1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'll be taking this here Mini and whatever cash you have in the drawer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be taking this here Mini and whatever cash you have in the drawer

I’m jinxing myself, I quite sure of it. By posting this I am certainly ensuring that in the next couple of days I will face soul-crushing woe.

You see, I’ve been kicking around here for over a year. Reading. Thinking. Saying “no” to going through with the purchase. Actually buying another car (09 Acura TSX). And finally coming to realize that a Mini is really what I wanted all along. As I explained to the salesperson at Flow, “With my Acura, it’s like we’ve been on a very long, one year first date where I’m across the table from it thinking it’s a very nice car. Friendly. A bit peppy. Lush sound system. The kind of girl your mom would want you to bring home. Very safe.”

However there’s just something missing from this first date. Something I just can’t put my finger on. Could it be countless issues that are popping up on what was supposed to be a “flawless” Honda-made car? Maybe, but I know every car can have problems. I’ve now realized that it’s because the car doesn’t make me smile. She’s nice. Kinda sexy (but not too sexy). But…

So then after coming back to these forums and going through another round of doubt (cold start issues, carbon buildup, etc), thinking and test drives, I decided to do it. Specifically, I wanted a ’10 loaded hot chocolate Mayfair with white roof. Now that’s sexy. That makes one smile. And best of all I didn’t even have to order one and wait the anxiety-filled 12 weeks! Although I live in Roanoke, VA and would be purchasing from Flow in Greensboro, one matching my wants and needs was found in Columbus! Joy! The lights of heaven shine down upon me! All that needs to be done is to place it on a truck, get it down to Flow and the rest will be history.

This is where the dark clouds come in. Looking at the pictures online of the car, I noticed that it looked rather dirty. Lots of salt on him, etc (yes, it’s a male – you can just tell), so I called the dealership and asked how many miles happened to be on it. I didn’t want one that had been used by the car the dealership to go get everybody’s lunch run. I didn’t tell him my whole story – I simply asked. Turns out there are less than 10 miles on him, so I email my dealer back and tell them to “do it” – ask for the stock transfer.

The dealership in Columbus now thinks (because I called) that THEY have somebody interested in it and don’t want to let it go. I now have to wait until Monday for Flow to call them again and stress that they really don’t have anybody that wants it. I have volunteered to call and say, “Hey! It was me! The obsessive guy who wanted to know how many miles were on it and why did it look like salt on the floor mats!” It’s still up to them release the car – they can decide to do it or not.

I feel like I’m living a Lifetime Channel movie where the loving, kind potential parents of an adopted baby are thwarted seconds after the birth by the evil, crackhead prostitute mother.

So, I introduce myself here not as a mini owner just yet. Please, send positive vibes my way that this will work out and they’ll hand him over to the parents that will really love and care for him. I would certainly hate to have to drive up to Columbus and pull a “Raising Arizona” on them.

Last edited by Thom228; 01-17-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Font fix
Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thom228
I’m jinxing myself, I quite sure of it. By posting this I am certainly ensuring that in the next couple of days I will face soul-crushing woe.

You see, I’ve been kicking around here for over a year. Reading. Thinking. Saying “no” to going through with the purchase. Actually buying another car (09 Acura TSX). And finally coming to realize that a Mini is really what I wanted all along. As I explained to the salesperson at Flow, “With my Acura, it’s like we’ve been on a very long, one year first date where I’m across the table from it thinking it’s a very nice car. Friendly. A bit peppy. Lush sound system. The kind of girl your mom would want you to bring home. Very safe.”

However there’s just something missing from this first date. Something I just can’t put my finger on. Could it be countless issues that are popping up on what was supposed to be a “flawless” Honda-made car? Maybe, but I know every car can have problems. I’ve now realized that it’s because the car doesn’t make me smile. She’s nice. Kinda sexy (but not too sexy). But…

So then after coming back to these forums and going through another round of doubt (cold start issues, carbon buildup, etc), thinking and test drives, I decided to do it. Specifically, I wanted a ’10 loaded hot chocolate Mayfair with white roof. Now that’s sexy. That makes one smile. And best of all I didn’t even have to order one and wait the anxiety-filled 12 weeks! Although I live in Roanoke, VA and would be purchasing from Flow in Greensboro, one matching my wants and needs was found in Columbus! Joy! The lights of heaven shine down upon me! All that needs to be done is to place it on a truck, get it down to Flow and the rest will be history.

