1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what DON'T I want?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Jeep-Power
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what DON'T I want?

Hello folks-

This is one HUGE forum!

As you may have guessed, I am Jeep guy. I've owned three vehicles my entire 'driving life' of 20+ years-- they are all Jeeps-- two CJ's and now a 4 door JK. I still have all of them. I am currently daily-driving the '62 CJ-5 while my '84 CJ is getting a new frame & 1 ton drivetrain. The JK is my wife's daily driver.

I have admired the (current) Mini Coopers since they first came out. They never fail to catch my eye. The opportunity to finally have one of my own has surfaced.

First-- I have about a 10K budget.

Second-- I have every intention of getting a used Mini Cooper

Three -- I have never owned anything mechanical and NOT modified it. I am very certain that this Mini will follow suit. (Here's the CJ build)

My exposure to Jeeps has taught me that there are some years to avoid-- IE- weak drivetrain parts, etc. There are also highly desireable models and years to look for. I'm thinking that there are the same with Mini Coopers.

I did a bit of searching & didn't find anything on this topic that jumped out at me.

Please make your suggestions, call me a weenie for not searching hard enough, or share some links on the 10,000 people that have already asked this question.

thanks-- Peter

Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
You don't want a CVT transmission.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by STLMINI
You don't want a CVT transmission.
That means NO MINI Cooper automatics, but MINI Cooper S (superchaged) automatic is OK. I'd prefer 05-06 MINI Cooper S with 6 speed they are more "reliable" and faster. Also, one with LSD option would be nice but its like finding a unicorn, unless its a MCS JCW.
Here is a guide to help you out:
http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Jeep-Power
Neutral
Thanks for the replys folks....

this is bad news for my wife-- as she will not drive a manual trans ( I've tried, believe me, to change her mind). Automatic trans will make life alot easier for us. (and let me drive the JK more often )

HowSoon-- from that link you posted-- the 2005 & on are the best choice in autos.

What's the story with the pre-'05 automatics, once they have been 'repaired'. Are they simply fixed with the original 'weak' parts, or is there an upgraded/improved design that is used?

Of course I want to spens as little as possible. After doing somoe shopping, it seems $10K is a bit wishful. $15K is more like it, no?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually 'howsoonissnow.' No CVTs means no 2002-2006 MINI Cooper automatics. 2007+ Cooper automatics don't have CVT transmissions. Though, 07/08 models are probably out of the OPs price range of sub-$10k

Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Jeep-Power
Neutral
Found this discussion

So there was a body style change between '04 & '05, correct?

Again-- with these trouble-prone CVT's, is the 'fix' an improvement-- so the trouble doesn't happen again, or is it simply replacing the original trouble-prone parts?

Another issue that concerns me is the price and availability of replacement parts. I'm spoiled with the Jeeps-- I can get almost anything (even for the '62) at the local NAPA. They might have to order it, and thus I have to wait a day or two, but they can get it. Is there a place to get parts for a Mini Cooper other than the 'stealership'?

going back into searching around here...

Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeep-Power
with these trouble-prone CVT's, is the 'fix' an improvement-- so the trouble doesn't happen again, or is it simply replacing the original trouble-prone parts?
I wouldn't call the CVT trouble-prone but I would call it disasterous when it fails. I think we hear more about it because it costs so much to replace. I don't think we hear about it any more than any other failure. It would be interesting to see how many of these actually fail as a percentage compared to other MINI failures.

And to answer your question, apparently there's no repair when the CVT fails just replacement at around $7k.

Also, since the fix is only a replacement I wouldn't think it's any better than the original. If you do end up looking at one, demand that i has had the transmission fluid changed every 25k - 35k miles.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Thanks for the replys folks....
HowSoon-- from that link you posted-- the 2005 & on are the best choice in autos. What's the story with the pre-'05 automatics, once they have been 'repaired'. Are they simply fixed with the original 'weak' parts, or is there an upgraded/improved design that is used? Of course I want to spend as little as possible. After doing some shopping, it seems $10K is a bit wishful. $15K is more like it, no?
Jeep based on this:
Hello folks-
First-- I have about a 10K budget.
Second-- I have every intention of getting a used Mini Cooper. thanks-Peter
I assumed you want a (2002-2006/7) R50/53, right? If so let me try to clarify.
The R50 MINI Cooper the car with NO supercharger, the "justa" Cooper (R50) has a CVT "auto" that is prone to go bad. And yes replacement parts need to be bought from dealer and the cost is $7,000 average for the same parts that went bad. The ZF ecoTronic VT1F gearbox is used in all years of MINI Cooper R50, so no year is really good. (to answer your question)

For 2005 the R53 MINI Cooper S (Supercharged) got an automatic that has a traditional torque converter style autobox, that does not share the problems the R50 MINI Cooper's CVT has. The MINI Cooper S (R53) has a Aisin 6-speed automatic gearbox. The MINI Cooper S Auto is only built from 05 on.

As far as your link:Is an '05 MCS improved that much over an '04?
The R53 2004 MCS "auto" does not exsist, the MCS "auto" did not come out until 2005. But other than that some of the improvements include better gearing for 6 speed manaul transmission, optional LSD, power steering design, lighter harmonic balancer/dampener, fan relay, some lighting stuff, and other stuff. NO body style changes, though. Anyway, sorry for long post, just wanted to clarify, so that others would not misunderstand which model we are talking about.

So, I would suggest a 05-06 MINI Cooper S (R53) Auto.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Jeep-Power
Neutral
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Jeep based on this:

I assumed you want a (2002-2006/7) R50/53, right? If so let me try to clarify.
The R50 MINI Cooper the car with NO supercharger, the "justa" Cooper (R50) has a CVT "auto" that is prone to go bad. And yes replacement parts need to be bought from dealer and the cost is $7,000 average for the same parts that went bad. The ZF ecoTronic VT1F gearbox is used in all years of MINI Cooper R50, so no year is really good. (to answer your question)

For 2005 the R53 MINI Cooper S (Supercharged) got an automatic that has a traditional torque converter style autobox, that does not share the problems the R50 MINI Cooper's CVT has. The MINI Cooper S (R53) has a Aisin 6-speed automatic gearbox. The MINI Cooper S Auto is only built from 05 on.

....sorry for long post, just wanted to clarify, so that others would not misunderstand which model we are talking about.

So, I would suggest a 05-06 MINI Cooper S (R53) Auto.

HowSoon-- no need to apologize-- this is what I'm looking for!!!!

All I know about Minis is what I see as they go by. I know nothing about the workings of them--- the subtle differences between models & years & such.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 PM
pokie1313
Neutral
warning: thread hijack!

1. Did all auto minis get a 6 speed automatic starting in the 2007 model year?
  2. If so, how does it compare to the Aisin available in the S models starting in 2005?
  3. Where you can find detailed information on model/package options and standard equipment for each model year?
I've driven a 2008 MCa (my mom's!) and IMHO all automatics should be similarly controllable by the driver, through paddles &/or the stick.
It's a blast to slide it into manual when you're coming up on a sharp turn. After you merge onto the "freeway", you slide it back over to D.
D is for Drudgery.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:53 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Not to sure about 2007 on, maybe motorngfile.com too.
But for R50/53: http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

And for details Bentley