1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blouise
We feel like you're part of our family Y2K Falcon. I'm sick that your car didn't make our ship
Amen to that. I guess the only good part to this is that you only have to wait one more week for the next ship - when I was sweating bullets on August 28th waiting to see if Twiggy got loaded on the Porgy, I was facing a two week wait for the next ship.

I now think your car may actually have been stuck in the paint shop for those four days. Perhaps they shut the assembly line down on August 28th to make some changes to the robot's software as part of something different on the 2010 models. Still, the fact you were given a completion date of August 29th is a little mysterious.

In any case, I'm sure all the Week 34 members are sad about this. Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
I have been trying to get someone at Wallenius Wilhelmsen to tell me why we can't track the Porgy.
The lady wrote back after checking with their planners in Stockholm. They said the reason the Porgy does not show up on the Sailwx.info site is "because it is a weathersite and only vessels signed up to the weather reporting system can be tracked. Since the Porgy is brand new, not all systems know her yet."

The lady did confirm the the call sign for the new Porgy is 3EZS8 (the old Porgy was 2EZS8). So, I guess we are out of luck until the Porgy gets close to the Panama Canal.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Y2K Falcon I can't believe that your car didn't make the ship. I was convinced it was going too since Twiggy made it so late too. I blame the 2010s!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Is the Undine still scheduled to arrive in New York/New Jersey tomorrow? [Oops - I forgot she arrives in Halifax tomorrow] I don't see the Undine on the arrival schedlue. What gives?

This is what the New Jersey dock looks like:

Here (probably for at least the second or more time) is a link to the harbor showing the shipping traffic:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...entery=40.6759

Are you getting excited N666BK and NeverFifty?

Last edited by RayRatt; 09-01-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
Well after two days of poking around the internet, I found a site that gives the arrival schedule for the Undine.

http://www.firstnynj.com/

Select, "Vessel Activity"

It still shows the old scheduled arrival date, 9/3. Hopefully, they will update it soon.
Ray,

You missed this post from a couple days ago.

And it's now showing:

UNDINE SHJC Public Berth - NJ 1419 Autos 9/4/2009 07:00 9/4/2009 16:00

Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Now that most of the cars are in transit, we have some time to think about ways to "you-ify" the car. I bought several items for my friend's Clubman to help her with the "you-ification" process.

I bought her:
1) Ordered a personalized license plate (take 14 to 16 weeks to arrive )
2) Ordered tow hook mounted front license plate holder from Cravenspeed
3) Ordered two front grille badge holders from Cravenspeed
4) Ordered two boot badge holders from Gominigo
5) Ordered four custom made Hello Kitty badges from CooperFlags
6) Ordered two pre-made badges from CooperFlags--more to come

She ordered her Laser Blue, Clubman with black bonnet stripes. We agreed she should add a black sport stripe to the back of the car. We also agreed she should add the Black Jack mirror caps. She is in the process of getting in contact with her sales rep. to have those things added once the car arrives.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
The Undine is scheduled to arrive in Halifax tomorrow morning. Here is a webcam of the entrance to Halifax.

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/ind...M=chebuctohead

RayRatt
Nice picture of the car carrier berth at Jersey City.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Now that most of the cars are in transit, we have some time to think about ways to "you-ify" the car. I bought several items for my friend's Clubman to help her with the "you-ification" process.
Well I am starting to freak out over the options I didn't choose that must be factory installed.

But, I did just order CLUBMAN letters from outmotoring to replace COOPER. I'm freaking out over whether to put on a clear bra while trying to find bulk 3M stuff to create my own version of the magnetic stone guards.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
Y2K - Just checking in this morning and so sorry to see that your mini didn't make the Elektra last night.

I most likely won't be able to take possession of my mini until I get back from vacation which isn't until Sept. 28th so you may have your mini before I do.

As for adding things to our mini's, so far the only thing I plan to add-on right away will be the mud flaps. I'm thinking of getting a personalized license plate but yet. My hubby really wants to add the clear bra as well but I want to do a little more research into that.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Maui Meg
As for adding things to our mini's, so far the only thing I plan to add-on right away will be the mud flaps. I'm thinking of getting a personalized license plate but yet. My hubby really wants to add the clear bra as well but I want to do a little more research into that.
I'm all-in with the mudflaps already. Really thinking I'll go with a personalized plate as Zugnut is indeed available in Virginia.

The clear bra thing is killing me. I know I can get my father-in-law to install as he did it on his BMW so he's got experience with it but I just don't know...

Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
"Your auto has been released to the carrier, and is awaiting transport to the port of exit."

Gee thanks, Automated-ASK-MINI.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
So I've been struggling with one other issue. It's a big one. For whatever reason it seems important.

What should my first MINI song be.

I mean, this is like wedding song important...though I'm a guy and frankly the wedding song was just stress over nothing. My first MINI song though, now that NEEDS to be a winner. It needs to speak something. It needs to be something so memorable that everytime I heard that song I think of my first drive in Zugnut.

It's like 'Twist & Shout'. Everytime I hear it I think of that scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I can't help it, I just do. Or U2's 'With or Without You', can't hear it without thinking about Ross & Rachel breaking up for good. Yeah that's right, a Friends reference...and I'm not ashamed of it.

So I ask, do you care as much about your first song in your new MINI and even if you care a little, do you have one picked out?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Wow. Ken... I didn't know you were a girl.

Just kidding.

