1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Baby is Critically Injured

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New Baby is Critically Injured

I took Schroeder for is very first road trip (5.5 hours). I my way home today approximately 3:00 pm a woman driving and SUV pulled out in front of me. I tried very hard to avoid her. I hit her passenger front quarter panel. If I hadn't swerved I would have T-boned he square in the passenger door. Driver side, front and side of the mini is toast. The air bags didn't deploy on either of our vehicles. Neither driver seemed to be injured, which is a good thing. Both vehicles left on a wrecker.
My Mini is having his one month anniversary tomorrow. Less than 2000 miles on it. I'm sick.

After the impact. It sounded like I had a runaway motor. I hit my Stop button as quick as possible. Besides from the obvious body damage, I'm really concerned about frame, motor, turbo etc... Plus I wasn't real encouraged when the tow truck had to drag on to the platform.

I had to abandon my mini in a strange town, inured and alone. The rescue worker gave me a lift to the airport so I could a car to get home. 3.5 hours I'm home, crying about my favorite toy. Thanks for letting me whine.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I'm so sorry that happened!

I'm glad you are okay!! Hopefully your insurance will help in getting another MINI (if it's totaled). Sending you a hug and wishing you all the best!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, no!! I'm glad that you are at least okay and that no one was injured. Hopefully all will be well with your car. Wishing you a quick and happy reunion.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 PM
mcoe
Neutral
You did your best. I hope things work out for you and your baby!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:59 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
Tomorrow will be a new day. I will start making my calls and get my docmentation together. Hopefully they can get an adjuster to look at it tommorrow.

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Cash for Clunkers..........

It's a case where "cash for clunkers" failed to remove your particular problem off the roadway. Glad no one was injured but I would say the front 1/4 panel of any vehicle is the hardest area to hit from that angle as about 65 % of any vehicles weight is there such as engine/drivetrain/wheels/hubs ect, but swerving away from the vehicle in that fashion is a natural reaction.

From reading your post though, and sorry to say but IMO the MINI is probably toast....sorry for your loss......

Originally Posted by YAMA CAT
I took Schroeder for is very first road trip (5.5 hours). I my way home today approximately 3:00 pm a woman driving and SUV pulled out in front of me. I tried very hard to avoid her. I hit her passenger front quarter panel. If I hadn't swerved I would have T-boned he square in the passenger door. Driver side, front and side of the mini is toast. The air bags didn't deploy on either of our vehicles. Neither driver seemed to be injured, which is a good thing. Both vehicles left on a wrecker.
My Mini is having his one month anniversary tomorrow. Less than 2000 miles on it. I'm sick.

After the impact. It sounded like I had a runaway motor. I hit my Stop button as quick as possible. Besides from the obvious body damage, I'm really concerned about frame, motor, turbo etc... Plus I wasn't real encouraged when the tow truck had to drag on to the platform.

I had to abandon my mini in a strange town, inured and alone. The rescue worker gave me a lift to the airport so I could a car to get home. 3.5 hours I'm home, crying about my favorite toy. Thanks for letting me whine.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Tough luck - hope it can be fixed without too many issues.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Glad to hear YAMA CAT that no one was injured and everyone is OK.

Everyone that is except for your MINI... so sorry.

Here's hoping that everything works out for the best!

Good luck to you!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
markusw
3rd Gear
I hope your baby gets well.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
On a good note...I am glad to hear you are ok!!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you are OK and sorry that your Mini is not. I suspect it will be totalled. When I totalled my first Mini, I was very sad but it all worked out and I actually obtained a newer and better Mini for just a few more $.

However, I had to work hard with the insurance adjuster to obtain the proper value for my totalled Mini because they had a difficult time determining the proper replacement value based on options, aftermarket parts, and local selling prices. Since your Mini is so new, maybe it will not be a problem. I You might want to determine what you think is the proper replacement price so you can compare to what the insurance company offers. If their offer is too low, do not accept and counter with what you think is appropriate with good justification.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
sorry abt ur accidnet and glad u r ok.... keep us posted

if ur mini is total, some parts maybe used on other MINI... passing it on

Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM
diffuser1977
1st Gear
YAMA Cat, I hope everything goes well. I was just in an accident myself, My 09 MINI (only 5 months old) unfortunately it did not make it, and we thought the damage was repairable, but the insurance company claimed it "totaled". We had some frame damage in the front, the motor was bent out of shape too, my wife, dog and I were in the wreck, and no one was seriously injured. We have moved on and are waiting for a new MCS 2010 and should have it by mid November.

