1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking in to see what the Mini is all about!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 PM
JRide6
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking in to see what the Mini is all about!

Hey everyone! Just here to do some research on the Mini. I've been lurking around for about a week now so I figured I'd introduce myself. The Mini would be for my wife. She currently drives a Acura TSX which she loves so the Mini isn't a definite....yet. The TSX isn't a performance car but its a fun car to drive.

We took a ride down to the local Mini dealer to take one for a test drive. I have to say I was really impressed with the Mini. That car was a blast to drive! We've built a couple of different configurations and we're still undecided on the JCW kit. I'd love to get the JCW edition but its a little steep with the options we want.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, and happy reading! You'll find some great info in here, so feel free to kick around and stay a while.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!

Hope you and your wife add a MINI to the family!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would avoid the latest generation cars. Much less driver feedback and scary engine reliability issues. Try to find a used 2005-2006 factory JCW car. You'll spend a lot less and end up with a much better car. If you really want a new car, I would check out the 2010 VW GTI. Great driver's car and huge value relative to the MINI.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
JRide6
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
I would avoid the latest generation cars. Much less driver feedback and scary engine reliability issues. Try to find a used 2005-2006 factory JCW car. You'll spend a lot less and end up with a much better car. If you really want a new car, I would check out the 2010 VW GTI. Great driver's car and huge value relative to the MINI.
Interesting. 05-06 wouldn't do as we need a Clubman for the extra room. I've been reading about some issues but haven't come across the "scary reliability issues" yet.

I really like the GTI but they don't do it for my wife. I'm taking her to drive one tomorrow as well as some other cars so we'll see how she likes them.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
wandrur
JRide, keep in mind that you'll find both glorifying and denigrating comments on this forum, and you'll find quite a bit of both. Read around and get some good, broad knowledge of people's experiences. Specifically check out the current era Clubman section and read about experiences there. I'm sure you'll find adequate information for making your decisions.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM
JRide6
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
JRide, keep in mind that you'll find both glorifying and denigrating comments on this forum, and you'll find quite a bit of both. Read around and get some good, broad knowledge of people's experiences. Specifically check out the current era Clubman section and read about experiences there. I'm sure you'll find adequate information for making your decisions.
Will do. I'm a member on quite a few forums so I realize you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:48 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JRide6
Interesting. 05-06 wouldn't do as we need a Clubman for the extra room. I've been reading about some issues but haven't come across the "scary reliability issues" yet.

I really like the GTI but they don't do it for my wife. I'm taking her to drive one tomorrow as well as some other cars so we'll see how she likes them.
If you are worried about space, the back seat of the GTI is a LOT more roomy than the Clubman and access on the 5-door is excellent. The GTI is also much more smooth and quiet for highway cruising. I think your lady will like... I'm a manual guy, but the new DSG transmission is pretty amazing and would make me think twice. Definitely check it out.

In terms of issues with the R56, as suggested just search and read up here. Mostly engine related, including a very bad cold start issue. Also melted bonnet scoops and valve covers from excessive turbo heat. I can live with minor fit and finish problems (and MINIs have plenty), but am not comfortable with a buggy drivetrain.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the JCW. You won't regret it

Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Clubman are really getting popular. I was going to hold out for a not-yet-released Countryman so I could have AWD and 4 real doors but I think I'm staying with my Clubman. I'm sure you have seen the passion and the sense of community MINIs brings out of people. Also, configuring a MINI to your exact specifications is another wonderful thing. When you get your baby, it is a creation you brought into being. The wait seems like forever but when he/she arrives, the wait seems like it never happened.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 AM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
If you are worried about space, the back seat of the GTI is a LOT more roomy than the Clubman and access on the 5-door is excellent. The GTI is also much more smooth and quiet for highway cruising. I think your lady will like... I'm a manual guy, but the new DSG transmission is pretty amazing and would make me think twice. Definitely check it out.

In terms of issues with the R56, as suggested just search and read up here. Mostly engine related, including a very bad cold start issue. Also melted bonnet scoops and valve covers from excessive turbo heat. I can live with minor fit and finish problems (and MINIs have plenty), but am not comfortable with a buggy drivetrain.

Good luck!
If you are really concered about those little bugs on the MINI, I'd hate to see your comments after owing a VW. Especially one with DSG.
VW just sent me a letter saying they extending my DSG warranty cause of all the problems that are popping up!

