1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
helioocean
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini Owner

Hi. I am receiving a mini cooper (2007 hardtop non-S automatic) and I am looking to add some extra performance and horsepower to it. I know a little bit about cars, but I wanted to come to the experts who know what to do. I heard that upgrading exhaust systems, ECU, and air filters can upgrade performance. Is this true? and if so what products should I be looking at or what companies do you think offer the best. I have also heard that some exhaust systems may make the car sound better, but not improve performance. I would like to hear what your advice is. Also keep in mind that my mini is a non-S and is automatic.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
You have what we call a Justa (just a Cooper). There are a few things you can do to help performance. First off, if it still has the run-flat tires, change 'em out. There's a whole section on tires and wheels here. The difference in handling will be startling. If you're after power, you can add a bit more juice with a cold air intake and a less restrictive exhaust, but it will never be an S, especially with the automatic tranny. I like my OBX exhaust, but sound is a very personal and subjective thing. There is a section on product reviews on this site, plus tons of threads on what exhaust is 'the best'. You can also see what companies have the best reputations. Adding a stiffer rear sway bar will also improve your handling. Check out the first generation mod section. There's tons of info there. Welcome aboard, happy motoring, and post some pix!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
VioletDC
3rd Gear
Congratulations, and welcome to NAM! U'll loooove your MINI, and whatever u do, let us know and yes, pics! We need pics!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome, We offer several products for the Just a Cooper R56. Unfortunately there isn't much in engine mods available yet, but they will come with time. Feel free to call if you need help, here is a link to our R56 cooper intake
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwork...5-r56-r57.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Congratulations on your new acquistion, I too have a justa cooper, will wait to see what in the way of performance mods come on the market in the future. Performance tires are your best bet right now, really can make you faster in the twisties.