1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie to the forum. I pick up my first MINI tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
criz p. critter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noobie to the forum. I pick up my first MINI tomorrow!

Hi all. Name's Chris. Glad to be here. This looks like a friendly and very informative place to be. Now that I am set to become a new MINI owner, I expect to be reading up here on all aspects of MINI ownership.

I'm picking up my 2010 Clubman S tomorrow. It's a 6 speed manual, dark silver, with the Premium and Convenience packages. I will post pics as soon as I am able.

I'm trading in my old 2001 Turbo Beetle, which was a fun car to drive, but nothing to a MINI S. I have been looking at various new cars, and wanted something different. Not just a "car". I was thinking of going the box route: a Cube or a Kia Soul. (Don't like the Scion xB.) The Cube was quirky and cool, but turned out to be way underpowered. The Soul I just didn't really like. In desperation I looked at others like the Matrix and the Scion xD, but just couldn't get excited about them. Then one day I drove by a MINI dealer and stopped in on a whim. I had always thought they'd be too expensive, both to buy as well as repair. Drove the Clubman and fell in love. And it turned out to be not all that expensive!

Can't wait to get in it and take a drive tomorrow!!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome.
Cant wait to see the photos!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
Congrats on the Clubman. I was the first in Arizona to order mine after a 25-month wait. My favorite car of all. It's two years old now with 4,000 miles on it and my only regret is that I can't drive it more.
I did buy a Cube last September for my Greyhounds. It is a great dog car for them and I don't mind parking it when I go out on errands. I baby my Clubman and don't take it places it would have to be parked for long. Too many people out there who have no regard for others' cars.
The Cube is a fun, quirky car for in town, but the feeling I get when driving the Clubman far surpasses any other car I have ever driven. And it still gets comments nearly every time I take it out.
Enjoy your new baby. Let's hear what you name it.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Congratulations on your new Clubman S, I'm sure you are going to love driving it. Welcome to NAM, looking forward to the pictures of your MINI.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats....welcome to the family

Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Congratulations! Glad you took the MINI drive When I took my first drive, there was no doubt I had to have a MINI Many smiles to come!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
criz p. critter
1st Gear
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm picking it up this afternoon. I have no idea what to do with myself in the meantime.

Originally Posted by cloud10
The Cube is a fun, quirky car for in town, but the feeling I get when driving the Clubman far surpasses any other car I have ever driven. And it still gets comments nearly every time I take it out.
Enjoy your new baby. Let's hear what you name it.
Yeah, I agree. I really did fall for the Cube, but it's just embarrassingly underpowered compared to its competition. But I was still going to get one... until I drove the Clubman. And re: comments... I'm sure they both get them, but the Cube gets "quirky" and "cute", whereas the Clubman gets "effing COOL!"

Originally Posted by oldsbear
Congratulations! Glad you took the MINI drive When I took my first drive, there was no doubt I had to have a MINI Many smiles to come!
Exactly my experience. I came back from my test drive with a huge grin plastered on my face! And when I found out that it was affordable (about $20 more a month than the Cube would've cost me) it was GAME OVER. WHERE DO I SIGN?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by criz p. critter
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm picking it up this afternoon. I have no idea what to do with myself in the meantime.
You'll be wanting to accessorize of course, there is much to search for Online, it will be a good way to pass the time!!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Congrats...and welcome!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 PM
dogdal24
5th Gear
Welcome, Enjoy the fun! We just picked up our 3rd yesterday and it is AWESOME!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:41 PM
mrjasey
3rd Gear
cool. ive kinda hated but loved the clubman. i dont like it but for some reason i like it..if that makes any sense lol

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
interchange1
1st Gear
welcome

Congrats on the new Mini.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 AM
criz p. critter
1st Gear
My thanks again to all for the warm welcome.

Well, I am officially a MINI owner! Picked it up Sunday. Didn't actually get out of the dealer until after 8pm, so only got to drive it about an hour last night. Initial impression is WOW!!!!! I think I'm almost in shock at how happy and excited I am. Also a little overwhelmed at all the controls for the car/ipod/bluetooth cuz I haven't read the manual yet. I'll have more to say after I've driven it a little more. And like I said, I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

The drive to work today isn't going to be my usual Monday-morning downer! Too bad I can't call in sick and just motor all day.