1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To MINI or not to MINI...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM
minimini482
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To MINI or not to MINI...

Hi there!

I am brand new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I am considering purchasing a Mini Cooper S as my next car and wanted to get some feedback from current owners. Pros? Cons? Are you happy with your MCS? Any big issues come up during your term of ownership?

I live in the Chicagoland area - to anyone who has purchased recently, what kind of deals (if any) did you get? -wondering if the current auto market has affected Mini like some of the other manufacturers.

Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated greatly.
You all have a great group here; thanks in advance for helping me out!

-George

Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had mine for 14 months and 19,500 miles.
Issues i've had:
Drain tubes on sunroof wiggled off, rain came through rear view mirror
Water pump whining at engine idle
Left front inner fender lining warped
Hood scoop warping
Cold start chatter
Weeping windshield washers

All were covered under warranty.
Still love my car as much as the day that I got it!

As far as the pros and cons,
Pros: small, fast, great gas mileage, totally customizable to your liking
Cons: small, fast, you'll never stop customizing!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
miniguy5
4th Gear
Hi George, I ordered a 09 Clubman. I did not go with the S version because I don't need the extra power for normal day to day driving. I don't know if you have a specific dealership in mind, but I ordered from Patrick Mini.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Hey George, Welcome from North Carolina. There is a lot of good reading here to help you. But in the end just get the Mini. You'll be happy.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
I stopped by the dealer after visiting the MINI website...that was the end for me! You should be able to get a deal, just don't seem too eager when you start talking price with the dealer...shop around if you can too.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
2FUN4ME
Neutral
I was enamoured once they started talking about them in the U.S. Finally got my first 04 MC Liquid yellow/LY. Lots of extras and adored the car. I did mess up the transmission (really it was my fault) but the dealer replaced it underwarrenty. Just did the custom order thing for my 2nd MINI. Hated to part with my original but really wanted an automatic for tunnel traffic, so I upgraded to an S while I was at it. Mellow Yellow/B S model with tons of bells and whistles. I traded the 04 with 80K miles on it and got 10k off the price of the new one. Outstanding resale value, even with a dent in the hood. New car is totally awesome, had it since October with no need for improvements. My husband started with a 202 Cooper and moved up to a used 2003 MCS. We both adore our MINIs for their no nonsense reliability and quality of BMW. Drive it, then buy it and be prepared to lose your heart to its charms!

Last edited by 2FUN4ME; 02-21-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Hippie
Banned
We just got ours on Monday (used 04) but the only dealer here in Colorado does not deal and they are still flying off the lot (new and used). I went back on Tuesday to pick up our garage door opener that we left in our trade in and I would guess that they had sold 12-15 new and used in under 24 hrs - oh and you will love it

Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
metaltometal
2nd Gear
Drive one with the windows down at 80+mph on a twisty road and see how you like it. If you're not going whwhwhwhhwwhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee by the end of the test drive, then don't get it. But if you are...................

Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Dittos...get the MINI

Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
The bad side :

1) Defective left front strut and control arm showed up at 3000 miles
2) Defective flywheel showed up at 15,000 miles
3) Defective thermostat housing showed up at 35,000 miles
4) Check engine light went on yesterday at 35,900 miles (guessing a wire is not properly connected after the thermostat replacement - off to the Dr. this week)

All covered under warranty and apparently common problems well documented here on NAM. Problems are common to all cars, check the Honda or Toyota forums if you want reassurance

The good side :

Wayyyyyy to much to post on this thread, the love just goes and goes and goes. Wensleydale is the first car I've named, the first car I have ever really loved, and without a doubt, the most fun I have ever had with 4 wheels.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In your assessment don't overlook the Cooper....for some it is the preferred model as it offers a different type of balance as well as other benefits.

MINIs have more going for them than meets the eye initially. For all it's charm it is a surprising little performer that can transform daily driving into a fun, engaging adventure. To it's basic agility, add the practical space it offers for passengers or other stuff. Then add to that the potential for some really superb mpg #s. All in all, the value offered by the car is outstanding.

As for issues, I drive Coopers and they have both been rock solid. The odd initial niggle was dealt with easily by the dealership. I've had great experiences w/ MINI warranty and service. Given the outrageous fun I have w/ the car, and the funtional utility I get out of such a small vehical, it is the best automotive money I have ever spent.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hippie
We just got ours on Monday (used 04) but the only dealer here in Colorado does not deal and they are still flying off the lot (new and used). I went back on Tuesday to pick up our garage door opener that we left in our trade in and I would guess that they had sold 12-15 new and used in under 24 hrs...
That's what happens when it's the only dealer in a 400 mile radius. There may be deals off msrp in dealership-thick areas of the US, but not the intermountain West.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
In your assessment don't overlook the Cooper....for some it is the preferred model as it offers a different type of balance as well as other benefits.
Altho I dont have one I agree: the 2nd gen Cooper is a HUGE improvement over the first gen Cooper.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen, when I started looking for a new car, I looked everywhere, at everything, and I do mean everything. In the end, it was the Mini. Trust me, for what it is, it is one of the best values on the market right now. Go for it.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
isn't the end of the month supposed to be the best time to deal down in price?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:09 PM
metaltometal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Altho I dont have one I agree: the 2nd gen Cooper is a HUGE improvement over the first gen Cooper.
lolololol they look like minis on fatkid pills.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
2FUN4ME
Neutral
Some of the best deals to be found are MINI people selling their own MINIs. There are some on this site under the Marketplace area at the top of the screen. You will find that most MINI owners are pretty devoted to the upkeep of their cars and you are likely to get upgrades/performance items already installed and working. MINIs retain their value so much that you should have no trouble financing the used MINI at a local bank or credit union. Sometimes we are even in a hurry to get rid of them so we can pay for the new one we have on order. Its an addiction...