Here if a picture of my old mini "RIP".

Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
I suspect the Mini is toast too.

Today I did my first round with my insurance company. They told me I needed to pick the repair shop of my choice, so they could get an adjuster to look at it. The catch was it had to be a shop in the Dothan Area which is A. 4 hours away and B. Has No Repair Shop that has ever seen a Mini.
They told me if I wanted the Mini repaired by my local dealer. I would have to pay the tow charges out of pocket.
I explained to them that I would not except anything but New OEM parts, and only repairs by an authorized dealer. I told them it was a New 09' MCS, purchased Aug 21, 09 with less than 2,000 miles.
Mini Roadside Assistance saved the day. They have arranged for my hurt baby to be delivered to my dealer tomorrow at no cost to me or my insurance.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of the damaged and post them for your in put.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
Here are some ratty before pictures. I was planning taking better picture when I came home.

Attached Thumbnails My New Baby is Critically Injured-minimew-001.jpg   My New Baby is Critically Injured-minimew-007.jpg   My New Baby is Critically Injured-minimew-011.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by diffuser1977
YAMA Cat, I hope everything goes well. I was just in an accident myself, My 09 MINI (only 5 months old) unfortunately it did not make it, and we thought the damage was repairable, but the insurance company claimed it "totaled". We had some frame damage in the front, the motor was bent out of shape too, my wife, dog and I were in the wreck, and no one was seriously injured. We have moved on and are waiting for a new MCS 2010 and should have it by mid November.

Here if a picture of my old mini "RIP".
Sorry for your loss. Your picture gives me hope. If they totalled yours they possibly will total mine.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Glad you remembered MINI Roadside Assistance. I was almost shouting at the screen before I got to the 'Whew!'

I love the look of a Pepper White/Black MINI. Am sure yours will get well one way or another.

Sorry about the mess.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
Here are his injury photos.

Poor little fella. He only has 1643 miles on him. The adjuster will look at him tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails My New Baby is Critically Injured-mini-wreck-005.jpg   My New Baby is Critically Injured-mini-wreck-006.jpg   My New Baby is Critically Injured-mini-wreck-007.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear

Attached Thumbnails My New Baby is Critically Injured-mini-wreck-010.jpg   My New Baby is Critically Injured-mini-wreck-003.jpg   My New Baby is Critically Injured-mini-wreck-014.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Man, that's enough to put you off breakfast. This, too, shall pass. But it ain't fun while it's going. Sorry.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Ouch.

Hoping it all works out for ya!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:56 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Hey, YAMA CAT - the pictures make me want to cry....but it's yet again another example of a MINI giving it's life to save a driver's. It happens more often than I care to think about, but...

Anyway, I'm glad you posted photos. I know it sounds a little weird, but I collect photos and info of MINI damages like this - at work I get SOOOO many people asking me about the safety of the MINI, it's often more effective to SHOW them. Once you settle with your insurance company and everything is closed out, can you tell us speeds, directions, etc? Don't do it now - online stuff can always be used as evidence - but once everything is closed out?

Again, sympathy at your loss/damage. I hope everything works out for the best for you! And Schroeder.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Gerarddm
2nd Gear
Glad you are OK, but what's with your airbag not deploying?! What's with that, MINI?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM
WJHMH
3rd Gear
I can't stand SUV drivers, try living in North Texas. Glad to hear your safe & hope you get everything sorted out.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
YAMA CAT
2nd Gear
Nothing new. The adjuster is scheduled for tomorrow or Friday. I was originally told today. I feel like I'm getting the run around.

Quick Reply: My New Baby is Critically Injured