1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did first test drive, whoooo! One problem......

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:41 AM
Triumphguy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did first test drive, whoooo! One problem......

OK, did the test drive and it was a hoot, the MC was great but I'm going to try to find an S, amazing fun!

However, my wife was less than thrilled. She doesn't think it's a car for a 54 year old man and what will people think? Frankly, I could care less what people think, it's my car.

My question is, anyone else have a spouse who's not in the Mini camp and did that change over time? I doubt this will keep me from getting the car but I'd like to avoid marital discord!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 AM
smieska
3rd Gear
Go for it

I bought my first Mini R50 at 56 with some reluctancy for my wife. I have always wanted a Morris Minor and this was as close as I could get and still have a comfort level on a road trip. We have had it for 6 months and taken several 600 to 2000 mile road trips. She has come over to my way of thinking since driving it more than a test drive. We are in agreement that the Mini is more comfortable than her Subaru Outback on a long trip. We recently drove from Omaha to the Smokey Mtns straight thru and never had any discomfort from that long a trip. Mine is just another toy in the garage but we have already gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. I would say "Go for it" and she will come around and you will probably end up fighting for the keys after a short time. Good luck

Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it.

Tell her it's either the MINI or...a Ferrari.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 PM
flyby
2nd Gear
I'm not 50 but pretty close. Sold my BMW convert to buy one and my wife still thinks I'm crazy. She hasn't spent much time in a Mini yet so I know it will change her mind once she does. I told her it was either a Mini or a SL550 to get her on-board. IMO the Mini truly bridges the age gap, gender as well for that matter. They are just cool cars.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
bottomfeeder1
2nd Gear
I'm 53 & just got my first MINI, a Dark Silver / White S. My wife drives a Prius, a long way away on the other end of the auto spectrum. Does she like to drive my MINI? Nope. But she's really glad that I LOVE to drive it.

& This way, there's no competition to drive my MINI! That's how it works for us, anyway.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
I think you're right--it's your car and who cares WHAT anyone else thinks? I would be willing to bet the car will put a smile on your (and your wife's) face!

Somewhere, there's a great thread on here about the 'strife' in couples' lives due to the MINI. It was one of the first threads I read on NAM and it cracked me up. I thought I had it saved, but couldn't find it. If you do a search, you and your wife will be laughing out loud!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Triumphguy
OK, did the test drive and it was a hoot, the MC was great but I'm going to try to find an S, amazing fun!

However, my wife was less than thrilled. She doesn't think it's a car for a 54 year old man and what will people think? Frankly, I could care less what people think, it's my car.

My question is, anyone else have a spouse who's not in the Mini camp and did that change over time? I doubt this will keep me from getting the car but I'd like to avoid marital discord!
Boy, does this sound familar. I too, am an 54 year old man and I don't give a rats a** what people think. My wife was horrified that I sold my 323 BMW convertible to buy a 2009 MCS convertible that I ordered and took delivery of in June. My wife now likes the MINI and we take it everywhere.

I walk out in the garage and I can take the BMW 530 or the MINI and I take the MINI 95% of the time.

I was worried that the thrill would wear off - but it most assuredly has not. I was worried that I would miss the refinement of the 3 series BMW but the MINI is so darn much fun and is so responsive at any speed in any gear (I have the manual) that it is simply a blast to drive.

I wondered how it would feel on the interstate with semis all around and I found that it actually feels as stable as my 3 series and if you are not careful you will find that you are going MUCH faster than you think you are on the interstate.

And yes, I was worried about what people would think - particularly with me having a convertible (ramps up the chick car comments) . I can assure you that people that know anything about sports cars know that the MINI is a great sports car - particularly the S (which I highly recommend).

Those that doubted became converts pretty quickly after that first ride or better yet, their first drive. The first thing almost everyone says; "Wow, there is a lot more room in this thing than I thought". The second thing they say is "I had no idea that these cars had so much power".

Worry not - the MINI shows it's BMW roots with every drive. I have never had as much fun with a car! Go for it!! My wife is amazed that I am still as enthused as I am but she is happy that I enjoy it.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:31 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Triumphguy
However, my wife was less than thrilled. She doesn't think it's a car for a 54 year old man and what will people think?
My dad purchased his MC 5 spd at age 70 and is loving it!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
She makes me smile.

I refuse to reveal my age, but let's just say that I am on the other side of the mountain, ha ha. My Dad who is in his 80's was not too thrilled when I told him I was selling my BMW 325e to get a convertible MINI Cooper. He is now impressed by how solid it is and how well made it is. He did have to admit that I had a very logical reason for getting the convertible. I told him that since I keep my cars for so long, the convertible will make it easier for me to load my walker when I get to that stage!

My younger sister, but not by much, also bought a MINI. Age does not matter when you lose your heart to a cool set of wheels. My MINI just makes me smile.

