1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DashHouston
My redirected goal that morning was to search out roads with water on them that I could splash through to wash away the smell. Kind of fun. Kind of necessary. (Between the smell and the white stripes, other drivers must've thought I carried the skunk theme a bit too far.)
Too bad your MINI wasn't black with white bonnet stripes - that would have turned a few heads as you drove by!

Seriously, I'm glad it was just a skunk. I've seen the damage a collision with a dog can do (and I once hit a deer at the Grand Canyon and had to be towed in for repairs).

I'm looking forward to your pics - anyone else who hasn't posted a photo of their new MINI yet, please do so soon. (that means you JcMini, Maui Meg, and Y2K Falcon)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:01 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Dash

Sorry to hear about your encounter with the skunk. Poor Mini

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
woohoo! Awesome morning today. Got to drive Zugnut into work and had someone flag me down after I parked it to ask about it. Hopefully I convinced him to become another MINI owner.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZugginAround
woohoo! Awesome morning today. Got to drive Zugnut into work and had someone flag me down after I parked it to ask about it. Hopefully I convinced him to become another MINI owner.
Oh cool! Zugnut is getting some deserved attention. I hope no one tries to flag Lynn down when she gets her Clubman. That would scare the crap out of her. Living in the mean streets of Los Angeles, one is scared to be approached by strangers.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Last week Twiggy went to see the Pacific Ocean - today she got to see Mt. St. Helens. I had to leave her in the parking lot at the Ape Canyon trailhead - as small as she is, the trail was just too narrow.

Last edited by RayRatt; 10-07-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
Last week Twiggy went to see the Pacific Ocean - today she got to see Mt. St. Helens. I had to leave her in the parking lot at the Ape Canyon trailhead - as small as she is, the trial was just too narrow.

Awesome picture of Twiggy Thank you for sharing that with us.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Man, Twiggy sure gets around...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
Hey guys - how's everyone enjoying their new additions?

Love seeing the pictures of Twiggy getting out and about. Thanks for sharing.

I know that I'm behind in my pictures of Lil Sparrow (the name that I finally decided on for my mini) but promise this week.

Have to say that I am loving my mini - just really got to get it out this w/end for the first time since bringing him home. Got our license plates from the dealer and registration (boy that came in quick). We also took him to meet the family at my mom's b'day party. They all think he's adorable.

OK - so what is everyone's fave feature on the car so far? I know that this is silly but I just love the mood lighting. LOL It was just one of those things that I didn't realize it had but love playing with the different colors.

OK - time to get back to work.

Meg

Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 PM
norcaltinkerbell
1st Gear
Meg- I love the mood-lighting too! My favorite feature is the heated front seats. Talk about some lower back love at the end of the day (or beginning of the day)

RayRatt- I love the pics of Twiggy. Makes me miss my mini (I'm currently out of state on business for 2 weeks, right after I took delivery =/)

Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
No heated seats here. But I do have the driving lights which is like turning on the sun at night. Plus I love how they look.

I'm in love with the hidden boot storage spot thing.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
I'm in love with the hidden boot storage spot thing.
Am I missing something? Another hiding spot? Or, are you talking about the secret compartment in the dash?

I can't name any one particular thing I love the most. The way the car was designed to be functional and still be beautiful is pretty neat. I am very happy with the iPod interface, and I suspect in a couple more months I will say I love the heated seats most!

And the way a MINI takes the curves brings back childhood memories of driving go-karts at the beach - I am constantly thinking of ways to find a back road to avoid the freeway! Of course, I like the way people stop to look as I drive thru some little town - a MINI is a scarce animal even in the big city, but people really seem to notice them in the small towns and villages.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Clubman. I open the barn doors and I have a loading floor. That loading floor accordions up and I have another level. Below that is a little spot in the middle of the tire change kit.

But yeah, that secret compartment above the glove box is pretty sweet.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
Clubman.
But yeah, that secret compartment above the glove box is pretty sweet.
It's funny - my husband works with a guy that has had his mini for a little over a year. It wasn't until my hubby mentioned the secret compartment glovebox that he even realized it was there.

Haven't tried my heated seats yet but can't wait to try them out come the cold weather. Also have to try and hook-up my ipod to see how that works.

Is anyone using the bluetooth capability yet? I have it but of course my current phone isn't compatible so I will be upgrading soon. Anyone have any recommendations? My hubby wants the iphone but that means switching phone companys.

I'm actually meeting up with some other mini owners from the NJ club on this board tonight. I went once before but before I had my mini. I'm excited to show off my Lil Sparrow tonight to peeps that understand that he's more than just a little car.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 AM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
So I'll throw this out there, what I love best about my MINI is the MINI community.

Someone whom works with my wife bought one, now 9months old. His only complaint was the seatbelt getting stuck in the door. I immediately told him the solution (see about your mini videos) and he was shocked. Note I did say it WAS his only complaint.

So yeah, the community is favorite feature. Can learn so much from each other.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
I totally agree - I love this community as I've learned so much from everyone on this board. Not to mention meeting a lot of nice people. I also have to say that I'm so glad that I was in week 34 with all of you - our group rocks!

You know it's funny - even my MA asked if I want a job as he said I seem know as much about mini as he does and it's all due to this board. LOL

The group that I'm meeting up with tonight are a real nice group and were so welcoming to me the newbie (even before my mini arrived). They seem to get together quite a bit to motor and eat - a lot of fun.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Well last night Lynn and I watched her ship sail into Southampton to pick up her Mini while we chatted on webcam. The ship is scheduled to arrive in Port Hueneme on 10/30. She will most likely pick up the car the following Saturday, 11/7. This coming Tuesday, 10/13, is the day I am suppose to see Lynn's original Mini in person during an 8 hour layover in Los Angeles while on my way back to San Francisco from visiting my sister in Boston. Instead of checking out her new Mini, we will just eat lunch and hang out. I will give her the Ipod Classic I bought for her coming Mini. I already loaded the Ipod with a bunch of songs she likes, so she can enjoy her Harmon/Kardon system.

