1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hola

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hola

After falling in love with the MINI in 2002, I finally got my own last May (2009). My love and obsession of all thing MINI has only grown since I have gotten my very own (and it was pretty bad prior to owning a MINI...I had most of the dealer books, a scrapbook of MINI advertisements, a book about MINI)!

My MINI is a 2005 (so previously owned) Cool Blue MC convertible. She came with lots of options, most of what the 2005 models offered. I quickly named her Smurfette since she is small, cute and blue. Smurfette came to me with white bonnet stripes but we both thought that she needed a change of clothes so I put on hibiscus bonnet stripes, boot stripes and door cup decals in white as well as some hot orange hibiscus accent decals. I also put in an aux wire and rubber mats all around (front, back and boot). No other real mods (are those even mods?!?).

It really is odd the first few times you come out of a store or where ever to find someone staring at your car. The first couple of times I panicked thinking that maybe they hit Smurfette. Now I just ask them not to drool on her!

I havent really been on NAM (or any other motoring groups) until now because I have spent all extra time motoring (or detailing her or making custom stuff for her...). Now that winter has really set in, I plan to be more active on the boards.

I am considering doing the Dragon this year. It happens to take place over my birthday. Anyone else that is reading this planning on going?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
You may have better luck connecting with people going to the Dragon if you go to the thread dedicated to it under National Events. Welcome aboard and happy motoring.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome, you should def. come to the dragon it will be a MINI birthday party for you.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome May 2009, well it's taken you a little while to join us, better late than never. Can understand your desire to Motor rather than write, take the time now to share some time here on NAM.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Welcome and show us some pics of your Cooper

Old 01-14-2010, 06:13 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Thanks for the welcomes!

Welllll I guess if you twist my arm I will show off some pictures of my baby....

How she looked when we first got her

Then after redressed her

With one of my Chihuahuas (the one that will go to the Dragon with me)

With one of the custom I *heart* my MINI items that I had made, playing on the Cool Blue/ Hot Orange theme with a Warhol-esque design

And, of course, she needed eye make-up!

Thanks for letting me show her off a bit!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
veggievet, I took your advice and posted on the Dragon area too...we actually already know each other. I am in the local MPG club too. I think we are pretty much yesses for the Dragon this year, do you know if anyone else locally is going? I was concerned about being a vegetarian as most of the meals on the menus were meat topped with meat but snooter assures me that I will be fine.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Wow you pimped your Mini !Sweet

Old 01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Nicely done. I love the eye make up! Looking forward to meeting you at one of the MPG meetings in Albany soon. I think there are at least three of us veggies in that group now. On any of the rallies that I lead, I make sure beforehand that there are veggie options on the menu when we stop for lunch.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Good to know there are veggie options when you plan...have you noticed that at some restaurants right now all the salads include meat, now that is just silly

Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Yup...too many people still believe that unless you have some meat on your plate, it's not considered a 'real' meal.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 PM
minisizeme
2nd Gear
Wow Smurfette26 that is a sweet ride. Congrats and looks like your gonna have a blast with her. ( it is a her right?)Very Very nice!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Thanks minisizeme, I do have a blast with her!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
She is pretty! Welcome!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Cool Blue is a great color.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
oldsbear--thanks for the welcome!

LadyGodiva--thanks for the fun welcome. I had always admired to Cool Blue color, that and Hot Orange so I was very happy to find a good, used CoB in the area (and just in time for top down motoring too)!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Oil leak problem, couldnt post new thread so I am adding to my intro post...

Hi all...disclaimer: I did try doing a search to see if there was a similar post on the problems I am experiencing but with my general lack of car knowledge and terms used I am not certain if there were already threads that covered my problem. If there are, please point me towards them and sorry for the duplicate post. If this isnt really a duplicate post, any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Some point in August I started noticing a small splotch of oil beneath my 2005 MC Cabrio (non S) automatic transmission. The spot of oil was between the size of a nickle and quarter and darker in color than the oil when I would check my oil level (which throughout this has remained constant). I would notice a new spot only if the car sat for more than four days. Didnt really think that much of it since it was so little oil loss and I wasnt seeing any oil loss as measured by the dipstick.

At the beginning of October I had to bring the car in for the state inspection so I brought it to the local dealer. They noted a leaking valve cover. After doing a bit of (quick) research we decided that by doing it ourselves we would only save about $100 and given that we were scheduled to leave on a vacation in a couple of days, it seemed to be a slightly involved project and that there was no telling how bad the weather would be when we got back (and, therefore how miserable it might be in upstate NY to try to work outside) we decided to just have the dealership change it right then and there.

We were gone about 10 days and there was no spot on the floor beneath the MINI when we returned. At the end of October I once again started noticing a small splotch of oil on the floor after the car would sit for several days. The spot of oil was about the same size as before, between a nickle and a quarter, but the color seems lighter. I wouldnt bet a lot on it but I am pretty certain the color is lighter. I didnt take any pictures before so nothing really to compare it to.

This past Saturday we were at the dealership to see the Countryman and looked in to see how busy they were on the service side. They were busy but were able to put the MINI up on a lift to check her over to look for any obvious issues. Since I had been driving her for about three weeks after the leaking had reoccurred, she was pretty messy underneath. They did clean her up and watch for a bit but no new oil was obvious. They said I can bring her in for a more thorough examine this week.

Does this sound like any common MINI illness? A reoccurring problem I kept seeing (on NAM) when trying to research this was a leaky oil pan gasket but the leaking was referred to as weeping...is the quantity of oil leaking that I described *weeping*? I was never a car enthusiast before getting the MINI in May 2009. I have come a long way but still lack a lot of knowledge and confidence when it comes to problems and repairs. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!