1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew it was six hours, but I typed 4. My bad.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=300

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
My counting is just fine. I already warned you about me and military time.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Ironically, the exact same time that the boat right next door in 36, the IRTYSH 1, is set to leave.
Y2K....IRTYSH 1's departure has been bumped to 2300.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kencwallace
So I think I'm the only one left that cares about the ELEKTRA? Well for whatever reason she's not on the Halifax or Port of NY/NJ schedules, but she is indeed in Halifax. A tug just finished pushing her to berth and now it's leaving.
Nope - you're not alone Ken on waiting for Elektra! I'm counting down the days until she arrives in NY (well really my home state of NJ). I'm a little bummed about the delay in not arriving until the 11th instead of the 10th but I've waited this long.

How long is the norm wait from the time it gets to the VDC, on a truck and the shipped to the dealer I wonder? That is if everything goes accordingly and there are no problems. I leave for vacation on the 18th and was really hoping to at least see my new baby before I leave.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Maui Meg
Nope - you're not alone Ken on waiting for Elektra! I'm counting down the days until she arrives in NY (well really my home state of NJ). I'm a little bummed about the delay in not arriving until the 11th instead of the 10th but I've waited this long.

How long is the norm wait from the time it gets to the VDC, on a truck and the shipped to the dealer I wonder? That is if everything goes accordingly and there are no problems. I leave for vacation on the 18th and was really hoping to at least see my new baby before I leave.
Maui Meg, My dealer said that if everything goes fine that I should probably get my car by the 18th, and it has to travel all the way up to Buffalo.... So if yours doesn't need to go too far... hopefully you will get it!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
I feel for everyone on Elektra. Any delays can be frustrating. Faust decided to pull a one day delay in leaving S'Hampton - don't imagine she's going to pick up speed on the water to make up for lost time. Unless, of course, Y2K made a call to the captain.

Meg - A week should be enough time to get the car to your dealership. Do you have any add-ons that the dealer will have to do before he releases the car to you?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear

This is one of the very few times I can say that I wish I still lived in NJ, just to be closer to the VDC. I do NOT say that very often however.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DashHouston
Unless, of course, Y2K made a call to the captain.
Who do you think got the IRTYSH 1 bumped?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
You were right! I was an hour off....

Old 09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Bon Voyage little Falcon and baby Dash...........safe journeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Yawnnnnnn.....! Good morning all. Figured I'd get a good night's rest since today will probably be spent for hours on end staring at this computer for updates.

In the past few weeks I've become very VIN-literate (thanks to Google). The 10th digit of the VIN represents the year 8='08, 9='09, but A='10. Here's a cheatsheet for you.

http://www.sjbaker.org/telamom/vin.html
You had me worried for a second! My first look at that website made me think my MINI was actually a Mercury made in Germany! Then, after reading the fine print, I breathed a sigh of relief.

One obvious error is where he says MINIs always have an "R" for the 4th character in their VIN - all of ours have a "W" as far as I know. Still, good information - thanks.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
You were right! I was an hour off....

Congrats! Pretty soon you get to deal with the frustration that is sailwx updates.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
You had me worried for a second! My first look at that website made me think my MINI was actually a Mercury made in Germany! Then, after reading the fine print, I breathed a sigh of relief.

One obvious error is where he says MINIs always have an "R" for the 4th character in their VIN - all of ours have a "W" as far as I know. Still, good information - thanks.
There is also something off, because if I read my VIN through this, then I would have a MINI Cooper Convertible on the way!

Maybe they had one left over and decided to upgrade me!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Congrats! Pretty soon you get to deal with the frustration that is sailwx updates.
Well, at least your ship might broadcast a location report once in awhile - the Porgy is so new she has not joined the Sail-wx weather reporting system yet. So, for the last week, all us west-coasters have had to worry about is pirates and hurricanes.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
This is one of the very few times I can say that I wish I still lived in NJ, just to be closer to the VDC. I do NOT say that very often however.
Easy there Ken - don't be knocking my wittle state. It may be Jersey but it's my home.

The only after factory item I'm adding right away are the mud flaps. Have to call my MA to see when they do that - do they have to wait for me to sign the papers first or what?

OK - another question. Is anyone here thinking about doing any of the extended warranties? From someone else here at my job who just bought a mini (off the lot) - he said that they had about 6 different options and he picked the top 2 - one was to cover him up to 100,000 miles and the 2nd one was to protect his tires (something like that). He of course was thinking he shouldn't have done it as it also raised his monthly payment a bit. I haven't seen the options yet but just curious as to what you guys are thinking?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Thanks?????

Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by banannastand
There is also something off, because if I read my VIN through this, then I would have a MINI Cooper Convertible on the way!

Maybe they had one left over and decided to upgrade me!
Me too!! I didn't want to call my MA.....was hoping he just surprise me with it. Hmm....I wonder if it has something to do with sunroofs (of which I DID order). Either way.......I'm not sending it back.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Gosh....I just spent the last hour following the ship via webcams. Out of Southampton. Past Fawley and Hamble. Coming into, next to, and past Cowes and beyond. (Kind of like sending your firstborn off on a schoolbus to kindergarten.) Sunset prohibited me from getting screenshots as it passed the Solent webcam though. Thanks goodness we're going to lose contact soon, else I'll never get any work done around here.

BTW....if my boss asks.....y'all have NEVER even heard of me, right?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Easy there Ken - don't be knocking my wittle state. It may be Jersey but it's my home.

The only after factory item I'm adding right away are the mud flaps. Have to call my MA to see when they do that - do they have to wait for me to sign the papers first or what?
What I did with my MA was I actually signed the build sheet which included all of the options. I'm an hour away from my MINI dealer so I am hoping that will give him the idea of running with it prior to me driving all the way there. That combined with signing the price sheet, that included a price for all accessories, should give him enough security to just run with it.

I would think, if you signed off on a price that includes accessories, they would just do it. However, if it isn't included in that 'signed on the dotted line' price then they'd need some sort of pre-approval. I'm sure a phone call will do.

You need to hem-and-haw over mudflaps though. I got my MA to cover the install over being wishywashy. As you can see in my signature, my vehicle is mostly dealer accessories which I'm sure helped.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
So YOU were the one that kept flippin' through the cameras, Dash....

Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
So YOU were the one that kept flippin' through the cameras, Dash....
You're messing with me, right? There's no way I could have messed up your chances of watching the departure. I've got a play-by-play screenshot document of the different webcams I followed. A copy is yours if you say the word.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Me too!! I didn't want to call my MA.....was hoping he just surprise me with it. Hmm....I wonder if it has something to do with sunroofs (of which I DID order). Either way.......I'm not sending it back.
I ordered a sunroof too, but what I am hoping is that it is a 50th MINI birthday gift to me, since mine was finished on the actual 50th Birthday!
maybe....

Old 09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
I still don't know what is going on at the Panama Canal. The VesselTracker website claims to only have a 1 to 2 hour delay for their ship locator map, but the Porgy (and all the other ships) still has a timestamp of 6:40 am (she is shown as moored in the harbor at Colon on the east end of the canal). It is now 3:40 pm in Panama - so there is a 9-hour delay on that display. Thus, since it takes 8 to 10 hours to pass thru the canal, there is a possibility that Porgy is already in the Pacific - or maybe still waiting at the Atlantic side for a green light to start the journey.

I have not been glued to the live webcams at the Gatun Locks (Atlantic end), Centennial Bridge, or the Miraflores Locks (Pacific end), but I have checked as often as I can hoping to catch a glimpse of the Porgy passing by. So far, no Porgy.

Oh well, at least we know she made it across the Atlantic.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
I couldn't even get the dealership to throw in a couple of floor mats, much less a complimentary convertible. But.......here's hoping............................

Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
What I did with my MA was I actually signed the build sheet which included all of the options. I'm an hour away from my MINI dealer so I am hoping that will give him the idea of running with it prior to me driving all the way there. That combined with signing the price sheet, that included a price for all accessories, should give him enough security to just run with it.

I would think, if you signed off on a price that includes accessories, they would just do it. However, if it isn't included in that 'signed on the dotted line' price then they'd need some sort of pre-approval. I'm sure a phone call will do.

You need to hem-and-haw over mudflaps though. I got my MA to cover the install over being wishywashy. As you can see in my signature, my vehicle is mostly dealer accessories which I'm sure helped.
The mud flaps are on my price sheet and MA is picking up the price + install. Still want to make sure that as long as they have my mini in their possession for the 9 days I'm away I would love for it to be completely ready once I return. =) Normally when a vacation is done I'm all bummed but I think this time I may just be happy to come home.

Hey Dash - welcome the group.

Quick Reply: Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group