I followed the factory schedule and never had a problem....

Haven't done any mods either, I'm currently in the process of adding a CarPC (since I got the PC for free, just buying the touchscreen etc) and it's going well Not something I've ever done before....

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Steveski
3rd Gear
Hey guys,

Here's a post I did about the 50th birthday party the Souther Ontario MINI dealers put on.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...18-post12.html

Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Hey guys, long time no hear..

Just checking in to see how all you fellow Week 11ers are doing, and to ask how your MINI's are - wanted to see if any of you have run into any warranty issues yet?

LONG story short, I've been to the dealer 3 times now for the water pump whistling noise, and I've had to write a letter to MINI USA VP Jim McDowell to try and get this fixed...I have 4800 miles on my MINI, and I'm so disgusted with the service I've gotten, I'm going to have MINI either buy it back, or I'm trading it in...

Anyone else in my week having issues?

Hope all is well otherwise - thanks for listening!

Atomic

Last edited by Atomic17; 10-20-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
No warranty issues, but the bozo who put my strips on (at the dealer) put dents in the roof. The dealer fixed them using PDR and you can't tell they were ever there. Some how when the dents were being fixed, they messed up one of the rain gutters. They set a time to replace it, but the new one came in bent, so they order a new one and sent a tech to my house to install it.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope you then them resolved soon.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Wow, sorry to hear about the issues guys. I'm at 7900kms now with no issues at all. I was scared to get the car originally with all the window dipper issues and cold start chatter issue reports but so far she's been great! Just purchased a set of winters for her too so I'm definitely not parking her for the winter. My only thing is that every time I see a Chili Red with white roof and white stripes I wonder if I should have gotten that color instead...

Old 10-19-2009, 04:05 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
Hey all! Sorry to hear about the troubles. No real issues here, just some cosmoline stains on the wheel arches that I will complain about the next time I'm the dealer. That and lots of chips in the hood already due to months and months of constant highway repairs and lots of loose stones :(

But really…words can not express how much I love this car!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
I forgot about my RFT issue. Not an issue with the car, just the tires. Somehow I picked up a razor blade with one of my tires. Can't be repaired and a replacement is ridiculous in price. I put my snow tires on early and will be getting normal tires in the spring. I now have 3 RFT that I can't use. Anyone also have an issue with one of theirs and need a low mileage (less than 7k) replacement?

I also had the cosmoline stains, but my dealer said that he would replace the flares next year after they cosmoline stops running. I didn't get it in writing, so it will be interesting to see if he does or not. I have had success with Mothers Back-to-Black. Most stuff strong enough to get the cosmoline off seems to dry out the plastic and make it look gray. Back-to-Black really takes it back to black. Its not a solution, but it does make it look better.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
If your water pump is whistling it needs to be replaced. It's not an unheard of problem.

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group