1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 AM
rederik
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone! congrats to everyone else who have received their MINIs! finally had time to sneak in a few pics of the car in my gallery too bad their only cellphone pics

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=71153

Old 09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Y2K Falcon
3rd Gear
Getting dressed for the long (1.5 hour) drive to San Antonio...

4:30 appointment to pick up! They close at 6, so I can't feel TOO pressured by the finance guy!

We already ran the paperwork for approval on $10k at the 1.9%. I didn't want a huge payment, so just picked that number as a good number to provide a low payment without wiping out our savings too much.

I took a shower so I'll be nice and fresh for my first date. Oh wait... It's a male isn't it. Nevermind!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:06 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Rederik, pure silver on pure silver is a classy, yet sporty look. Nice.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Getting dressed for the long (1.5 hour) drive to San Antonio...
Not as long as the drive home will be.

Let me know if along the way he starts telling tall tales of escapades on the Faust with a mellow yellow buddy.................

Old 09-26-2009, 03:50 PM
MiniCrazy09
1st Gear
Can't wait to see everyone and their new MINIs!!!

Have fun today!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:14 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
What a day! My wife and I took the train to Tacoma (it arrived at 10:57 am, just one minute late). Our MA called me just as we were pulling into the station and came right over to give us a ride the 2 miles back to Northwest MINI. Twiggy was in the showroom, covered with a MINI wrap. Ordinarily, they wait until the paperwork is all done to unveil the new car, but I already knew enough to realize it was probably Twiggy hiding under there - so I asked, and the MA undressed her. How beautiful she was! Even more than I had envisioned.

The MA took quite a bit of time (an hour and a half or more) explaining how everything worked and what all the books were for, etc. The part I had been dreading most was the financial paperwork - especially the "certain" attempt I knew they would make to sell me the 10-year/100,000 mile extended warranty, the extended maintenance package, the protective covering option, the Lo-Jack anti-theft option, etc. But, the lady was very nice and made no effort to convince me to reconsider when I told her I was not interested in any of the packages. She had all the papers ready to sign, and we were all done and out of her office in less than 15 minutes. I have never had such a positive experience in buying a car.

My MA included the floor mats gratis, and the gas tank was full. So, after taking some pictures, it was time to say goodbye - my final words were, "Let's Motor!"

The dealership is 79 miles from where we live. But, I couldn't bring myself to drive home on the freeway. So, I hooked up my iPod (the first song was, of course, "Come Saturday Morning" by the Sandpipers) and headed in the "wrong" direction... looking for the old highway. My son had given me a Garmin Nuvi (customized so the drawing of Twiggy with the Euro-style license plate comes up on screen when I turn it on - and the little car icon on the map is a Nightfire Red MINI with a black top and black bonnet stripes!), so I decided to see how long it would take to drive the lady inside nuts. Every time I ignored her attempt to direct me back to the freeway, I could almost detect her frustration with me - I thought she might get so fed up that she would just say, "I tired of recalculating - you're on your own!"

Anyway, it took us four hours to get home. I've driven those back roads many times before, but never did I have so much fun. We stopped for lunch in a teryaki place in Stanaway, and later stopped for some Marionberry cobbler in Chehalis. I never quit smiling all the way home, and I hope the feeling I get from driving Twiggy never goes away. I had forgotten a car could be such a joy to drive - I felt like I was 22 years old again, when I bought my first new car (a 1967 Formula S Barracuda fastback that I wish I still had).

I will post some photos of Twiggy in my gallery after I get her cleaned up - even though I was driving on the back roads, the bugs found her! Meanwhile, here are three photos I took at the dealer.

I am still amazed at how much fun it was tracking the progress of Twiggy - the people in the Week 34 Support Group and the Nightfire Red Owners Club were wonderful during the 2-month long period of "labor" and car-birth - I couldn't have done it without you!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 AM
MiniCrazy09
1st Gear
I could just feel your excitement in that post Rayratt! And the weather couldn't have been nicer today!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
What a day!
What a perfect day! One that you will think about often -and- will be able to relive by coming to this thread. Twiggy is absolutely gorgeous and it's obvious she has two proud parents. Thanks for letting us share in your happiness!

