1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a Hello

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
jmhouse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a Hello

I do not have a MINI yet, but i've been lurking on this site and seriously searching for the past couple weeks. I went on a few test drives last weekend and I haven't been able to stop thinking about getting one since. None of the dealers around here (MD) have what I want on the lot so I might have to end up ordering. But part of me doesn't want to think about that long wait. My current car is a 2000 VW Golf that is definitely nearing the end of its life. Hopefully I'll find my way into a MINI soon, and when I do I'll definitely post pics

Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
That test drive is always the clincher! If more people took that drive, Oxford wouldn't be able to make enough MINIs to fill the orders

Welcome to the crew

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Kimini03
5th Gear
Welcome! Hoping you will find the MINI that is right for you or if you do order maybe it will go by quickly. You can pass your time waiting by checking out the forums here!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Atomic S
4th Gear
Welcome

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
yes test drive one and it will seal the deal . The Mini is so much fun to drive = curves are great just hold on ! Gas mileage on just a cooper is great if you need good mpg ! good luck with your search . check out miniusa.com for a lot of information . check out my lighting blue just a cooper i picked up in april 09 automatic =getting about 34-35mpg so far

Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
robovega
2nd Gear
Funny thing

Originally Posted by jmhouse
None of the dealers around here (MD) have what I want on the lot so I might have to end up ordering. But part of me doesn't want to think about that long wait.
It's a funny thing: despite how agonizing the wait may seem (it certainly feels that way), somehow I feel I am going to be even more happy when it arrives, than if I took one off the lot. I suppose deferred gratification works for some people.

If you find the perfect match on the lot, then lucky you! If you are comfortable with making compromises on your MINI to drive one off the lot, then more power to you! If not, then prepare to wait for a car built specifically for you.

And the NAM community certainly helps that wait go by...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM
jmhouse
2nd Gear
color decisions are the worst!

thanks for the welcomes

for me, most of the options available are things that would be nice to have rather than something I need. I really just want a base cooper s with manual transmission, cloth seats, rubber floor mats and the ipod adapter. the hardest part is figuring out which color to get! I've bounced from pepper white to british racing green to horizon blue back to white then black then dark silver etc etc etc...I know I'll be happy with whatever color I choose but it's driving me crazy. I think I'll have to make my decision on the spot when I see the all the colors in person again. Although I'm seriously leaning towards the Horizon Blue/White combo right now. that will probably change by morning though

Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
I'm awaiting my replacement MINI after an accident took the first one. I'm driving an '88 Astro van, whose A/C is broken, in the Alabama summer because I ordered the MINI I want. Take heart. The wait is worth it if you cannot find something on the lot that sings to you.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jmhouse
thanks for the welcomes

for me, most of the options available are things that would be nice to have rather than something I need. I really just want a base cooper s with manual transmission, cloth seats, rubber floor mats and the ipod adapter. the hardest part is figuring out which color to get! I've bounced from pepper white to british racing green to horizon blue back to white then black then dark silver etc etc etc...I know I'll be happy with whatever color I choose but it's driving me crazy. I think I'll have to make my decision on the spot when I see the all the colors in person again. Although I'm seriously leaning towards the Horizon Blue/White combo right now. that will probably change by morning though
Please also consider the multifunction steering wheel and the rear fog lights. MFSW is the only way to get cruise control. Rear fogs are reassuring in downpours and snow, and they look nicer than the black plugs in the rear fascia. I think the total cost is $350, and worth it.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 AM
jmhouse
2nd Gear
Ah yes. The rear fogs are definitely being added to both fill those slots outside and that empty toggle switch inside. I really don't use cruise control but I can see how that might help with resale in the future. I'll think about it since it really doesn't add that much cost. Thanks for the tips

Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 AM
jmhouse
2nd Gear
put in my order yesterday. now for the agonizing wait...

Old 06-14-2009, 01:35 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Online. Begin ordering stuff. Detailing stuff. Anti-shroom stuff. Oil change stuff (unless you actually intend to run first oil for 10k). How about a set of stickers fromAesthetic Creations to cover the ugly airbag placcards? Stuff.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
jmhouse
2nd Gear
Ahhhhhhh I called ASK MINI last night and they couldn't give me any information about when my car would start production. Fast forward to 5 minutes ago and they let me know that my car started production this morning at 6:13 AM! Sweet!

For those interested in the build, It's a Manual HzB/W MCS with the cloth seats, MFSW, rear fogs, white turn signals and the 16" bridge spokes.