On a different note, where in the world is Y2K Falcon? He has not posted for many days now.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Well, Lynn must be getting a little excited by now. It wasn't that long ago that all of us Week 34-ers were tracking the ships like you two now are (again).

I found this TV commercial for the 50th anniversary of MINI - it cracked me up since the color of the MINI they featured is no longer offered on the Cooper (I got the last one!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIaI7...eature=channel

Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM
ongf001
1st Gear
Alright!!! I got my MINI this Thursday! Haven't driven it much while making sure my insurance is in force but now that it is, it's motoring time. Many thanks to Robert at MINIHawaii for working with me to get the first 2010 in Hawaii!!!
Woohoo!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ongf001
Alright!!! I got my MINI this Thursday! Haven't driven it much while making sure my insurance is in force but now that it is, it's motoring time. Many thanks to Robert at MINIHawaii for working with me to get the first 2010 in Hawaii!!!
Woohoo!
Oh wow, your Mini went on quite an adventure. Congrats on finally getting your Mini. How long did the entire process from production to delivery take? It seemed like eight weeks.

Please post pictures!

Last edited by UAL_Kingpin; 10-17-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Well, Lynn must be getting a little excited by now. It wasn't that long ago that all of us Week 34-ers were tracking the ships like you two now are (again).

I found this TV commercial for the 50th anniversary of MINI - it cracked me up since the color of the MINI they featured is no longer offered on the Cooper (I got the last one!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIaI7...eature=channel

I am sure they chose Nightfire Red for a reason. I am so happy you are enjoying Twiggy.

As far as Lynn's Clubman is concerned, everything is going according to plan. Her MA, Amanda White, called to see if she has any questions. Lynn told her the car is on the ship, and the ship will arrive at Port Hueneme on 10/30. According to Amanda, her computer still show the car as "awaiting transport"--just like the Owner's Lounge. People tracking their car on NAM have more information than the dealer.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 PM
ongf001
1st Gear
Home in Hawaii!

Actually my MINI had more of an adventure than you might realize! I initially ordered my MINI in June but when it got to Port Hueneme in Aug. it was declared damaged beyond 3% of value so I couldn't buy it.
MINIHawaii worked with me to try to find another one locally or on the west coast that fit my desires but there wasn't one available. (Laser Blue w/ white bonnet stripes, Xenon, bluetooth/usb opt. & mfsw). Well, since I had waited for 2 months already thinking about what I should have bought, I decided that this is a chance to really go for all my "buyer's remorse" shoulda, coulda options. Ended up ordering a Laser Blue w/ white bonnet stripes along with the sunroof/AC pkg, pacific blue leather seats/colorpkg, Xenon & usb/bluetooth opt. Price was a little higher but now I have no regrets about what I coulda had!
MINIHawaii was really gracious to accommodate me and made my order the first 2010 in Hawaii!
Robert in MINIHawaii is my man!
4 months of waiting but well worth it!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Here are a couple more good videos showing how they build a MINI - too bad I didn't find them sooner. The second link duplicates part of the first one, but still has some neat shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5kr...1&feature=fvwp

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy8OdRggFzQ&feature=related

And then, here are a couple links to a production line that made the classic Mini. No robots there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTDCOQB-rg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3jcIBPmYpY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxbU...eature=related

There are other MINI videos you can watch at those sites.

Enjoy!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Here are a couple more good videos showing how they build a MINI - too bad I didn't find them sooner. The second link duplicates part of the first one, but still has some neat shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5kr...1&feature=fvwp

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy8OdRggFzQ&feature=related

And then, here are a couple links to a production line that made the classic Mini. No robots there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTDCOQB-rg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3jcIBPmYpY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxbU...eature=related

There are other MINI videos you can watch at those sites.

Enjoy!!!
RayRatt

Thank you for sharing those videos with us. The new production video shows them making the current model while the one in the Owner's Lounge shows them making the 1st gen models.

On those two old-school videos, I can't believe they made Minis with just that one central round display.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:20 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Actually my MINI had more of an adventure than you might realize! I initially ordered my MINI in June but when it got to Port Hueneme in Aug. it was declared damaged beyond 3% of value so I couldn't buy it.
MINIHawaii worked with me to try to find another one locally or on the west coast that fit my desires but there wasn't one available. (Laser Blue w/ white bonnet stripes, Xenon, bluetooth/usb opt. & mfsw). Well, since I had waited for 2 months already thinking about what I should have bought, I decided that this is a chance to really go for all my "buyer's remorse" shoulda, coulda options. Ended up ordering a Laser Blue w/ white bonnet stripes along with the sunroof/AC pkg, pacific blue leather seats/colorpkg, Xenon & usb/bluetooth opt. Price was a little higher but now I have no regrets about what I coulda had!
MINIHawaii was really gracious to accommodate me and made my order the first 2010 in Hawaii!
Ouch 4 months.

Does your 2010 sunroof still come with that mesh covering?

Did you find out how your car was shipped to Hawaii from Port Hueneme? Did they put it in a cargo container? Did it come on a car carrier ship?

By the way, Laser Blue is an awesome color!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 PM
ZugginAround
3rd Gear
Holy Cow!

Though I am jealous of your 'shoulda coulda' opportunity I'm sorry you went through that. Have fun out there and post some pics!

Quick Reply: Week 34 (8/17-8/23/2009) Support Group