1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FNG

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fng

Greetings. I come to you with a heavy heart.

I came to this site looking for info. While I would like to do some mods to the car, I have other things to deal with first (although this may actually be a primo time to get started...).

My first search was to get ideas on detailing, primarily leather care. I haven't owned anything leather, so this is a new experience for me. In doing so, I was taken to the following outstanding thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ve-to-see.html

The funny thing is, that car holds nothing compared to what I ended up with. I can't describe what happened to the car the year I was in Iraq. It is horrendous. I finally rescued it from the clutches of my ex-wife, and now I have a decent project on my hands.

WARNING!!!!

The following pictures are not for the weak. Proceed with caution and I hope you have a strong stomach for what you are about to see.

Click at your own risk.

2005 MINI Cooper S
(host removed pics)

Once the detailing is done, I will be much more happy about this car. Then I need to find a lift to check out the underside. There will be more pics uploaded at a later time. These pics were just for the attorney and insurance company...

Thanks for the ear. The fun begins tomorrow now that some of the seats are out.

Last edited by unclaimed; 11-27-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I see now why she is your ex-wife.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoa dude you got your work cut out, So sorry, BTW thank you for your service.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
SlowGSX98
3rd Gear

My front bumper/hood trim pieces also dont line up on the drivers side similar to yours, but mine isnt as bad. Good luck with cleaning it up

Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Damn that sucks, looks like Cujo got loose in there! Hope things get better, which I'm sure they will. That one picture of damage to the rear bumper looks like it was rear-ended, and the other guys LP bolts drug across the top of the bumper to the hatch.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM
chiorozco
1st Gear
wow

Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I would say you have some work to get done, but the bright side is you have it back and alot can be fixed with a good detail.

Good luck and send us the after you are done pictures

Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 AM
MirthScout
3rd Gear
Wow.

It'll look a lot better with a good detailing but it looks like it needs a visit to a body shop. New brake pads, rotors and fluid. With that level of neglect I'd suspect it needs an oil change and all new filters too.

That fluid leak looks like the oil from the motor mount. Very common problem and probably not due to the neglect. They just fail. The next time mine fails I'm going to replace it with the new TSW urethane one ( http://www.txwerks.com/servlet/Categ...%3AMotor+Mount ).

Post pictures of the restoration work.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
That fluid leak is coming from the upper motor mount. It's shot and will stain the paint. Try using rubbing alcohol to remove and good luck with the detail--

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Thanks for the support and tips. So far I've got about 4 hours into it. I felt like I was back it basic training with the shopvac and a small brush (plastic brush and wire bristle brush). The carpets are finally ready to be cleaned with a shampooer. Well, the front passenger area is hard as a rock. Hopefully the carpet cleaner will help get that taken care of. Hopefully that will also get the smell of dog and human urine out (her kid must have pee'd his pants in the back, the dog in the front...).

Next up on the list will be plastic and glass cleaning. After that I will get out the carpet cleaner. I have some pics, but probably will not upload them until later (maybe Monday, who knows). I am fairly happy with how things are turning out so far. I know I can't expect a miracle, but the closer to "new" I can get it, the happier I'll be.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:07 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Ugh you are really taking on a chore, good luck, be interested in seeing finished product.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Those images are like looking at those animal rescue commercials were the dogs and cats eyes are glazed over, their ribs sticking out, etc. How could anyone do this to a MINI let alone any vehicle?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
itsminibtch
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
wow! i dont think i could do that much damage in a year even if i tried. make sure and show us some after pictures!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
If the interior/exterior is that bad, I'd be very concerned about the engine/transmission.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Well, at least I am not as embarrassed about the MINI now. Once I get the center console cleaned up, I will feel a heck of a lot better. I hope the trunk sealed enough to keep the rain out today!

Some progress pics are here: (host removed pics)

Anyone in the South Bay know of any good shops to take this to when it is time to get the engine checked out? I can do minor maintenance, but I definitely want the pros to look this one over. The little bit I drove it, things felt and sounded good. It seemed to idle a little rough at one point. My only concern at the time of driving it was that she may have used the wrong octane fuel.

Last edited by unclaimed; 11-27-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
04Mini-S
2nd Gear
Wow, you have done a great job so far . I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. I have to say, I would've been LIVID . Keep it up!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Much improved from where you started, as for the plastic there are people who can repair the plastic, Dr Vinyl is one of them, I dont know about your area but I know the one in San Diego...

Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Thanks docv, I will look around for some place like that up here. More pics are up (host removed pics))! The seats are back in. The interior is about as clean as I am going to get it without removing plastic pieces. I will look into that at a later date.

Thanks for the support everyone! Once I do a brake job, she'll be back on the road again. Woohoo!

Last edited by unclaimed; 11-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 PM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Well, it's been a long time coming... Lotsa stuff going on keeping me from being able to do anything to the car, but it is finally fixed.

The outside looks brand new now. The inside looks pretty damn good considering what happened to it. Now it is all about maintenance and maybe a cheap mod here and there (I can't lie, there are other more expensive mods I would like to do in the future).

Anyways, not that anyone really cares, but here is the final product. I am happy to be driving a good looking car again, at least one I can have pride in now. Unfortunately I can't find any of the "before" pics.

Attached Thumbnails FNG-mini-front1.jpg   FNG-mini-rear1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why were are the earlier pictures removed???

Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 AM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Long story short: My VP wasn't too thrilled "his" web server was hosting my personal pics. It's ok for others to host personal pics and videos, but not me.

I will try and find the pics and use photobucket or something.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Yes do that I would like to see the carnage.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Ok, found some...

Things that got fixed:

Front bumper and mounts
Windshield (but I took another rock, so that has a crack now...)
Hood, scoop, and grille
Driver side headlight, parking light and fog light replaced
Rear cross member, bumper, hatch, window, tail lights and left quarter panel

Pics don't show all the damage. The entire inside of the car looked like what you see in the center console pic. It was pretty bad. I believe earlier posts gave some descriptions. Originally there were more pics posted, but I think you get the idea...

Attached Thumbnails FNG-center-console.jpg   FNG-pass-front-bumper.jpg   FNG-rear-end.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
unclaimed
1st Gear
Here is an example of the inside after I got done with it.

I am glad I have a rear hatch I can use without pulling the cord under the rear seats and hope the latch actually catches and hold the door shut!

Attached Thumbnails FNG-clean-pass-floor.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by unclaimed
Ok, found some...

Things that got fixed:

Front bumper and mounts
Windshield (but I took another rock, so that has a crack now...)
Hood, scoop, and grille
Driver side headlight, parking light and fog light replaced
Rear cross member, bumper, hatch, window, tail lights and left quarter panel

Pics don't show all the damage. The entire inside of the car looked like what you see in the center console pic. It was pretty bad. I believe earlier posts gave some descriptions. Originally there were more pics posted, but I think you get the idea...
Holy smokes your not a kidding are you? Looks pretty pathetic. I'm glad you rescued the poor car. I can't believe the way some people treat their belongings.

Quick Reply: FNG