1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooper S or 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Un0RiGiNaL
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Un0RiGiNaL; 12-13-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:59 AM
100percentcotton
2nd Gear
You won't be disappointed with a Mini. In my area 350Zs, G35s, M3s, STIs are pretty much a dime a dozen. Having a modded Mini is a lot more unique

Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
bigcat68
2nd Gear
I went from an 08 350Z Grand Touring to my 09 MINI John Cooper Works. I have few regrets. I still really like the Z, but the MINI is fun as hell also.

The problem with my Z was it was an automatic. Thats like selling XL thong bikinis. It just shouldnt be allowed.

A couple points:

The Z has a very plain, cheaper feeling interior, in my opinion

The Z is rear whell drive. Its supposed to be ok with snow tires but probably not as good as a FWD car.

The MINI blows the Z away in MPG. I was getting 17-18 MPG in 80/20 mixed city/hwy driving. With the MINI Im getting almost 28. And thats with "entusiastic" driving.

The Z is probably more reliable. Nissan makes a solid car like all the Japanese car makers. German/English cars are a little more finnicky, especially the electrical system. BUT the MINI comes w/ great warranty. (probably wont apply to you though shopping for an older car)

After owning both and frequenting enthusiast forums it appears that the MINI is cheaper to mod. The larger, everything, with the Z means more $$$. especially rims!

Both cars are about as rare on the road in my opinion. Something that I like.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 AM
bigcat68
2nd Gear
Also....and this is important. Only 1 of he 2 cars youre considering made this very prestigious list.

http://konkocars.com/2009/07/15/the-...by-douchebags/

Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I own a cooper s and have test driven a few Zs. I still think theres no other car that handles quite like a Mini. Its so incredibly balanced. The Z is pretty good as well, but IMO, 2nd place. You just need to go on a few extended test drives.

Here's what I liked and disliked:

350Z -

Pros: styling, acceleration, HP, overall performance.
Cons: RWD (I live in midwest, lots of snow), cheap interior materials, no backseat, TONS of blind spots, surprisingly small interior.

CooperS -
Pros: 40+MPG HWY, acceleration, handling, styling, balanced handling, lots of interior room despite its size, resale value, fits in any parking spot in the city
Cons: slightly more expensive to maintain, no trunk space, harsh ride w/ runflats (no room for spare).

I'd say MINIs are a little more unique and grab my eye more. They're both fantastic sports cars, and I'd be thrilled with either. Its all personal preference. I've wanted a Z since the came out, but I went with an S.

Also, cant live without options:

Xenon
Heated Seats
Harmon Kardon
Fogs
Moonroof
Leather (or vinyl) - cloth gets dirty very easily

Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isthar
On some more points:
Leather -- don't worry so much, I gave it up; MINI leather is very thin, won't hold you as well in the turns.
No fogs cuz of the switches missing -- I'd imagine you would mod a switch for your goodies! (suspension switch?)
No H/K -- plenty of threads about that not being a huge deal, about recommending you replace the audio system yourself anyways (although plan on keeping the built-in head unit)
No xenons -- I love xenons, so I'm with you.
No sunroof -- well... for speed/stiffness you're better off. for rear passengers they might wish you had one.
Originally Posted by Un0RiGiNaL
i plan on running 16x10 or 16x9 wheels
:D should i go 16 or 17? and on stock ride height will there be rubbing .

Yeah after doing research here im definely going to find one that has the whole package even if it costs more.
my specifics, must be black, gunmetal, red/white or red/black.
HK
heated leather
sunroof
xenons
mileage wise what should i be looking for? Whats considered high mileage for these cars?
Better off without sunroof its 80lbs in the worst possible spot you could place it on a car...the roof!! Its like tying up my 80lbs Rotweiller up on the roof of the MINI at the next track day? It would really affect the weight transfer, turn in, and transitions significantly and braking and acceleration to a smaller degree, not to mention Chuck Norris (my dog) would be pissed off and probably crap on my roof.

16x9 or 16x10!

What size tire would you use 245 or 265 for the later, not sure if a MINI has the power stock to push such a tire, maybe a 230whp and higher. It just seems such a size would slow you down around corners and lap times.
I have for track 17x8 with 225/40-17 (some rub on bot sides) but really like the feel of 15x7 with 205/50-15 and stock 18x7 with 225/35-18 for street. Plus you really have a very limited choice of wheels to choose from cause you will need an exact offset to not rub trail arm/strut/etc and not protrude past the metal portion of fender, I suggest figuring that out and getting a set of custom made Kodiak Racing Wheels. Actually not sure if 10 inch wide is do-able.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 01-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
a Z and a mini S are two very different cars, i'd say you should just choose upon preference, if it was a MINI vs GTI, then i'd understand.
the Z is like 6 cylinder, RWD 2 seater and ultra high insurance for kids our age right? That's all i know about them compared to our 4 banger FWD go-karts!

And man, those new 370s are BEAST-lookin

Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Yeah so far everyone i've talked to about it is like "noo dont get a mini cooper.. blah blah blah.."

screw them.
Exactly, screw them.

Plus a modded MINI looks WAY more badass than any 350Z.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had to say something. Yeah I had a 350Z, won trophies in shows, felt macho in it (over 50 ish plus in age), loved the looks, speed, handling, blah, blah, blah... THEN I bought my 08 MCS. Exactly what I've been looking for. Fun, Fun, Fun, and that's all I have to say about that.....

Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
I actually just found one.. and I came.. Wont embed though because flikr isn't user friendly and always has spaceball.gif when you try to get the link location.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xstartxtodayx/3638082937/
Not exactly on topic but I'm the owner of that pic and just thought I'd drop in and say hi since I've noticed a number of referral links from here If you wanted the IMG code all you had to do was shoot me a msg on Flickr or email (address is in the Flickr profile); I have all my images protected (as best as Flickr can which isn't much at all) against theft and people just using them without permission so that's why you used to get that spaceball gif (not sure if they still do that or not).

Anyways, here's that pic along with a couple others of that same Mini, I can't remember the owner's name but wish I could since I'd love to shoot the car some more (I know he posts over on MU or at leats used to).

Sick Mini done right by xstartxtodayx, on Flickr

(2 more pics in next post, this forum wouldn't let me post 3 pics for some reason )

and now on topic... my preference is a Mini over a Nissan any day. I'm actually considering looking for a non-S Mini for my daily driving/commuting (80+ miles a day, my Audi wagon is only getting me 25mpg and it's killing me). If I did get one I'd slam it on coils and get some 16x8 or 16x9's for it and make it my project/fun car as well while my Audi would be the family car.