1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would make you a week 10. Good work! I called yesterday and still no action, should be one of the first to go in next week though...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
I just pulled up the schedule for the Topeka.

Port
Southampton, UK

Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM
COKen
3rd Gear

Port.......................Arrive................. Departure
Southampton, UK......3/14....................3/14
New York, NY...........3/24....................3/24
Manzanillo, Panama...3/29....................3/29
Port Hueneme, CA.....4/6......................4/7

I'm surprised that the boat only stays in each port for one day (except Port Hueneme).

Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bogs
Cameroon - are you officially "Awaiting Transport" now? I've got my fingers crossed you make it on to the TORRENS. How many days do you have between your production finish date and the TORRENS departure date?

I am getting nervous I won't make the 3/13 TOPEKA (production finish date is 3/11). I think that's my only hope of getting the car in before 3/31 and getting the 2.9% financing.
Yeah, the Owners Lounge even has me in the "Awaiting Transportation" and it's always behind. Right now I'm just checking the WW site with my VIN, hoping I show up there

Don't despair, even though it seems the trip slipped by a day, maybe it'll move back up or the trip will go faster than expected.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by COKen

Port.......................Arrive................. Departure
Southampton, UK......3/14....................3/14
New York, NY...........3/24....................3/24
Manzanillo, Panama...3/29....................3/29
Port Hueneme, CA.....4/6......................4/7

I'm surprised that the boat only stays in each port for one day (except Port Hueneme).
Yeah, TORRENS is only in Southampton for a day, too. If you go to the WW tracking site and put in WMWM% for the VIN then you can actually see all sorts of shipped vehicles. Looks like they load/unload very quickly

Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Thanks for the ship tracking website. I entered my VIN but it lists no records. Maybe it will by later today/tomorrow. If the ship leaves on the 10th, then I guess still plenty of time to make it onboard and not load on next ship. Guess it depends on how crowded the dock is right now with cars before us.

If we really want to get into this...maybe we should check the weather out there right now. Our cars may be enjoying a nice sunny day while waiting to be shipped.
If you can check out the "Tracking" stickied thread there's a link that shows all the activity in and around the port at Southampton. It's pretty cool and I plan on checking it out on the 9th/10th to watch the progress of TORRENS. Maybe we'll be shipmates

Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 PM
mansize
3rd Gear
OK, I admit to being a week 7 interloper, but have enjoyed following this thread. I have been able to reach out and touch my new MCS and peer through the window, as it arrived at the local dealer two days ago. I am not, however, taking delivery until later in the month.
Hang in there folks, soon you will catch a glimpse of your new baby such as this one :

Attached Thumbnails Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group-img_0409.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
BRG - Great choice!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Cameroon,

I just realized that we are almost in the same neck of the woods. You in Arlington...and I am in Oakton. It is also possible that we will have both MINIs on the same ship and....I bet we both bought our MINIs from the same dealership in VA !

Old 03-07-2009, 06:01 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Cameroon,

I just realized that we are almost in the same neck of the woods. You in Arlington...and I am in Oakton. It is also possible that we will have both MINIs on the same ship and....I bet we both bought our MINIs from the same dealership in VA !
I'm pretty sure you're right about the dealership, MoS is basically it for northern VA But yeah, we're pretty close - I'm over the Shirlington area.

Have you joined (or going to join) DC Metro Mini's (DCMM - http://dcmetrominis.org/)?

Last edited by cameroon; 03-08-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mansize
OK, I admit to being a week 7 interloper, but have enjoyed following this thread. I have been able to reach out and touch my new MCS and peer through the window, as it arrived at the local dealer two days ago. I am not, however, taking delivery until later in the month.
Hang in there folks, soon you will catch a glimpse of your new baby such as this one :
Welcome interloper, nice looking MINI And, very jealous here. I feel like I'm manically checking the WW site to see if my VIN is in their system yet!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Welcome mansize, it would kill me if I could physically go see my car but couldn't have it yet. Good on you for not trying to steal it.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Cameroon,

I can't believe we have people posting from all over and here you and I are potentially having our MINIs coming over on the same ship and bound for the same dealership. Yep...same dealership !! Maybe we should car pool over to pick'em up !

You live over near Carlyle Grand Cafe ? I sometimes commuted to work by bike when our office was in Crystal City. I would go along the WO&D Bike Path and then cut thru the stores/restaurants there in Shirlington to take the bike/pedestrian Rte395 crossover to then eventually drop into Crystal City.

I have only looked at the DCMM one time. This is all too new for me. Maybe during this next week I will get a chance to see what it is all about.

This started with buying a car that put a smile on my face...now it's turning into a way of life.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
That's awesome! I know the odds say that there is someone else who must've ordered at my dealership around the same time, but I haven't found them yet! Crazy to think your coopers could be on the boat in 3 days!!

