1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aloha, dudes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 AM
flanman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha, dudes

My MINI is a Chili Red 2003 we bought when the new Coopers first became available in Hawaii. Now that we've reached 65,000 miles, it's time for me to learn how to fix stuff. I'm particularly interested in replacing the struts now that Mini is doing a fair imitation of a pogo stick on one particular piece of freeway heading into downtown Honolulu.

I'm also into motorcycles and scooters, spend time on advrider.com, klr650.net and modernvespa.com and do all my own wrenching -- well, except for shimming the valve clearances on my KLR.

My friend Daniel recommended I get on board this ship. He's got two Minis and wants me to learn how to replace timing belts. With friends like that, I need more beer.

Last edited by flanman; 01-30-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Scooters, eh? I used to own a 1965 Vespa 180 Super Sport. That thing had more style than I knew what to do with. It was impossibly pretty and loads of fun. Wish I wasn't forced to sell it.

Curious here, but does one go crazy living on an island and driving the same roads endlessly? I realize that Oahu has some great roads, and that most people drive a whole lot within their own city. But you can't just take a road trip and go somewhere new out on an island like that.

Welcome to NAM anyway, you'll find all your answers and more.

First bit: MINIs do not have timing belts. They have internal timing chains. The rubber belt you see outside the engine is usually called the drive belt or serpentine. It drives all engine driven systems.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 AM
flanman
Neutral
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Curious here, but does one go crazy living on an island and driving the same roads endlessly?
That's why I have a Vespa on Oahu and a Kawasaki KLR 650 on the mainland. I took a 20-state, 6,000-mile ride last summer up and down the East Coast on the KLR. The Vespas (I have a GT 200 and my wife has an LX 150) are great for urban riding -- lots of storage, easy to park, great mileage.

You're absolutely right. After 60-miles or so on Oahu, you've probably completed the loop. Great scenery, though, and the best climate in the world. Traffic sucks, but that's another reason the Vespas are fun.

Originally Posted by nabeshin
First bit: MINIs do not have timing belts. They have internal timing chains. The rubber belt you see outside the engine is usually called the drive belt or serpentine. It drives all engine driven systems.
Thanks. Well, one reason I just registered on this site is to start to get the terminology right.

So, I've spent the last hour reading about coil-overs, struts, adjustable shocks, etc. I just want to replace the OEM shocks so the MINI doesn't bump up and down like a jackrabbit on Starbucks. I don't need high performance -- it's not a MINI S and it even has an automatic. I just want a smoother ride without losing that great handling.

By the way, I see you've from Big Red country. My wife went to UNL and I've been totally indoctrinated in all things Osbourne and Pellini. Nice to see the Black Shirts back on their game this year.

Last edited by flanman; 01-30-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by flanman
You're absolutely right. After 60-miles or so on Oahu, you've probably completed the loop. Great scenery, though, and the best climate in the world. Traffic sucks, but that's another reason the Vespas are fun..
For sure, no real need to drive any distance when you live in paradise Glad your friend sent you this way. And he can
navigate you through the DIY and fix it threads here.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Lots of us MINIacs have upgraded to Koni FSD's and have been happy with the results.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
flanman
Neutral
Originally Posted by veggivet
Lots of us MINIacs have upgraded to Koni FSD's and have been happy with the results.
Thanks! I saw the Konis, which seem to be reasonably priced compared to racing struts.

They appear to come without springs, however, while others look like they include them. Do you just reuse the OEM springs, etc.? Seems reasonable. My springs seem to be OK (boing, boing, boing... ), but the shocks aren't doing much anymore to smooth things out.

I read someplace that, besides a spring compressor, a special BMW tool is needed for strut replacement -- true?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
I used my OEM springs as they only had about 20k miles on them when I made the change. I guess you could buy new OEM springs at the dealership; they shouldn't be that expensive. Sorry, I can't answer your question about the special BMW tool since my mechanic did the install. One of the vendors here has the Koni's on special for around $550, but they're on backorder until early March.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Most would reuse the OEM springs with the Koni's. I'm still on my stock springs and dampeners but from what I gather, any suspension shop can do work on MINIs and switch out the dampeners.

By the way, I see you've from Big Red country. My wife went to UNL and I've been totally indoctrinated in all things Osbourne and Pellini. Nice to see the Black Shirts back on their game this year.
I honestly never follow any of that... don't understand everyone's obsession with it around here either. Lincoln is merely where I live right now, and UNL was just the school I happened to go to.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome, if your going to reuse the old springs the Koni FSDs would work great for you. If you want lowering springs you'll need to get Koni Yellows or bilsteins. Feel free to call my shop and we'll see if we can put you together something, I have several customers in HI, and an Installer.

WAY

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-31-2010, 01:25 AM
flanman
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Welcome, if your going to reuse the old springs the Koni FSDs would work great for you. If you want lowering springs you'll need to get Koni Yellows or bilsteins. Feel free to call my shop and we'll see if we can put you together something, I have several customers in HI, and an Installer.
Thanks for the info. Good to know. That's what I figured about the OEM springs. No need to lower the car -- we mostly use it to commute, not for driftin'.

My friend here has two MINIs with fewer miles than mine. We thought we might get any tools we need, do my struts in the new couple of weeks and then be able to tackle his when the time comes, no sweat. Think that's feasible?