PS...in all your excitement, were you able to catch a glimpse of Bert?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
MiniCrazy......you're next!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
RayRatt

I am so happy for you! Twiggy looks great. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of Twiggy.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rederik
Hi everyone! congrats to everyone else who have received their MINIs! finally had time to sneak in a few pics of the car in my gallery too bad their only cellphone pics

We waited like two weeks to see pictures of your car. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. Your Mini looks great!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rederik

Oh Wow! I love the silver and silver!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 AM
banannastand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
What a day! My wife and I took the train to Tacoma (it arrived at 10:57 am, just one minute late). Our MA called me just as we were pulling into the station and came right over to give us a ride the 2 miles back to Northwest MINI. Twiggy was in the showroom, covered with a MINI wrap. Ordinarily, they wait until the paperwork is all done to unveil the new car, but I already knew enough to realize it was probably Twiggy hiding under there - so I asked, and the MA undressed her. How beautiful she was! Even more than I had envisioned.

The MA took quite a bit of time (an hour and a half or more) explaining how everything worked and what all the books were for, etc. The part I had been dreading most was the financial paperwork - especially the "certain" attempt I knew they would make to sell me the 10-year/100,000 mile extended warranty, the extended maintenance package, the protective covering option, the Lo-Jack anti-theft option, etc. But, the lady was very nice and made no effort to convince me to reconsider when I told her I was not interested in any of the packages. She had all the papers ready to sign, and we were all done and out of her office in less than 15 minutes. I have never had such a positive experience in buying a car.

My MA included the floor mats gratis, and the gas tank was full. So, after taking some pictures, it was time to say goodbye - my final words were, "Let's Motor!"

The dealership is 79 miles from where we live. But, I couldn't bring myself to drive home on the freeway. So, I hooked up my iPod (the first song was, of course, "Come Saturday Morning" by the Sandpipers) and headed in the "wrong" direction... looking for the old highway. My son had given me a Garmin Nuvi (customized so the drawing of Twiggy with the Euro-style license plate comes up on screen when I turn it on - and the little car icon on the map is a Nightfire Red MINI with a black top and black bonnet stripes!), so I decided to see how long it would take to drive the lady inside nuts. Every time I ignored her attempt to direct me back to the freeway, I could almost detect her frustration with me - I thought she might get so fed up that she would just say, "I tired of recalculating - you're on your own!"

Anyway, it took us four hours to get home. I've driven those back roads many times before, but never did I have so much fun. We stopped for lunch in a teryaki place in Stanaway, and later stopped for some Marionberry cobbler in Chehalis. I never quit smiling all the way home, and I hope the feeling I get from driving Twiggy never goes away. I had forgotten a car could be such a joy to drive - I felt like I was 22 years old again, when I bought my first new car (a 1967 Formula S Barracuda fastback that I wish I still had).

I will post some photos of Twiggy in my gallery after I get her cleaned up - even though I was driving on the back roads, the bugs found her! Meanwhile, here are three photos I took at the dealer.

I am still amazed at how much fun it was tracking the progress of Twiggy - the people in the Week 34 Support Group and the Nightfire Red Owners Club were wonderful during the 2-month long period of "labor" and car-birth - I couldn't have done it without you!

Congrats on finally getting Twiggy!!! You guys all look great!!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM
rederik
2nd Gear
thanks for the compliments! sorry for the late pics. great looking MINI, Rayratt

Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 AM
ongf001
1st Gear
Aloha to all you lucky 34 week-sters

You all are soooo lucky! I still have to wait another 3 weeks or so for my MINI to be shipped from the mainland to here in Hawaii. I know my order was offloaded at Galveston and is being trucked to Port Hueneme but have no ability to track of it since. Now I'll be envious of all your motoring while I sit alone in this forum...

Old 09-28-2009, 05:16 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ongf001
I know my order was offloaded at Galveston and is being trucked to Port Hueneme but have no ability to track of it since. Now I'll be envious of all your motoring while I sit alone in this forum...
You are not alone. I'm still waiting for the call from my MA.

I was able to track mine on land (somewhat). I went to the wallenius wilhelmsen website and got the number to the port (in your case, Galveston) under "Office & Agents". I gave the WW port people the VIN and asked them for the car carrier shipping info. You should be able to get more info, or at least the date and place where it will once again leave dry land (and possibly ship name). Then, it's business as usual in tracking the ship to Hawaii! I hope this helps!!

Last edited by DashHouston; 09-28-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 AM
MiniCrazy09
1st Gear
Sorry for the delay in updating. I was running on two hours sleep, after a 12 hour shift at the hospital, when I went to pick up Bert.

He was covered in the showroom...well, I knew it was him LOL My MA went over some info at his desk. Then, the moment I had waited years for, he presented my MINI. Love at first sight

The drive home has never been sweeter! He's all that I ever wanted and more. What an awesome journey this has been. I'm so glad I found this site. It was nice to have others to obsess with LOL

Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Glad Bert made it home safe and sound. Now weekends won't come soon enough for you.