Mansize - welcome & thanks for sharing the pic! your MINI looks great!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Bogs,

You are right about the odds. Actually, you would think many would discover their MINIs bound for same dealership. Even though many access this Forum/Website, I bet it is still a minority compared to the many that order cars. So, I suspect there are other MINIs coming to the dealership, just that those individuals either have not logged onto this website or not enough details of where they come from, etc hooked people/MINIs together.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Cameroon,

I can't believe we have people posting from all over and here you and I are potentially having our MINIs coming over on the same ship and bound for the same dealership. Yep...same dealership !! Maybe we should car pool over to pick'em up !

You live over near Carlyle Grand Cafe ? I sometimes commuted to work by bike when our office was in Crystal City. I would go along the WO&D Bike Path and then cut thru the stores/restaurants there in Shirlington to take the bike/pedestrian Rte395 crossover to then eventually drop into Crystal City.

I have only looked at the DCMM one time. This is all too new for me. Maybe during this next week I will get a chance to see what it is all about.

This started with buying a car that put a smile on my face...now it's turning into a way of life.
Heheh, we can car pool but I gotta drive - I'm giving them the one I have

And yeah, I live maybe 1/3 of a mile from the Carlyle. It's awesome when the weather's nice, just walk down for a pick of about 20 different restaurants. Granted, if the weather's nice the rest of the area has the same thought so they're all crowded, but it's still fun Used to work in Crystal City up until about last year, now I'm at a satellite office down near the 395/495 interchange.

I kind of wish the DCMM forums were readable without being a member so potential members could get an idea beyond what's posted to the main website. So PM me if you've got any questions about it so we don't hijack the thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
Weekends are the worst...no production = no updates!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bogs
Weekends are the worst...no production = no updates!
Yeah, even the shipping site doesn't appear to be updating beyond things getting delivered/discharged. Dunno if that's because vehicles that were done Thursday/Friday don't end up on trains until Monday or because the vehicles are already moved, but just not entered over the weekend. Guess I'll find out tomorrow

Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I noticed at least one posting thread where they had a webcam of the shipping point. Also, I believe I saw some link that gave an overhead of the MINIs awaiting loading down at the dock but you have to increase the maginification quite a bit. Anyone have the best links for viewing dock activity ? Maybe we can track the freighter coming to the dock and/or spot our MINIs at the pier...or at least use our imagination along with an update from the VIN & freighter loading status.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Well, we've got a couple tracking tools at our disposal for figuring out where various ships are, though I haven't seen any good cameras.

Port of Zeebrugge - This is the port that TORRENS, TOPEKA and FAUST stop at before heading to Southampton (probably most of the other WW ships carrying MINIs too). The links on the left-hand side show (from top to bottom), Inbound ships, In port ships and I think ships that have left.

Then there's the AIS site for Southampton, which has live traffic for the port. You can even listen to radio traffic, channels 11 & 12. I don't know how active they are, but it's there anyway

From that AIS site, if you switch it over to the Satellite view (or use Google Maps or Google Earth), you can definitely see MINIs parked on a parking garage like structure. They're off of Test road (south of the University of Southampton).

Ok, so maybe I had a slow day

Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Tomorrow is the start of my production week...woohoo!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion
Alright! Hope it starts Monday

Old 03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Perihelion

Looks like you are on your way ! A JCW in the works !

Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cameroon
......Then there's the AIS site for Southampton, which has live traffic for the port. You can even listen to radio traffic, channels 11 & 12. I don't know how active they are, but it's there anyway

From that AIS site, if you switch it over to the Satellite view (or use Google Maps or Google Earth), you can definitely see MINIs parked on a parking garage like structure. They're off of Test road (south of the University of Southampton).

Ok, so maybe I had a slow day

Great reference !
Looking at the AIS site, seems like a maxi number of MINIs waiting to go. I wonder how many they can fit on the freighter and the freighter may be partially filled already. Well, it's not a done deal...Our MINIs may not make the cut. I guess we will see how this all pans out by Tuesday - Checking the status updates.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Great reference !
Looking at the AIS site, seems like a maxi number of MINIs waiting to go. I wonder how many they can fit on the freighter and the freighter may be partially filled already. Well, it's not a done deal...Our MINIs may not make the cut. I guess we will see how this all pans out by Tuesday - Checking the status updates.
Yeah, it looks like the parking garage can hold a pretty fair number of vehicles. Wish we could get a live look at it

I'm hoping to see tomorrow if the status on the WW site changes to received and booked. Granted it can still change up until the ship leaves port with/without the cars. Even had someone get on a ship, which left port but had to return and they got offloaded and stuck behind for another - think it was a Week 4 person!

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group