1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woo! At least at this point, I'm booked on the TORRENS!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Good news!

My car finishes production tomorrow. Hope to find out if it makes the Topeka.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Found another cool tool, weather forecasts in the north Atlantic http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forec...tlantic&tim=06

That's the +6 hours forecast, but it has all the way up to +180 hours. The rainfall is easy enough, but no idea how to read the wind speed portion.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cameroon
From that AIS site, if you switch it over to the Satellite view (or use Google Maps or Google Earth), you can definitely see MINIs parked on a parking garage like structure. They're off of Test road (south of the University of Southampton).
Estimating 3000 MINIs can park there, waiting for a ride. The Faust can hold 7500. I am impressed by such things

Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
Just heard from my MA and my status is now "151 Body Shop Started". I'm thinking I'm aiming for the Faust scheduled to leave Southampton on Mar. 17th. Only takes about a week to get to Canada.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
Estimating 3000 MINIs can park there, waiting for a ride. The Faust can hold 7500. I am impressed by such things
I've got an uncle who does that - looks at a piece of a stadium and then tries to estimate it's total capacity, etc. It always sounds reasonable, but one of these days I'm going to have to find out how close he actually gets

Originally Posted by Perihelion
Just heard from my MA and my status is now "151 Body Shop Started". I'm thinking I'm aiming for the Faust scheduled to leave Southampton on Mar. 17th. Only takes about a week to get to Canada.
Just a couple more days until it's built! I suppose if you caught some lucky breaks you could make the TOPEKA, but I think you're right to figure on the FAUST.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
For those waiting on the Torrens, she has left ZeeBrugge, headed for Southampton

Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
For those waiting on the Torrens, she has left ZeeBrugge, headed for Southampton
Found another tracking site, and this one actually has positional info for the TORRENS: http://aprs.fi/info/232248000 (that's actually the link to the TORRENS info). Looks like it's scheduled into Southampton at 8am.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Found another tracking site, and this one actually has positional info for the TORRENS: http://aprs.fi/info/232248000 (that's actually the link to the TORRENS info). Looks like it's scheduled into Southampton at 8am.
Very cool APRS tracking! Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
Right now, I do not think I am booked on the Torrens. I went to the link that was listed on the first page of "1st Gear" for WW tracking. When that link opens up, it has blocks in which to enter your ID number. I selected the one on the far right (Cargo ID) and put in my VIN number but no records were found. I then tried putting in the VIN number in the other blocks but it also indicated "No records". The write-up on the first page of 1st gear indicated that you first select "Auto Tracking" on the far right but I did not see any menu on the far right - Only 3 blocks to choose from to enter data - Cargo ID, Bill Of Lading and something else. Am I entering this right ?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
Right now, I do not think I am booked on the Torrens. I went to the link that was listed on the first page of "1st Gear" for WW tracking. When that link opens up, it has blocks in which to enter your ID number. I selected the one on the far right (Cargo ID) and put in my VIN number but no records were found. I then tried putting in the VIN number in the other blocks but it also indicated "No records". The write-up on the first page of 1st gear indicated that you first select "Auto Tracking" on the far right but I did not see any menu on the far right - Only 3 blocks to choose from to enter data - Cargo ID, Bill Of Lading and something else. Am I entering this right ?
Yeah, you're entering it right. The Cargo ID field is where to stick the VIN. Are you entering your whole VIN or just the last 7 characters? If the last 7, do it like so %xxxxxxx (replacing the Xs with the last 7 characters).

I think they must not transport vehicles on the weekends anymore either, since I was done building 3/5 but didn't show up until today. So I'd say check it out tomorrow morning as well. They ship doesn't even get into port until like 8am, so I think you've got some time to arrive and be booked.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I was looking at that link you posted and the Torrens appears to be about 12+ KM away from Southampton. Maybe it is close enough right now to be picked up by the google link satellite view ? Before I shut my PC for the night...I am going to check that link and see if it can be seen approaching Southampton.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
OLarryR, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you make the ship!

I was in the paint shop today. I'm still holding out hope for the TOPEKA. Hopefully I can apply some of the crazy tracking methods you all have for the TORRENS.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
From that AIS site, if you switch it over to the Satellite view (or use Google Maps or Google Earth), you can definitely see MINIs parked on a parking garage like structure. They're off of Test road (south of the University of Southampton).
Now THAT is cool. Look at all those MINIs waiting to go home!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Atomic17
2nd Gear
Sorry I've been a bit MIA for a while guys, but I've been keeping track and glad to hear everyone if moving along nicely (although not nearly as fast as we'd all like )

I just spoke with ASKMINI and I'm in the bodyshop, and still scheduled for completion on the 12th.

Let's hope I'm on the Faust on the 17th as well, my Cooper can buddy up with Perihelion's for the ride over..

I spent yesterday reorganizing my CD's, just to keep myself busy and distracted from this agonizing wait!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic17
Sorry I've been a bit MIA for a while guys, but I've been keeping track and glad to hear everyone if moving along nicely (although not nearly as fast as we'd all like )

I just spoke with ASKMINI and I'm in the bodyshop, and still scheduled for completion on the 12th.

Let's hope I'm on the Faust on the 17th as well, my Cooper can buddy up with Perihelion's for the ride over..

I spent yesterday reorganizing my CD's, just to keep myself busy and distracted from this agonizing wait!
In some ways, having all this information at our fingertips makes this worse I think. I mean, I looked in a couple times at the TORRENS progress across the channel last night... if I could see it making these tiny little strides across the Atlantic as well, I might go nuts

Good idea about the keeping busy. Guess it'd be a perfect time to do some almost-spring cleaning or something

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
WOO HOO!!!

My little car is being put together TODAY!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
WOO HOO!!!

My little car is being put together TODAY!!!
Seems like you're in a good position to make the TOPEKA then

Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
I sure hope so.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OLarryR
While watching to see that my car got loaded (it did, hope it stays that way) I saw a bunch of other cars arrive at the dock AND get booked onto TORRENS. So hopefully yours is one of those.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:49 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
While watching to see that my car got loaded (it did, hope it stays that way) I saw a bunch of other cars arrive at the dock AND get booked onto TORRENS.
Happy Voyage Cameroon

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
Cameroon, you actually got to see your car get loaded? How does that work? That is just awesome.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
cameroon
4th Gear
Happy Voyage Cameroon
Thanks, here's hoping there's no delays to bad weather or mechanical trouble

Originally Posted by bogs
Cameroon, you actually got to see your car get loaded? How does that work? That is just awesome.
Well I couldn't visually see my car being loaded, but every 10-15 minutes during the day I'd search the WW site with the "Cargo ID" of WMWM%, which shows all (or maybe most? Not sure if all MINI VINs start with WMWM) of the MINI cargo. Cars seemed to be loaded/tagged at the rate of about 5-7/minute sometimes with delays but I don't know the process used. I could also tell when they got a lunch break (about an hour with no cars loaded).

I'm hoping that last on means first off

There were a bunch of cars that arrived today from the plant and were loaded, so I'm hoping OLarryR was in that group.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
While watching to see that my car got loaded (it did, hope it stays that way) I saw a bunch of other cars arrive at the dock AND get booked onto TORRENS. So hopefully yours is one of those.
I would like to know how you did that too.

Here is to "Fair winds and following seas" for the Torrens.

I found the Topek. It looks like it is in Germany and should be heading for Southampton soon.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
bogs
2nd Gear
I'll need to remember to come back to pages 6-7 when it's time for me to track. Now that COKen found the Topeka, I might have to start early...

Quick Reply: Week 11 (3/08/09-3/14/09) Support Group