1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:01 AM
craigdevdir
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change??

First post... Just bought (1 wk ago) a used '09 Cooper S w/ 5400 miles, now has 5900. Mini USA says first oil change at 12000. I think that's too long. I think I'll change oil now, and every 6000 thereafter. Some mechanics have advised to wait because of special break-in additives. I await your wisdom and opinions. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Congrats! Lots of previous discussions on this. I'm not aware of any break in additives in the Mini's oil. I know that our Honda Accord's oil was not changed until it had 5,000 miles because of break in additives in the factory oil. Although Mini/BMW says you don't need to change it until the monitor says so (up to 15,000 miles), most people change theirs early for better peace of mind. Ours is usually around 7,000-7,500 when it gets changed.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
What you said is perfect. Change it. Ive done every 6K since new. it seems like a good number, even with my driving 30K/ year. Out of my 5 changes so far, the dealer has done one lol

Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait for the indicated oil change. Your long life synthetic oil is fine to meet the manufacturer's recommendation.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Change it now.. and there are no special break-in additives, why do people make stuff like this up? Probably read it on the internets someplace.. so it "must be true". Meh!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Look for the guy on miniusa's forum who has over 350k on his 2002 MC and has only done oil changes when his computer told him to at about 15-20k. Many others have reported positive experiences changing the oil when MINI/computer suggests it. It's what I'll be doing. YMMV but probably won't unless you drive the heck out of your car. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 PM
minisizeme
2nd Gear
There is no reason to change it now except for your piece of mind. Oil has come a long way in the last 5 years and your Mini is designed to go 15,000 mile between oil change with the long life synthetic. Trust the manufacturer. If you are going to use non Synthetic oil then you do need to change it earlier then the 15,000 mile mark. The synthetic oil they put out does have special additives to make the oil last that long and keep the engine clean. The manufacturer does not put additives to help "break in" the car. The oil companies all use there own blend of additives to the oil and each one puts different amounts in them. Do a little research online and you will see.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Changed mine at about 1,600 miles, and again 5,000 miles later. Oil analysis indicated that it was about time, might have gone another couple thou on the second change. Oil analysis posted by someone who had gone 12,500 miles on first oil change indicated that there was so much metal in the oil it had become abrasive.

Get a factory oil filter with copper crush washer for the drain plug for $10-$15. Use MINI branded 5W-30 (same as BMW branded 5W-30 made for BMW by Castrol) or a synthetic oil that meets BMW LL-01 or ACEA A3 standards. I'll probably use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula for my next oil change.

There is a good thread for DIY oil change here.

You need a 27mm or 1-1/16" socket for the filter housing, and a long extension.

Some drain plugs take an 8mm hex wrench (Allen wrench). Some take a Torx T50.

To minimize oil spilled from the filter, open the oil filler cap on top of engine. Loosen the filter housing until air seal has broken. Allow oil to drain out of filter.
Torque oil filter cap to 18.5 ft. lbs., drain plug to 22 ft. lbs.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by minisizeme
There is no reason to change it now except for your piece of mind. Oil has come a long way in the last 5 years and your Mini is designed to go 15,000 mile between oil change with the long life synthetic.
Unfortunately, oil filters have not. When the filter is overwhelmed, oil just bypasses it. If you want to keep the same oil, change the filter several times before 15,000 miles. A new engine adds metal to the engine as it breaks in. If it is more than the filter can hold, it will build up in the oil and become abrasive.

I suspect it was the bean counters and marketing dept. that set the 15,000 mile interval, not the engineers.

BTW, It isn't a fixed 15,000. It is whatever the service indicator in the onboard computer says. It is calculated on driving style. Mine would have gone 19,000 miles before it indicated service.

Your dealer will also do a free oil change (during the 3 year/30,000 free maintenance period) if you do not get to the indicated miles before the anniversary of your MINI's delivery. Some dealers are reluctant, but it is required.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is true synthetic oils have come a long way. It is also true that some BMW's that follow these long, long oil change intervals have shown some sludge build up according to information in Roundel - BMWCCA's magazine.

Several have posted here in NAM that actual oil analyses have shown that at about 8,000 miles the synthetic oil properties start to degrade. Such analyses are critical to air craft engine maintenance. (It can get way too quiet up there if your aircraft engine's not happy.)

Mike Miller - extremely knowledable technical guru for BMWCCA - recommends a 1,200 mile break in oil change followed by changes about every 8,000 miles. This is what I am doing. He also recommends manual tranny lube changes at 1,200 initially and then every 30,000 miles. Life time lube is expected to be

Amazingly, the appearance of these long service intervals coincided exactly with when German car companies started including free maintenance. Also there is alot of pressure in Europe to reduce the total fluid waste during the life of a car and longer fluid change intervals also help this.

Mike Miller says if you only plan on keeping a car 100k miles the long oil change intervals are probably OK, there will be more sludge in the engine but it will probably make 100k. If you plan on keeping the car or want to reduce sludge build up - more frequent oil changes are better.

I also changed the manual tranny fluid to Red Line MTL and the shifting - always good- is even smoother.

Congrats on your '09 MCS - I love my MINI. Happy Motoring!!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
minisizeme
2nd Gear
True on the oil filter. But it does take a lot of metal and debris to clog an oil filter. The synthetic oil they use now days are super good at keeping wear to an absuolute minimum and making sludge almost non existent in high end cars like the Mini.

And yes the OBC calculates the change interval based on your driving style but the industry standard is 1year or 15,000 miles.

Last edited by minisizeme; 01-15-2010 at 09:31 PM.