Last edited by Kikimowse; 03-24-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Explain to her that its really a time machine. The faster you drive it the younger you will feel.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:36 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MaxGSeeker
Explain to her that its really a time machine. The faster you drive it the younger you will feel.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Well obviously you aren't too old. When I was 57 I bought a new 1994 Camaro. I got a few raised eyebrows but a lot more stares of pure envy. So at 72 with a new MINI do I worry? Hell no.

Did the wife object? Oh yeah, long and loud even threats of domestic violence if I persisted in this folly. However on the second day after taking delivery I got up late, glanced out the kitchen window, to see the wife washing the MINI. It "looked a little dirty" she said. In 30 years of marriage this was the first time I ever saw her wash a car!! Plus she has now given it a name.

While every case is different, I would say go for it

Ben

Old 10-04-2009, 03:37 AM
raybsc
Neutral
Hello,
Don't let someone ,including your wife tell you you're too old for a Mini. I'm a little older at 59 and have had 2 Mini's. 1st a Cooper and now a MCS. Have noticed a lot of people from younger to older driving Mini's around where I live in S.C. They are a "blast" to drive.
Regards,
Ray

Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've seen some good second-hand spouses at CarMax. Maybe time to trade-up.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 AM
cmbtmini
2nd Gear
life is too short to worry about crap like this...get the MINI and motor on, dude

Old 10-04-2009, 05:20 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i bought my MINI last year when i was 62. Luckily my wife was very supportive of the decision.

one of the nicest things i have discovered about aging is that i care less about what anyone thinks - it's very liberating

i have owned some wonderful cars over the years; a 73 beetle for 10 years, an '86 RX-7 for 7 years, a 325is for 12 years and 170k miles, a 2001 Boxster for 2 years, and my MINI for 1 year now.

Of all the above, the MINI is the most fun to drive. And i don't obsess about it the way i did my Boxster. If it gets a stone chip or a little dirty, that's OK. I'm just driving it and enjoying it (i do wash and wax it - i just don't obsess ).

My wife and i have taken several long trips (NJ to VT) in the MINI and it is very comfortable. She loves the car.

i think you will both be happy with the car.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
bought our first mini at 60 years old (last year). Just got a new Cabrio and it is now my wife's daily driver. If the weather permits she comes home from her 3 mile commute with the top down. (top of the car that is). We both love the car.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Triumphguy
1st Gear
What great replies! It's really nice to hear I am not along. In my wife's defense I have two Triumph motorcycles (which she hates) and am returning my Hummer at the end of it's lease.

I have a 1971 911 T awaiting restoration and driving the Mini reminded of it a lot. Small, solid, nice pep but not overkill. The car was fun and sometimes there are days that can use some fun.
If the Chili Red S is still there I think she's have something new to complain about!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 36 and I own a small company that deals with a lot of big clients. I was kind of scared about what they would think.

However after having the car for a month, I can say with absolute certainty, that every one of them loves the car and thinks it totally appropriate for my personality.

My accountant said: "This car is so much more you than your Mazda3."

A friend/financial planner said: "I'd look totally gay in this car but you pull it off as a straight guy with great taste." (um, ok)

and dozens of other people have simply professed their love for the Mini and everything it exudes.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Let your wife drive the car. I would not be surprised at all if before long you are a family of two MINIs. I have seen it happen numerous times. They are just great cars and loads of fun. Get involved in a MINI club and participate in the road rallys. Fun adventures and you get to meet some really super people. Keep us posted as to the outcome.

I had a Triumph Spitfire in 1979. I loved that car but it constantly fell apart. MINI handles like the Spitfire but is certainly more reliable! I loved that Spitfire but not as much as I love my MINI.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
dogdal24
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
Let your wife drive the car. I would not be surprised at all if before long you are a family of two MINIs. I have seen it happen numerous times. They are just great cars and loads of fun. Get involved in a MINI club and participate in the road rallys. Fun adventures and you get to meet some really super people. Keep us posted as to the outcome.

I had a Triumph Spitfire in 1979. I loved that car but it constantly fell apart. MINI handles like the Spitfire but is certainly more reliable! I loved that Spitfire but not as much as I love my MINI.
How true! I took delivery of my MCS in 05. And had the wife talked into hers in 07! She has a 07 MCS and loves it so much she would never turn back. In fact she would not look a anything new thats not a MINI! And she now has started doing autocross! WHO IS THIS WOMAN??

Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
61 in about 2 months, 5 weeks into JCW Clubman ownership, 300 miles to go to complete the break in...

Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First Facebook... and now all you old people are ruining MINIs, too.

I'm counting on mine keeping me young-ish for a long, long time.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 AM
bumbles44
1st Gear
#1) you want it, get it...you'll be glad you did. #2) let her drive it for a while, she'll change her tune.

Quick Reply: Did first test drive, whoooo! One problem......