This is where the dark clouds come in. Looking at the pictures online of the car, I noticed that it looked rather dirty. Lots of salt on him, etc (yes, it’s a male – you can just tell), so I called the dealership and asked how many miles happened to be on it. I didn’t want one that had been used by the car the dealership to go get everybody’s lunch run. I didn’t tell him my whole story – I simply asked. Turns out there are less than 10 miles on him, so I email my dealer back and tell them to “do it” – ask for the stock transfer.

The dealership in Columbus now thinks (because I called) that THEY have somebody interested in it and don’t want to let it go. I now have to wait until Monday for Flow to call them again and stress that they really don’t have anybody that wants it. I have volunteered to call and say, “Hey! It was me! The obsessive guy who wanted to know how many miles were on it and why did it look like salt on the floor mats!” It’s still up to them release the car – they can decide to do it or not.

I feel like I’m living a Lifetime Channel movie where the loving, kind potential parents of an adopted baby are thwarted seconds after the birth by the evil, crackhead prostitute mother.

So, I introduce myself here not as a mini owner just yet. Please, send positive vibes my way that this will work out and they’ll hand him over to the parents that will really love and care for him. I would certainly hate to have to drive up to Columbus and pull a “Raising Arizona” on them.
Take the Drive, I'm surprised instead of writing this you weren't on the road already...if this "IS" the MINI you've been wanting...get in your "Safe" car and TAKE THE DRIVE ALREADY!!

****Good Vibes****

Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Witty post, hope you get your baby!!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Best of luck to you. I fully understand the passion

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with RJkimbell. Take the drive and get your car. What better way to get familiar with him than a nice road trip home?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniblucabrio
I agree with RJkimbell. Take the drive and get your car. What better way to get familiar with him than a nice road trip home?
I wish. I have this stupid thing called "work" that I do that isn't allowing me to take a lot of time off right now.

The worst thing about this is this all went down Saturday evening, so I didn't have the opportunity to resolve the issue before they left for the night and then Sunday.

I waited over a year. I can go a few more days.

I think.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM
minisizeme
2nd Gear
I know the feeling. Waiting is the worst part. I waited almost 9 years to finally get mine. Keep up the positive attitude and it is only one more day. Sending positive vibes your way.......

Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM
JenK
2nd Gear
Great story...I would have been there and back by now! Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Yeah go get it, beats waiting around.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
LOL
I want part 2 of this Lifetime Special

Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sense acute "analysis paralysis" here. Just do it!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Not "analysis paralysis." Just an informed shopper.

Anyway, Scott at Flow Mini has called Midwestern Mini to once again ask for the car be transfered to them. If I don't get an answer back by COB Tuesday, I may take a PTO Wednesday and drive up . It's about 7 hrs each way.

I am just giving Flow the chance to make the sale because they have been so good through the process.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Ah, turns out it just wasn't me asking about it. Midwestern Mini claims there is a local that is serious about the car, so they won't release it. It wasn't meant to be, I guess.

However, Flow has found a nearly similar car that just finished production that could work. It's missing the center armrest and bonnet stripes which can easily be done at the dealership. The one other things it's missing is the anthracite headliner which, I don't think, could be done at the dealership. This stinks because I think the anthracite adds a nice touch to the interior.

It also stinks because it's still waiting to hitch a ride on a boat to the States.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, turns out it just wasn't me asking about it. Midwestern Mini claims there is a local that is serious about the car, so they won't release it. It wasn't meant to be, I guess.

However, Flow has found a nearly similar car that just finished production that could work. It's missing the center armrest and bonnet stripes which can easily be done at the dealership. The one other things it's missing is the anthracite headliner which, I don't think, could be done at the dealership. This stinks because I think the anthracite adds a nice touch to the interior.

It also stinks because it's still waiting to hitch a ride on a boat to the States.
When you're in the position you're in (you want the perfect car), I would highly recommend to not settle for something you don't want. I'm not sure about you, but I really wanted a number of things and wouldn't stop until I got those things. Anthracite headliner was one. When you look at the front of the car from the outside without the anthracite headliner, you can see white A-Pillars, I hated that!

Anyways, like how you made an analogy to a girlfriend in your first post, don't settle for the girl that looks good but when she smiles, she has yellow, crooked teeth.

:D

Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
itsminibtch
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Good luck!!! still a chance the "local" wont buy? ask them to make sure and keep you posted. I myself came from Acura to Mini...

