1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market alarms vs Factory alarms

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 AM
pepelpew
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After market alarms vs Factory alarms

From the post I've read, most mini owners prefer the factory alarm system. In my area the factory alarm is rather pricey. The dealer wants 480 installed or I can buy the alarm myself for 225 and pay another 190 to activate it after I install it myself. Still too much IMO.

All I'm after is a basic alarm as a deterant to breakins. I don't want to go the alarm "simulator" route either.

Viper sell a nice factory upgrade alarm that works with the factory keyfob. I can purchase this for 250 installed from a local alarm dealer with a good reputation.

Also, I found an inexpensive factory upgrade alarm(called commando, I think) that I could install myself for around 60 bucks.

Does anyone have any experience with some of these factory upgrade alarms for the mini? I'm kinda leaning toward the viper because they have an excellent reputation but I would appreciate some feedback from experienced mini owners. I'm a little leary about installing it myself, although I have installed alarms before and have heard its pretty easy in the mini.