1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maui Meg
The mud flaps are on my price sheet and MA is picking up the price + install. Still want to make sure that as long as they have my mini in their possession for the 9 days I'm away I would love for it to be completely ready once I return. =) Normally when a vacation is done I'm all bummed but I think this time I may just be happy to come home.

Hey Dash - welcome the group.
Thanks for the warm welcome. As you can tell.....I lurked quietly for few weeks, then it got to a point where I just couldn't stand sitting quietly by. Especially when I found out that someone else who was active on this board was expecting a car to be on the same Trans-Atlantic voyage as mine.

I so hope that you get your car pre-vacation, although......if you did.....wouldn't you rather be at home? (Unless of course you find yourself in a place like.....oh...I dunno.........Maui?)

Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Y2K....sent you a PM

Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Dash,

I think our cars might be getting real cozy! I loaded 16 minutes after it started, if I did that right, at 9:58, and I was the 34th car (again if I did that right). If you were before me, we're really close. I don't know how many cars they do per row, but sounds like we are probably on adjoining if not the same row?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
STATUS FOR SEPTEMBER 9, 2009

Banannastand, NY, aboard Elektra, ETA NY 9/11

Blouise, NY, aboard Elektra, ETA NY 9/11

DashHouston, TX, aboard Faust, ETA Brunswick GA 9/20

JcM1n1, SoCal, aboard Porgy, ETA CA 9/18

Kencwallace, VA, aboard Elektra, ETA NY 9/11

Maui Meg, NJ, aboard Elektra, ETA NY 9/11

N666BK, NJ, discharged from vessel 9/4, en route to dealer

Neverfifty, VA, discharged from vessel 9/4, en route to dealer

Norcaltinkerbell, NorCal, aboard Porgy, ETA CA 9/18

RayRatt, WA, "Twiggy" aboard Porgy, ETA CA 9/18

UAL_Kingpin's friend, SoCal, aboard Porgy, ETA CA 9/18

Y2K Falcon, TX, aboard Faust, ETA Brunswick GA 9/20

SHIP TRACKING INFORMATION

Ship name - - - Callsign - - -Destination - - - - -ETA - -Who is aboard
Elektra - - - - - SIWB - - - - -New York, NY - - - - 9/11 - - Banannastand, Blouise, Kencwallace, Maui Meg
Faust - - - - - - SLKQ - - - - -Brunswick, GA - - - -9/20 - - DashHouston, Y2K Falcon
Porgy - - - - - 2EZS8 - - - - Port Hueneme, CA - - 9/18 - - JcM1n1, Norcaltinkerbell, RayRatt, UAL_Kingpin's friend

There are two parallel threads that we cross-post on:
MINIs in General > 1st Gear > Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009)
MINIs in General > General MINI Talk > Production Time

Use this site to track ship by NAME
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/dat...HIP&level1=220

Use this site to track ship by CALLSIGN (works better for open ocean tracking)
http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/index.html

Halifax, NS webcam
http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/ind...chebuct ohead

Port of New York/New Jersey ship arrival schedule
http://www.firstnynj.com/

Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
With all my friends safely aboard their ships, I can now delete all my bookmarks related to the UK.

Goodbye Oxford, Goodbye Southampton, Goodbye The Solent, Goodbye ...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
RayRatt

It looks like the Porgy has been rescheduled to enter the first lock at 800 on 9/10. It is scheduled to leave the last lock at 1710.

http://www.pancanal.com/evtms-rpts/a...canal%20pdf%22

Page 8, right sided: "First Lock Time" "Depart Last Lock"

Look at the, "Prepared on:" date and time. It is pretty recent

Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
With all my friends safely aboard their ships, I can now delete all my bookmarks related to the UK.

Until next we meet, because, well...yeah, I think I'll be a mini-man for the rest of my life after this one.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
RayRatt

It looks like the Porgy has been rescheduled to enter the first lock at 800 on 9/10. It is scheduled to leave the last lock at 1710.
Good catch, UAL. I missed those two columns.

I just checked the Vessletracker site and saw that the Porgy, which had be anchored in the Colon Harbor all day, is now on the move. She was headed toward the entrance to the canal as of 11:41 am (the Vesseltracker website has an eight hour delay). So, I'm thinking she might have actually started through the first lock a couple hours ago. Time will tell!

Update: Now, just ten minutes later, the Porgy has stopped moving - she is moored outside the harbor.

Last edited by RayRatt; 09-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by banannastand
...since mine was finished on the actual 50th Birthday!
maybe....
I've been like hoping and hoping they did something for the 50th anniversary cars. I honestly don't think they did but I just keep hoping

Last edited by ZugginAround; 09-09-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear

Say it isn't so Kingpin. We've got to keep tabs and once all cars have been delivered, there should be a "Week 34" reunion/union.

What an amazing thread to have been a part of -- truly the last of the the 50th anniversary births!

Last edited by DashHouston; 09-09-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DashHouston
Say it isn't so Kingpin. We've got to keep tabs and once all cars have been delivered, there should be a "Week 34" reunion/union.

