1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And you thought you had to wait a long time for your Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you thought you had to wait a long time for your Mini...

First I wanted to say that this is an AWESOME site! I've been lurking on this board for over 3 years. I think I finally signed up last year. This is my first post!

Anyway, I was all set to order my Mini last year but then impulsively bought a Subaru Outback XT What was I thinking?

Words can't describe how disappointed I have been with the car. I mean, it's nice car but it's soooo HUGE and feels so very ponderous. And I really wanted a Mini in the first place. I came from an MKIV VW GTI.

Anyway, so I've been stuck with my Subie for over a year and I have to wait until 2010 before I can even order my mini. My partner said that I needed to drive what I bought for 2 years (and I grudgingly agreed ).

That means I have to wait until Feb. - March 2010 just to order my mini. In the mean time I've been entertaining myself with this site and the Miniusa site. Oh, and I finally drove one the other day. I just gotta say OMG!!!!!! I can't remember the last time I had such a big smile on my face. I mean, I was smiling from ear to ear from first sight to the drive to even and even after the drive. I was hooked. Driving the Mini is like doing drugs -- it's so addictive.

I've ready many many many threads from people asking what to order and I'm in the same boat. I've narrowed it down to:

edit: I meant to add that I'm getting an S
PW with black top.
Sport package ('09 don't come with the sport suspension)
Web Spoke wheels -- I know they're heavy, but I love the look.
Anthracite headliner
White/clear signal bulbs
rear fog
Brushed accents
Hi-Fi -- yes, I've listened to it and it sounds fine to me. I used to have nice high end audio (JL and MB Quartz) in my VW and in my subie I just have crap and I've grown used to it and I don't even mind it.

I'm torn on:

Premium Package -- I want cruise and auto ac but don't know if I want the sunroof. I love having a sunroof but the blaring heat from the sunroof in the mini might drive me nuts. I only want a sunroof to shine through when I have it open. The dealer told me that they could put a union jack over the sunroof that would block all the sun completely for only $250. But then again, I've read about so many issues with the Mini sunroof that I'm scared.

Seats -- Cloth, leather, partial leather? What do I do? I love them all, LOL. This is something I'm confused about, on the miniusa website it shows that only red or blue is available for the leather and cloth seats. However, Baron Mini (in KC) had cars on the showroom floor with the cream leather -- are they doing it aftermarket?

I'm leaning towards the partial leather with the cream leather, the cream color line, and the brushed aluminum dash.

And then when I get it home and broken in, I'm going to drive down to Dallas and have the TSW springs installed by TSW

Anyway, sorry for a very long first post. I'm just so excited about the mini after finally driving one. I can hardly stand it! I knew I shouldn't have stepped foot in the dealer.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Atomic S
4th Gear
welcome, you picked the right place to kick your ideas over at. you can build them so many different ways there are no right or wrong it's a MINI

Last edited by Atomic S; 06-03-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ~
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by simplybao
edit: I meant to add that I'm getting an S
PW with black top.
Sport package ('09 don't come with the sport suspension)
Web Spoke wheels -- I know they're heavy, but I love the look.
Anthracite headliner
White/clear signal bulbs
rear fog
Brushed accents
Hi-Fi -- yes, I've listened to it and it sounds fine to me. I used to have nice high end audio (JL and MB Quartz) in my VW and in my subie I just have crap and I've grown used to it and I don't even mind it.

I'm torn on:

Premium Package -- I want cruise and auto ac but don't know if I want the sunroof. I love having a sunroof but the blaring heat from the sunroof in the mini might drive me nuts. I only want a sunroof to shine through when I have it open. The dealer told me that they could put a union jack over the sunroof that would block all the sun completely for only $250. But then again, I've read about so many issues with the Mini sunroof that I'm scared

I'm leaning towards the partial leather with the cream leather, the cream color line, and the brushed aluminum dash.

And then when I get it home and broken in, I'm going to drive down to Dallas and have the TSW springs installed by TSW
Welcome.

Auto AC is great.. and ive loved the sunroof..performs flawlessly so far (16K miles)..knock on wood lol.

The interior combo you like sounds perfect... I got the piano black in mine and kind of regret it because though i think nothing looks better, its hard to keep spotless.

And since your getting springs and not just driving it stock.... my suggestion is to just grab the smallest (non-upgrade fee) rims.... Youll probably want aftermarket later with a better offset / lighter / non-funflats for a better ride

Old 06-03-2009, 03:08 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Wow, great first post. May I interest you in a PW/B MCS with black webspoke wheels? I think they look awesome. But then again, I'm biased (to the wheels anyway). I do love the PW/B combo. It was on my short list of choices.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
simplybao
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sold on the silver web spokes. I want to keep the car as stock as possible. I do want it lowered a little bit but I've driven low riders and they aren't fun on my streets.

My VW was slammed to the ground on Koni coilovers and the ride wasn't too hot. I got tired of it fast. I loved the look but it got to the point where it was no fun to drive. I want the mini to be fun and still look good and I've read so many great reviews on the TSW springs, that's what I'm going to do.

I know I can't go wrong with any choice I make but it's tought with sooooo many options