1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
thern
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions decisions

Hello everyone! My name is Tiffany. I previously owned a 2005 MINI Cooper S Pepper White. My husband got orders to Germany (Air Force) and I had to part with my baby before we left :( That was two years ago. Last year we purchased a Honda Civic Si, great car, but not a MINI!! That was more my husband's choice and he knew I wasn't too keen on it. SO, last week we were driving home from some errands and all of the sudden my husband pulls into the MINI dealership and wants to look at the AC Schnitzer Hardtop edition they have. Woo it is a beauty. They also have a John Cooper Works model. My husband parked and I said what are we doing?! We can't get a new car!! He said oh but I want you to be happy with your car and I know you would love a MINI again. So, now exactly a week later, I've pretty much got my Honda Civic sold (should be complete Monday) and I've got some decisions to make. I'll be completely honest, I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for the AC Schnitzer, but then again I don't know much about it. I don't know if I should save some money and go with just a Cooper S, or step up a notch and get the JCW, or just go all out and get the AC Schnitzer. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'd like to know more about the AC model....my husband was practically drooling (big shocker because last year he turned his nose up!!!) lol

I uploaded a pic of the JCW one we were looking at. Not the best pic..took it with my cell, but such a pretty car!!
Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails Decisions decisions-photo.jpg  

Last edited by thern; 07-17-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thern
Hello everyone! My name is Tiffany. I previously owned a 2005 MINI Cooper S Pepper White. My husband got orders to Germany (Air Force) and I had to part with my baby before we left :( That was two years ago. Last year we purchased a Honda Civic Si, great car, but not a MINI!! That was more my husband's choice and he knew I wasn't too keen on it. SO, last week we were driving home from some errands and all of the sudden my husband pulls into the MINI dealership and wants to look at the AC Schnitzer Hardtop edition they have. Woo it is a beauty. They also have a John Cooper Works model. My husband parked and I said what are we doing?! We can't get a new car!! He said oh but I want you to be happy with your car and I know you would love a MINI again. So, now exactly a week later, I've pretty much got my Honda Civic sold (should be complete Monday) and I've got some decisions to make. I'll be completely honest, I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for the AC Schnitzer, but then again I don't know much about it. I don't know if I should save some money and go with just a Cooper S, or step up a notch and get the JCW, or just go all out and get the AC Schnitzer. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'd like to know more about the AC model....my husband was practically drooling (big shocker because last year he turned his nose up!!!) lol

I uploaded a pic of the JCW one we were looking at. Not the best pic..took it with my cell, but such a pretty car!!
Thanks!!
Wow! what a nice dilema to have!!! I have not driven a JCW or a Schnitzeras I am a convertible nut and ordered the new S convertible in April.
I love the car!

To me it depends on what you want out of the car as there are tradeoffs with all decisions. For example if noise and ride quality are important be sure to drive an S as well as the ACS and JCW. The sportier versions will genrally be louder and the ride will be more firm to provide the improved handling over a standard S. The extra power of the JCW and I assume the ACS will make the torque steer - the "mind of its own pull left or right under hard acceleration" worse.

I have not driven a 2005 S model but from the posts many say the torque steer of even the new S is more noticable that the previous generation MINI's. Take each on a test drive, turn the wheel like you are going to make a hard right turn from a dead stop and get on the throttle pretty hard and see if the strong pull on the steering wheel bothers you. Most all powerful front drive cars exhibit some torque steer - not just MINI - and the more power you have the more noticable the pull.

Take each down a road with imperfect pavement and see if the harder ride of the JCW and the ACS bother you. I have read some reviews of the JCW that comment on the exhaust booming at highway speeds that was not noted in the regular MINI and the MINI S.

Take each around some really tight turns and the hotter versions will probably be even more "go cart like" than the standard S - at the expense of the ride and noise.

The cool thing about MINI is that you can make it yours and you have such a large selection of different MINI personalities.

I am very happy with my S but more power may be more important to you and your husband. Good luck and wow, what a considerate mate!!! Happy motoring no matter how many horses you have up front!!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I'd say go JCW, it is inbetween the price range of MCS and ACS. Most of the cash on the ACS is on exterior stuff ie wheels, ground kit etc, and JCW includes all that stuff as well but also more go fast parts. Get a "bare bones" JCW and it will just under 30k, well might want to get the "Lisence Retention Optimizer" ie Cruise Control. If ya wanna splurge get the optional JCW seats they are NOT available in the US.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I'm cheap... I'd go with the MCS.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 AM
thern
Neutral
thanks for the replies everyone. i think i've narrowed it down to two. the JCW that is pictured or an MCS dark silver with the packages I want. i'm pretty much leaning towards the JCW because they just marked the price down some more. it is at $26,950 now and i drove it a love it. i just have to wait for my bank in the states so i am hoping no one buys the JCW before me....but if they do i know i'll still be super happy with the MCS. man oh man i am so excited to be BACK!! i've missed having a MINI!!!! hopefully by the end of this week or next week i will be posting pics of my baby!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
thanks for the replies everyone. i think i've narrowed it down to two. the JCW that is pictured or an MCS dark silver with the packages I want. i'm pretty much leaning towards the JCW because they just marked the price down some more. it is at $26,950 now and i drove it a love it. i just have to wait for my bank in the states so i am hoping no one buys the JCW before me....but if they do i know i'll still be super happy with the MCS. man oh man i am so excited to be BACK!! i've missed having a MINI!!!! hopefully by the end of this week or next week i will be posting pics of my baby!

Good luck. It sounds like that JCW is calling you! My decision was easier since I was getting a convertible and the JCW convertible was not yet out when I was deciding. To me there is no such thing as too much power. If the JCW sells the MCS is certainly no slouch either. I will keep my eyes open for your pictures.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
thern
Neutral
well. i decided. today my husband and i drove the JCW again and the ACS for the first time. my decision....JCW!! although the ACS was beautiful, i just didn't want to spend the extra money and be hurting for a few months. i LOVE the JCW i feel...just as much. my husband on the other hand....he reallllly wanted the ACS, but i just had to convince him that it wasn't a factor of me not liking it, but we just needed to make a wise decision about finances. i am so stoked. i'm thinking i won't get to have it until monday or maybe even later :( maybe by some miracle my bank in the states will get the check to the dealership even sooner. that's the downside of using my bank stateside and having to mail things and having time differences. oh well...at least i didn't JUST order one. wooo i don't know how ppl can wait so long!!

pics will definitely be posted when i get it.

btw, it is astro black

Old 07-26-2009, 04:30 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
well. i decided. today my husband and i drove the JCW again and the ACS for the first time. my decision....JCW!! although the ACS was beautiful, i just didn't want to spend the extra money and be hurting for a few months. i LOVE the JCW i feel...just as much. my husband on the other hand....he reallllly wanted the ACS, but i just had to convince him that it wasn't a factor of me not liking it, but we just needed to make a wise decision about finances. i am so stoked. i'm thinking i won't get to have it until monday or maybe even later :( maybe by some miracle my bank in the states will get the check to the dealership even sooner. that's the downside of using my bank stateside and having to mail things and having time differences. oh well...at least i didn't JUST order one. wooo i don't know how ppl can wait so long!!

pics will definitely be posted when i get it.

btw, it is astro black

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see those pictures!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Thanks!!
That's the first time I've heard a black MINI described as "pretty". And JC, it's a JCW as well. Oh well, congratulations anyway.