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The anthracite headliner can absolutely be done at the dealer so don't give up hope!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
When you're in the position you're in (you want the perfect car), I would highly recommend to not settle for something you don't want. I'm not sure about you, but I really wanted a number of things and wouldn't stop until I got those things. Anthracite headliner was one. When you look at the front of the car from the outside without the anthracite headliner, you can see white A-Pillars, I hated that!

Anyways, like how you made an analogy to a girlfriend in your first post, don't settle for the girl that looks good but when she smiles, she has yellow, crooked teeth.

:D
Agreed. It has taken me thousands more making my car what I want, when I could have spent less by just waiting a little longer/looking a little harder for what I really wanted!

-Chase

Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I agree that you should definitely get exactly what you want. That's why you should order one unless you happen to find exactly what you want on a dealer's lot somewhere.

On a side note: I really don't understand all the love for the anthracite headliner. I'd rather be able to see my A-pillar from outside than have such a dark headliner; the contrast when inside would be too much, and make the inside seem darker and smaller, IMO.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
I agree that you should definitely get exactly what you want. That's why you should order one unless you happen to find exactly what you want on a dealer's lot somewhere.

On a side note: I really don't understand all the love for the anthracite headliner. I'd rather be able to see my A-pillar from outside than have such a dark headliner; the contrast when inside would be too much, and make the inside seem darker and smaller, IMO.
DIRT!!

I for one would not Buy or Order a MINI without the Anthracite Headliner, with all other items insdie the car being dark and the Grey Headliner being so light, it just doesn't look pretty!!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill

My S is all black, black roof, black tinted windows. In my case the contrast would be ugly. I love the black headliner, it makes the inside like a movie theatre. Nice and dark. If I want the inside more bright and bigger feeling, I just open up the huge sunroof!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
DIRT!!

I for one would not Buy or Order a MINI without the Anthracite Headliner, with all other items insdie the car being dark and the Grey Headliner being so light, it just doesn't look pretty!!
Well, white roofs don't look pretty either, so it would work together well.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
I've decided to take the plunge and just order what I want (anthracite headline and all) so I can't ever think that I settled for something less. It seems that whenever a sales rep tells me what he/she can get their hands on, little things are missing that, to me, are important.

So, it's off to the drawing board and then the wait begins.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
I've decided to take the plunge and just order what I want (anthracite headline and all) so I can't ever think that I settled for something less. It seems that whenever a sales rep tells me what he/she can get their hands on, little things are missing that, to me, are important.

So, it's off to the drawing board and then the wait begins.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Given my location (Roanoke, VA), I don't have a Mini dealership in my town but there are several to choose from within a few hrs drive. I put together a car the way I wanted it and sent it to the three dealerships that would make the most sense for me to use. If the car ever needs to be serviced, I would want some place fairly nearby so I could get a loaner. I spoke to the sales reps at each place to get their emails and each promised to get a quote back to me ASAP. This was two days ago.

The first (and closest) hasn't bothered to get the quote to me. This has been the case with other questions I've had from him during the past two weeks I've been dealing with them. "Oh, I'll check on that and get back with you in the morning..." and then nothing but the sound of email crickets. I guess sales are so through the roof at some dealerships that they can afford to ignore a customer.

Another was very friendly and kept saying that he really wanted my business. That was nice change from the other one. Given that since it was a special order and didn't qualify for the 1750 credit they are giving until the end of the month, he said he could give me 500 off the MSRP. I was expecting a little more off the top, so I waited to see what the third choice would offer.

Choice number three had nothing off and tacked on a 99 dollar fee for nitrogen in the tires. I understand that nitrogen is supposed to help with the tire pressure monitor issues, but c'mon!

So, my question for you guys out there, given the economy, what do you feel I should expect in regards to negotiations? 500 off MSRP or more? There is no way in Hades I'm going to pay extra for nitrogen, so they can bite me on that one.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
I would do a search of each of the dealers here on NAM just to see what others are saying about them. You might find that one routinely gives lots of swag upon delivery, has great service or is better with haggling prices. Of course you might find out things that make you want to run from a particular dealer too.

It is my understanding that you can visit any MINI dealer for warranted work, just in case you thought you were stuck with the one you purchased from (although if everything is equal, it is probably a good idea to build a relationship with one particular location).

Good luck. Keep us posted on your version of "As the MINI Turns"