1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an '02 Cooper -- What am I getting into/What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering an '02 Cooper -- What am I getting into/What should I look for?

Hi all.... My '96 Audi A4 Quattro (133k miles) is getting just too expensive to keep, and I'm currently looking into a '02 Cooper (base model; 5 spd manual; ~50k miles; single owner w. clean -- ? -- CARFAX) that looks like it might actually fit into my budget (<$12k). I'm hoping to get a test drive next week, and wanted to check with the experts (that's you guys!) on a couple of things first:

1) What am I getting myself into? As noted above, the repair costs on the Audi are what is prompting this search in the first place. While I don't expect repair costs for a Mini to be cheap -- say, compared to a Toyota or Honda -- I'm certainly don't want to wind up in worse shape financially than I have been/would be with the A4. Any ballpark estimates of what post-warranty repair/maintenance is likely to cost for a car of this vintage?

2) I trust my repair guy (local garage, doesn't specifically work on Minis... or Audis for that matter, but still does good work), and he offers free pre-purchase inspection of used cars for existing clients. If I were to prepare a punch-list of specific things for him to check out, what would you recommend?

I'm aware of the issues with the transmission shift cable, though I'm not sure if there's any way of telling about this in advance. Any other specific issues/trouble spots that would be worth flagging for his attention?

Many thanks in advance! I look forward to joining the Mini club!

- Tim

Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At dealership prices are same as BMW $165 per hour in SoCal.
Early Midlands trannys had issues and had to be replaced, check VIN to see if it was replaced. CVT (auto) on Cooper were just bad.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Diane Havens
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper basic model 4 speed. Just recently I spent $2200 on engine work -- transmission and oil leak. This was at Prestige in Mahwah NJ dealership. Maybe you'd do better with a private mechanic. I must look for one, as I really didn't expect a lovingly cared for, low mileage, well maintained vehicle to need that much work after only 5 years.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Thanks for the feedback -- slight change in plans

Actually, there's been a slight change in plans already. I'm putting the '02 MC on the back-burner for the time being; I've an appointment on Wednesday to test drive an '06 MC instead @ about the same mileage and price. Haven't had a chance to check the CARFAX yet (asked the dealer to have available on Wednesday), but definitely seems like the better choice than the '02, given all that I'm learning about these cars.

(Thanks, btw., to whomever suggested this article -- it's very informative, and I apologize for not checking NAM more thoroughly before my initial post.)

Now, I have a bit of a dilemma....

There's also an '05 MCS for sale -- also about 50k miles, but at about $16k. (CARFAX on this vehicle looks okay.) I might be able to do this with some creative financing.... If I can make this work financially, it seems like a no-brainer to go with the '05 MCS rather than the '06 MC.

Suggestions?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:16 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
At dealership prices are same as BMW $165 per hour in SoCal.
Fortunately my guy's $70/hour (Greater Boston). Seems reasonable, and the work is pretty good. Only downside with the Audi -- and likely any Mini, too, since they don't regularly handle these makes -- is that they sometimes needed to "outsource" the reading of the service codes (e.g., check-engine light, airbag light, etc.).