Anyway, to the OP- The MINI is an awesome car. I have no regrets buying mine at all. I'd highly recommend it. There are definiately cars out there that are just as nice (GTI) but not as fun to drive as the MINI. Its a different experience.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:20 AM
JRide6
1st Gear
We're going to drive a couple of cars today just to compare some of the other options. Auto is out of the question. She wants another manual transmission.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Just ain't nothing like a Mini Cooper !!!!!

The Mini Cooper's are in a class by themselves. I don't think you can compare a Mini to any other car out there. They are unique in the looks, handling, and just plain different. If you like them you will love it. If you don't like them you should get something else. There is nothing wrong with the newer Mini's at all. They are larger then the original classic Mini's and now use Turbo's and not Super chargers. The 2003 to 2006 still used superchargers and were good. The 2007's up now use Turbo chargers and are great engines. I'm talking about the "S" here. not the "just a mini"

My last car was a Corvette and my new car now is a 2009 Mini JCW with sport suspension that I like as much or better then my Corvette. Tazio seems to love the VW GTI but I'm guessing he drives a Mini because he is a long time member of this forum. That should tell you something about owning a Mini Cooper.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
Ronnie948

Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 PM
wandrur
We're going to drive a couple of cars today just to compare some of the other options. Auto is out of the question. She wants another manual transmission.
Excellent. I drove an auto as a loaner recently, and I'm so so so so so so glad I got the manual.

Looking forward to hearing the report!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Look forward to hearing what you and your wife decide! I have an '06 Cooper, but my next will be a Clubman!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:02 PM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Getting a mini is like getting a new pet. Its an addition to the familiy. You'll feel bad when its dirty, you'll apologize to the car when you hit pot holes and speed bumps too fast. Sometimes you'll just sit and listen to the engine run...for hours at a time in your driveway. LOL jk.. I love my mini though. Good luck with the choices!! Deciding on getting a Mini is just the beginning. Configuring the car to your personal preferences is the hard part!!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 PM
JRide6
1st Gear
Today made our decision a little more interesting. I didn't think the wife was going to like the GTI at all but she really liked it. We do have to go back to the MINI dealer and drive a Clubman S though. We drove a coupe S last weekend since they didn't have a Clubman S to drive. I will say I liked the seating/driving position better in the MINI. The GTI definitely felt like it had a lot more power and it had a lot of nice features stock.

Overall.....GTI is a really nice car, features, power, price tag but it doesn't have a the uniqueness of the MINI.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Overall.....GTI is a really nice car, features, power, price tag...
And if you can wait a bit longer, the VW GTI-R should be on sale in the US this spring. 270hp, AWD, sharper steering, lower and stiffer than the GTI. Could be pretty sweet...

Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Decisions, decisions, decisions......good luck in making yours.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
you'll get stares,head twisters,comments,both good & bad

Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Having owned my Clubman since late June of '08, I can say that I've never been happier with any other car.

While I'm sure the VW has nice features, it's just not a MINI. These cars are just special. I can't even count the number of times I'm asked about my Clubbie. These cars make people smile (especially kids). I like that. A lot.

Also, be sure to consider the solid resale value of the Clubman. I don't think the VW can come close to holding it's value like the MINI.

Wishing you the best in your decision!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
RVExotics
5th Gear
I'll offer a perspective from someone who had an R56 MCS (2007), went to an '07 GTI, and am now back in a 2010 MCS. GTIs are great cars. Mine had the DSG transmission and I never had any of the mechatronic unit problems other owners reported - just like with any car, a percentage of owners report an issue and it seems like everyone has them. I really like the interior fit and finish, the ride quality, and the power of the car. The MkVI GTIs are basically the same drivetrain wise, but the interior is now on par with some entry to mid-level luxury cars. It is very, very nice. The manual tranny is buttery smooth as well on both the MkV and MkVI. By comparison my MCS's stick seems notchy.

But, in the end I feel I made a wise choice moving back into a MINI. It may not have as much grunt as the GTI (but it sure does feel and sound better!), and the interior may not be as classy (but it's a hell of a lot more unique! for better or worse), but it is a tight little hot hatch that gets phenomenal fuel economy while simultaneously offering taut handling that only a modded GTI could offer. They are two different cars that offer two different kinds of refinement and driving experience.

Lucky for me, since my partner drives a GTI, we get to enjoy both whenever we want

Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 AM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Just buy that gal a MPG and a thrilling Go-kart ride . Best of luck on your search on a new car ! Merry Christmas