1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Texas!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
RoBear
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Texas!

Hello, everyone!

I just found this site and it seems to be the premier place for Mini information.

My wife and I love to autocross with the Houston Region SCCA. We don't have a Mini yet, but her DD is getting old, and I'm looking into buying a Mini for her to DD and autox with.

I'm hear to learn, learn, learn, and meet fellow Mini enthusiasts. I'll be checking out the marketplace frequently as I start to look more seriously at purchasing a Mini, so please feel free to offer advice on purchasing a used/new Mini, or any other information you feel would be worthwhile.

Thanks for having me!

Rob

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Hello from northwest Houston! and Welcome. How used are we talking? I'm in search of a 2006 1st Generation since that's the year MINI had most of the r53 kinks fixed up, from what i've researched, 05-06 is good. As for the 07+, i'd say a brand new one since an old 2007 or 2008 sells for barely below the price of a new one.. I'd fork over the extra 1k-2k just for a new one if i was in that ball field Yay for high resale value

Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
RoBear
Neutral
I would definitely a little extra for a new one, but I'm more partial to the 1st gen car. What were some of the kinks that had to be worked out?

The resale value is definitely a plus later on, but right now it doesn't leave you with many options.

You ever autocross?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello there and welcome!! I'm sure you'll find every brand of MINI enthusiast around here, so jump in and have fun. We have a lot of experienced autocrossers, to that might be interesting. Me? I hang out in "off-topic" and motor around town, so I'll be of limited help. There is a Houston-based MINI club....that might be fun!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
RoBear
Neutral
Originally Posted by gokartride
Hello there and welcome!! I'm sure you'll find every brand of MINI enthusiast around here, so jump in and have fun. We have a lot of experienced autocrossers, to that might be interesting. Me? I hang out in "off-topic" and motor around town, so I'll be of limited help. There is a Houston-based MINI club....that might be fun!
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
WJHMH
3rd Gear
Hello fellow Texan, I used to live in Houston SCCA region years ago & down there is much better organized group than the DFW SCCA group up here. You can can pick up a r53 MCS like I did cheap if you know were to look.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
RoBear
Neutral
Originally Posted by WJHMH
Hello fellow Texan, I used to live in Houston SCCA region years ago & down there is much better organized group than the DFW SCCA group up here. You can can pick up a r53 MCS like I did cheap if you know were to look.
Hmmm, admittedly, I don't know where to look, but it sounds like you do. Have any pointers? And what are we talking "cheap?"