Pics please.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Here's why my MA sucks... I asked if they received any '10s on the truck. He acted like I was crazy. "Oh, they'll hold them at the VDC until November or so and start releasing the '10s then. Trust me, I know. I've been selling minis for 5 years."
When I picked up Twiggy on Saturday, my MA told me the same thing - he said all 2010 MINIs would be held at the VDC until November. I thought they might just hold the ones that were not customer ordered. Nope - he said the bulletin said ALL of them will be held.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
DashHouston
2nd Gear
Whoo hoo!! My MA called to see if I could stop by later this afternoon to pick up my little guy. Hmmm...lemme think about that. Uh.... !

Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
RayRatt
4th Gear
STATUS FOR SEPTEMBER 28, 2009

Banannastand, NY, took delivery on 9/19 (Horizon Blue/Black MCS), photos in gallery
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=70278

Blouise, NY, took delivery of "Peppo" on 9/16 (Pepper White/Black MC), photos in gallery
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=70026

DashHouston, TX, took delivery on 9/28 (Mellow Yellow/White MC)

JcM1n1, SoCal, took delivery on 9/25 (Chili Red MCC)

Maui Meg, NJ, took delivery on 9/28 (Horizon Blue/White MCS)

MiniCrazy09, WA, took delivery of "Bert" on 9/27 (Mellow Yellow/White MCS)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...t/P1010255.jpg

N666BK, NJ, took delivery of "BumbleBee" on 9/12 (Mellow Yellow/White MC)
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...thedealers.jpg

Neverfifty, VA, took delivery on 9/12 (Chili Red/Chili Red MCS), photos in gallery
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=22877

Norcaltinkerbell, NorCal, took delivery on 9/26 (Horizon Blue/White MC), photos in gallery
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=68230

RayRatt, WA, took delivery of "Twiggy" on 9/26 (Nightfire Red/Black MC), photos in gallery
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&ppuser=69504

Rederik, MD, took delivery on 9/12 (Pure Silver/Pure Silver MCS), photos in gallery

UAL_Kingpin's friend, SoCal, disgusted with dealer - decided not to buy the car;
reordered another Clubman on 9/27 from a different dealer (2010 Laser Blue/Black MCCS)

Y2K Falcon, TX, took delivery on 9/26 (Chili Red MCCS)

ZugginAround, VA, took delivery of "Zugnut" on 9/25 (Hot Chocolate/Silver MCC)

Last edited by RayRatt; 09-30-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added links to photos in various Galleries
Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 AM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Maui Meg
I'm pretty sure that I'll probably be one of the last in our group to actually pick-up their car from the dealer if I have to wait until my vacation is over. I hope that you'll all still be around for me to share my excitement with.
Hey Maui Meg - Are you back yet? We are all dying to hear about your MINI - and to see pictures!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
As for me and Lynn's situation, we talked it over and she has decided not to buy the Clubman she originally ordered and take the loss on the deposit. She didn't like the way she was treated, and that took all the excitement from her.

After talking to her, we both decided she should order a 2010 Clubman and get back on the saddle again. We configured the 2010 online today, and she will make an appointment with another Mini dealer to order the car this weekend.
I am very happy to see UAL_Kingpin's friend Lynn ordered another Clubman yesterday. I hope and pray that this experience will go MUCH better than with the Clubman she wanted to buy from Monrovia MINI. I am still amazed at how poorly the dealer handled that situation.

Please keep the Week 34 group posted once in awhile as to the progress of Lynn's car - and, we expect pictures when it arrives!

I have updated the status chart UAL created - hopefully I will be able to add some more links to pictures as people upload their photos to their Gallery (hint... it is very simple to upload photos from your computer - just click on "Gallery" in one of your posts and follow the steps).

Thanks, UAL, for all you did to make this support group so useful to all of us.

Last edited by RayRatt; 09-28-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Yesterday was another perfect day (last one for awhile, I'm afraid), so we took Twiggy to see the Pacific Ocean. We took a small 9-car ferry across the Columbia River to Oregon at Cathlamet, and then drove to Astoria and on to Seaside (the end of the Oregon Trail). Coming home, we drove across the 5-mile long bridge at the mouth of the Columbia and took the backroads along the Washington shore. Twiggy was a little scared of going across the covered bridge at Grays River - she has so much to see and learn!

I hope all of you are enjoying your new MINI as much as I am. Please - post some photos if you haven't already done so!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
RayRatt

That is a really nice photo of Twiggy going through a covered bridge. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Also thank you for keeping the list updated.

Quick Reply: Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group