What an amazing thread to have been a part of -- truly the last of the the 50th anniversary births!
It ain't over yet. No one has received their car yet. With 12 people on the roster here, there will be hundreds of more posts on this thread regarding taking possession of the car and posting pictures.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear

I think all UAL was saying is he was deleting the bookmarks he had made for tracking things in England. I am sure we will be writing and reading posts to and from each other for several weeks.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kencwallace
I've been like hoping and hoping they did something for the 50th anniversary cars. I honestly don't think they did but I just keep hoping
I can't wait to see what my 5+ day paint job looks like.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 09-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
rederik
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
The ship locations on the Vesseltracker.com site are supposed to be delayed just 1 to 2 hours for those of us who signed up for a free membership (24 hour delay otherwise). But, all the ship locations are 8 hours old. Thus, there is no sign of the Porgy yet. If the Porgy is supposed to be at Manzanillo by 8 am, she needs to be starting thru the Guatan locks pretty quick. I am not going to stay up all night looking for her, but it is just 10 pm here so I will look in every few minutes for the next couple hours.
thanks! i guess that means my MINI is a week 31? i actually thought the build week is when it came out the factory which is 8/19.

the only option i really wanted was the sport package but with 750 off msrp and 1.9 apr on the 09, plus less waiting so i jumped into it.

too bad i have no idea when it actually started production and gone through each step in the process.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM
rederik
2nd Gear
Welcome - better late than never! Your MINI was caught up in the factory closure during the first two weeks of August - your car was completed about when most of the people on this thread were just getting started.

Glad you found an '09 that had what you wanted - but, you sure missed out on a lot of exciting moments (along with some frustrations) by not getting to follow your MINI through the production process!

sorry about previous post, i meant to repy to the quote above

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
rederik
2nd Gear
Yes, welcome! I'm glad I took the plunge from lurker to poster. After all the prior readings, I felt like I already knew everybody.

There is such a vast amount of knowledge and, well quite frankly, ship stalking, on this forum that it's making the wait quite enjoyable.

Have to admit that I sure wouldn't want to cross RayRatt, UAL Kingpin or Y2K Falcon. I swear they could track down the true identities of people in the witness protection program.
thanks! people here are quite good at keeping track of their and some other's MINIs. all i know with mine is it was unloaded from the undine on 09/04 so any day now...

Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rederik
thanks! i guess that means my MINI is a week 31? i actually thought the build week is when it came out the factory which is 8/19.
I doubt there are any firm rules about which group a car belongs in. Besides, not every week has a thread like this one - we seem to have an unusual group of people here!

While your MINI was started in Week 31, I think you belong in the Week 34 group. I can't imagine the frustration that you would have had to live with if you had known it was sitting at the tail end of the assembly line for two weeks waiting for the last few steps.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
rederik
2nd Gear
I can't imagine the frustration that you would have had to live with if you had known it was sitting at the tail end of the assembly line for two weeks waiting for the last few steps.
exactly!

thing is, if not for those 2 weeks, the car would have arrived at the dealer sooner and could have been sold even before i went there.

just hope it wasnt half painted when they held production

Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
rederik

Where was your port of entry? What state are you in? Let us know and I'll add you to the list.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
I can't wait to see what my 5+ day paint job looks like.
Hah!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
I can't imagine the frustration that you would have had to live with if you had known it was sitting at the tail end of the assembly line for two weeks waiting for the last few steps.
sounds like Y2k?

Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
Thanks for the warm welcome. As you can tell.....I lurked quietly for few weeks, then it got to a point where I just couldn't stand sitting quietly by. Especially when I found out that someone else who was active on this board was expecting a car to be on the same Trans-Atlantic voyage as mine.

I so hope that you get your car pre-vacation, although......if you did.....wouldn't you rather be at home? (Unless of course you find yourself in a place like.....oh...I dunno.........Maui?)
Hey Dash - no such luck this year (Maui next year ) but still a fun trip planned - cross country trek on Amtrak to the Grand Canyon and then onto the happiest place on earth - Disneyland. =)

I plan to call my MA today and see about what he thinks my mini's ETA is and such. I'm actually ok with leaving it at the dealer for my vacation as I'd be more worried about leaving my new baby all alone in the driveway while I'm gone (unfortunately no garage to park it in).

Old 09-10-2009, 05:38 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Dash,

I think our cars might be getting real cozy! I loaded 16 minutes after it started, if I did that right, at 9:58, and I was the 34th car (again if I did that right). If you were before me, we're really close. I don't know how many cars they do per row, but sounds like we are probably on adjoining if not the same row?
Real close. Mine was the 24th one loaded. I hope he got a window seat.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:45 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
RayRatt

It looks like the Porgy has been rescheduled to enter the first lock at 800 on 9/10.
Almost there.

....tick...tick....tick.....

Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 AM
blouise
2nd Gear
Hi everyone- can't believe that the ship is finally going to dock in New Jersey TOMORROW! I just put a call into my MA to verify that I'll be able to pick it up on Saturday the 19th.... Waiting to hear back from him. We are taking a train across the state to the dealership so that we can both drive the car home- about a three hour drive. Next step is to plot the most winding roads from there (schenectedy, NY) to here (Rochester, NY). Considering John Lennon CD among others for the drive back home.

Have any of you found a more attractive roof rack than the one available through the dealership? I wish the rack was parallel to the sides of the car rather than the more awkward (in my opinion) slashes across the roof.

now counting the days on my two hands until Peppo is in my hands!

Quick Reply: Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group