1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the dealership today and...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM
tmelsh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the dealership today and...

Well.. I didn't buy a MINI, but I got to test drive a manual MC. It was surprisingly easy to use (though I did stall an embarassing number of times...it was my 2nd time ever driving a stick! (Though I ride motorcycles)).

Since I am learning manual, I think I have pretty much settled on purchasing a normal MINI. I like the bump in gas mileage and feel that I do not drive aggressively enough to really appreciate the added horse power of the S. This is going to be my main commuter car.

Besides... if I ever feel I really need the extra horsies I could always trade in the JAC. =D

Old 08-13-2009, 01:02 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris also have a small very bump in gas mileage. And probably much cheaper too. Smart car is nice too

Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
mrzeld
1st Gear
if you stall alot, make sure the sport button is ON. it adjusts the throttle mapping and makes the car much easier to drive in the city.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM
tmelsh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris also have a small very bump in gas mileage. And probably much cheaper too. Smart car is nice too
I really don't care much for the Yaris (my Mom has an Echo and I was not that impressed). The Fit on the other hand was my other choice for a car...along with the Kia Soul (which I haven't really had the chance to check out yet). Still... I LOVE the MINI. I don't think I would be happier with any other car. The MINI is the car for me, even if it is a tad more expensive.

if you stall alot, make sure the sport button is ON. it adjusts the throttle mapping and makes the car much easier to drive in the city.

I never tried that. After the test drive, I asked about the sports mode and the dealer said that with it on the throttle was more sensitive and thus more touchy and easier to stall.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Danae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tmelsh
I never tried that. After the test drive, I asked about the sports mode and the dealer said that with it on the throttle was more sensitive and thus more touchy and easier to stall.
Interesting. I took a couple of test drives today and my MA basically said the opposite: that the Sport button shortened the throttle response time, making it easier to get going and less likely to stall. He also said that it tightens up the steering. On test driving it both with and without Sport mode, I'd have to say I agree on all counts. It really does make it easier to get into gear, and the difference in steering is instantly apparent.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 AM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes there are slightly larger, less expensive cars with similar MPG, but the MINI just seems to have them outclassed IMHO.

I test drove a VW Rabbit when we were shopping and I stalled that quite a few times, but had no trouble with the MINI. And every car I've owned since 2000 is manual.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 AM
mrzeld
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Danae
Interesting. I took a couple of test drives today and my MA basically said the opposite: that the Sport button shortened the throttle response time, making it easier to get going and less likely to stall. He also said that it tightens up the steering. On test driving it both with and without Sport mode, I'd have to say I agree on all counts. It really does make it easier to get into gear, and the difference in steering is instantly apparent.
with the sport mode on, you have to press the throttle less to get more oomph. so if you are used to driving a stick, the ON mode is more like other cars. in the OFF mode, you have to press the throttle in a lot more to get the same amount of gas (hence the stalling).

but... with the sport mode ON, the steering is too twichty (for me at least) driving down the highway at 80. so i have to turn it ON in the city (for the increased throttle response), and OFF on the highway (for the decreased steering response). so i do a lot of button pressing on my 100 mile drive to work.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tmelsh
Well.. I didn't buy a MINI, but I got to test drive a manual MC. It was surprisingly easy to use (though I did stall an embarassing number of times...it was my 2nd time ever driving a stick! (Though I ride motorcycles)).

Since I am learning manual, I think I have pretty much settled on purchasing a normal MINI. I like the bump in gas mileage and feel that I do not drive aggressively enough to really appreciate the added horse power of the S. This is going to be my main commuter car.

Besides... if I ever feel I really need the extra horsies I could always trade in the JAC. =D
The regular MINI -sometimes called a Justa Cooper - is certainly no slouch -particularly with the manual transmission. While the S is capable of gas mileage close to the regular MINI it is almost impossible for me to keep my foot out of it and if you use the extra HP - you feed the extra HP.

I have seen a post here somewhere where someone that had had both a regular MINI and an S posted that the actual gas mileage on the S with this owner was about 6 mpg less - so if you don't miss the extra power of the S a regular MINI will certainly be easier on gas.

Good luck!!! And I agree - there are numerous small, efficient cars out there but the MINI driving experience is uniquely MINI!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What appeals to me most about the mini is that while it's a small car with good mpg, it's not a cheap junky econobox. It's a car you can tell they really put some effort into, with good, solid construction, refined powertrain and of course brilliant handling.