I haven't given that too much thought. I just want to find out how well the "plug in your thumb drive" option works for listening, since I'm apparently the only one in the world without an iPhone/Pod. I have a friend that used to Pandora using 3G while driving, but I'd need to get a cord for that (and I think break one of the pins to get it to work, from what he told me) on my phone.

BTW... Changed my sig pic. If it offends/frightens anyone, just PM me!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Wow. Ken... I didn't know you were a girl.

Just kidding.

I haven't given that too much thought. I just want to find out how well the "plug in your thumb drive" option works for listening, since I'm apparently the only one in the world without an iPhone/Pod. I have a friend that used to Pandora using 3G while driving, but I'd need to get a cord for that (and I think break one of the pins to get it to work, from what he told me) on my phone.

BTW... Changed my sig pic. If it offends/frightens anyone, just PM me!
Awww, hahaha about that pic!

I was just reading about the USB thing, because I was looking into options of not plugging and unplugging my phone all the time for music, and what I got from it is as long as it is a fast thumbdrive, it will work ok. It's not perfect, but it works well.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon

I haven't given that too much thought. I just want to find out how well the "plug in your thumb drive" option works for listening, since I'm apparently the only one in the world without an iPhone/Pod.
Non-iStuff in this car as well. I stick with the Aux-in jack and push it from the headphones of my SanDisk. I put a radio in my current car with an aux-in way before all this mp3 stuff became popular, I was one of the few to jump on the MiniDisk Fail. Sure the audiophile nutcases can talk quality but mp3's themselves are lower quality and aaf's aren't much better. I don't think I'm doing that much damage to the music by listening to really large headphones.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Am I the only week 34er that spent/wasted the five-hundy on the Hi-Fi 10 speaker? My reasoning was:

1) I'm betting it's not awesome, but hopefully an obvious step up from the stock.
2) My head already spins reading the "which is the best upgrade" threads in the audio sub-forum. Equipment or installer.
3) At this point in my life, I don't have the time to waste scheduling an install, etc.
4) Didn't want to pay the holier-than-thou-audio-monkeys at the Best Buy (no offense if any of you work in the audio department of Best Buy) to do a butcher job like they did on my wife's Toyota once....

Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
I hate stereo upgrades. I think they just kind of screw with you. They don't screw you really, they just screw with you.

For me, I love music, but I'm just not an audiophile. If I can hear it and it isn't all whinny and stratchy I'm fine. I do totally get it and really understand why but it's just not for me.

I hummed and hawed and put my 500 on driving lights, something I will probably barely use but have always wanted. I've been drooling over the clubman when it was just a rumor and always told myself I'd push the driving lights.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by banannastand
....as long as it is a fast thumbdrive, it will work ok. It's not perfect, but it works well.
That's what I gathered. Those things are so cheap, that instead of just loading everything on a 16GB (that loads slow or whatever), I was thinking of just having "radio station"-esque genred individual thumbdrives. Then when I want to appease the kiddo, I just slap in the 2GB that she currently has loaded with whatever she wants, etc...

I have sirius in my existing car, but didn't feel like spending that kind of money to incorporate it. I like the IDEA of the integration, but...

So, I could buy another car kit and do that via Aux-in as well until the sub expires. Whether I renew or not depends on how well I can rig the thumb/mp3-player/phone-Pandora options.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
banannastand
2nd Gear
I know some of you mentioned the clear bras. Are you guys thinking of getting it? If so, are you getting it at the dealer or place somewhere else. I was skimming through some of the threads about them (I wasn't able to look too in depth and kept getting the different options mixed up), and my biggest concern was if it gets damaged, cost of taking it off, fixing it if the paint gets removed when taking it off, and that I would be taking off of my car this purchase that cost a lot to put on!

What are your thoughts on it as your cars get nearer?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Most dealers don't do bras and just use some local tint shop.

My worries are the same as yours.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kencwallace
So I've been struggling with one other issue. It's a big one. For whatever reason it seems important.

Lurking over from the "I Thought I Was Week 36, but H/K said No" thread.

I think this is a very important choice and an *awesome* question that needs its own thread; I'd love to know if others choose special commemorative songs and, if so, what they are/were.

I know that for my JCW's first trip home that I won't be playing anything, as I'll be too busy listening to its engine, but I have been trying to decide what the "first song" would be for mine, too. I've even started working on a "My New Mini" playlist in iTunes! Maybe I'll just put that playlist on shuffle and see what pops up!

Of course, the other thing I have to be careful of is not getting a speeding ticket in my first week of ownership because I'm listening to something with a good, fast beat just a little too loud. Oops!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kencwallace

I mean, this is like wedding song important...though I'm a guy and frankly the wedding song was just stress over nothing. My first MINI song though, now that NEEDS to be a winner. It needs to speak something. It needs to be something so memorable that everytime I heard that song I think of my first drive in Zugnut.
I have a song for you, a fun and happy song.

Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eONhto0x_nI

Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
I have a song for you, a fun and happy song.

Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eONhto0x_nI
Hah! Not too bad. I'm leaning on Cake 'The Distance'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PU5CVSegg

but also pushing some others around.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Kencwallace

Pretty fitting song. I didn't know there is such a thing as white collar hip-hop.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
The only song my car has been singing after watching all his buddies board the Elektra yesterday is Kelly Clarkson's Since U Been gone.

You could always go with one of the Steppenwolf's bi-fecta, Magic Carpet Ride, or Born To Be Wild. Though sadly I guess I'm a sellout because I actually prefer the remix of the first one, and The Cult version of the second.

Quick Reply: Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group