1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on ordering my first MINI (Clubman S)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 AM
BMW13
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on ordering my first MINI (Clubman S)

My wife is going from an X3 to a Clubman S. The X3 had sport suspension with 19" M rims so were used to a stiff ride and I drive a BMW 335 E93 with stick so were used to rowing our own gears. I have read many threads but have a few questions:
1)What discount should I expect ordering a 2010- production starts the first week in Sept. With the market this soft I still expect a discount.
2)Anybody have experience with Century Mini or Mini of Charleston, South Carolina. We live in Columbia and these are the two closest and it's either 90 or 120 miles.
3)Are oil changes basically 15,000 miles like BMW or one year like BMW?
4)Really confused on the Sport PKG and whether to go with it because there are so many conflicting reports and opinions. Not going to race this but I've owned 3 M3's so I'm used to fairly stiff rides but would like to avoid it if possible.
5)Confused on color, like sparkling silver, pepper and dark silver but I guess we will flip a coin.
6)Can we get a German Shepard through the third door? I know it's a crazy question.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
1. Discount? good luck with that!
2. nope
3. pretty much
4. Don't need sport pkg coming from an X3.
5. I'm partial to pw/pw kind of rare combo.
6. Yes.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Not sure if you'll get any discount. I didn't on my 2009.
2. Sorry, can't help you
3. 15K is about what my computer is telling me.
4. I didn't get the Sport pkg, and I think it handles quite well. Ride is firm enough for me with the standard suspension bits.
5. Sparkling Silver (to ME) is more or less champagne. Pepper White isn't a pure white, to my eyes. Hope this helps a little!
6. Depends on the size of the German Shepard. You'll have to move the passenger seat up a bit, but he/she should fit. Could definitely go through the barn doors in the rear w/no problem

-Jim

Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
One more:

1) I got a discount on an ordered Clubman S by leveraging two dealers in the area.
2) Don't know
3) 15k or one year, whichever comes first
4) Sport package gets you bi-xenon headlights, which I like, and 17-inch wheels, which I also like.
5) I got dark silver and black. Your choice.
6) Lengthwise, yes.

- David

Old 07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
David, what interior did you get. I saw a Mini like yours in Columbia but I really like the Tuscan leather and wonder how it would look like with the dark silver. Why shouldn't I expect a discount since Mini sales are down over 20% YTD?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
Hi, BMW13. If you look in my (paltry) gallery, you'll see a picture of my interior - leather & cloth seats in rooster red and black, with a rooster red color line and piano black surfaces. I also got the anthracite headliner. Other galleries should have pictures of Tuscan leather. It should look great. If you were talking to me for the other part of your post, I did get a discount, and I think you'd still be able to get something if you bargain. My MA's first statement was that they don't discount, but when I later said another dealer offered me a given deal (which was true), they matched it. It ended up being somewhere around $1000 off, but I have trouble calculating the exact discount.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
pennysfbay
2nd Gear
I just put down a deposit for a 2010 Cooper S, and negotiated $1000 off MSRP and free installation of accessories. Good luck to you!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM
robovega
2nd Gear
1) You can't really expect a discount, but it's totally up to you to get the dealer to earn your business. If you don't try, they're more than happy to sell at MSRP. But with MINI sales down for several months now, they need people to buy their cars, whether its off the lot or from Oxford. I got $750 off my order plus freebies.

2) I'm no help here, but in regards to the first question, having two dealers definitely gives you an edge in negotiating. Play your hand right and you can get them in a bidding war. It can go both ways, but at least you have your options.

3) 15K or 1 Year, which ever first.

4) Personally, I would save the money from the Sport PKG and put it into another option, say Premium PKG or NAV. I think those options give more bang for the buck.

5) I chose Sparkling Silver after hopping from Mellow Yellow (RIP ) and BRG. In the end, I went with SS because it matched my interior the best. If your aren't set on an interior, I say flipping a coin is just fine. Also, there is a NAM member with a SS/Silver Clubman with Tuscan leather which is a real beauty. Clean and classy through and through.

6) I'd say so. Otherwise through the rear barn doors. Wouldn't wanna leave him behind...

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BMW13
David, what interior did you get. I saw a Mini like yours in Columbia but I really like the Tuscan leather and wonder how it would look like with the dark silver. Why shouldn't I expect a discount since Mini sales are down over 20% YTD?
Check out my gallery. I like a light interior and have always had the sand leather in previous BMW's. I like the Tuscan with the dark silver. I was worried until I saw one. In the sun the dark silver actually has a bit of a tan metalic speck in it. I have a convertible and the light interior reduces that cave feel in the back seat.

The sport package does not include the sport suspension which is ordered separately. The package has the same suspension as the regular S. I got the package but not the suspension.