1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it......

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 06:32 PM
Tommy Tutone
|
Neutral
Well, I finally did it......

I pulled the trigger on a Mini. I am a Mustang fan. Have been for a number of years. Purchased my first one in 1989 and haven't looked back since. Everything from stock fox bodies to my race car. 1500+ hp 1993 Mustang GT. But, I have had this Mini passion lurking inside now since this resurrection of new style Mini's. My wife, on the other hand, despised the first Mini I brought home in 2004. Soooo, needless to say, no mini was in store for me any time soon.

My boss and his wife are nearing the parting of ways and her daily is this 2006 Cooper S. So, when I saw it roll in the shop for service and pictures (we also sale cars), I snatched it up pretty quickly, despite the tongue lashing I was about to receive when I arrived home. I phoned the wife, told her to get dressed, We were going to dinner in the new ride.

Her first response on the phone was fairly expected.

her: "What did you buy?"
me: "A car, what else!"
her: "It better not be that stupid little car you keep talking about"
me: "What car would you be referring?"
her: "YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT CAR I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!"
me: "Where would you like to eat? You know that steak place you always wanted to go to? I was thinking that tonight would be as good as any to go there."
her: "Damnit, you did buy that car didn't you?"
me: "Will you be ready in like 10 minutes?"

So, it's like this.

2006 Mini Cooper S
Megan Racing race coil over system
Megan Racing exhaust system
The intercooler is big, just don't know who's it is.
18" wheels.

Anyway, one, big, medium-rare steak, Lobster tail (the biggest damn crawfish I have ever seen by-the-way), baked potato and a VERY expensive bottle of wine later, (Don't forget to leave a tip.....Tip, that has to be included in this check woman....) I am the very proud owner of a Mini Cooper S.

I was able to drive it for the first week after I brought it home. Then, my boss explains that his soon-to-be-ex will be in the next few days to finalize the....well, ya know.....I asked my wife if we could trade cars for the day? She reluctantly agreed, FOR ONLY TODAY THOUGH, RIGHT?. (Her daily is a 328i convertible BMW)

Needless to say, I haven't even seen the Mini in a month. And the keys seem to have been lost from the point I get home, till she leaves for work in the morning.

I knew she would like it once she drove it anyway.......although she would never admit it to me.....it's ok, I still love her.

So, what next? I work in a performance shop and tune Ford, Gm and Dodge stuff. What can I do to this Mini (assuming of course, I get it back)?

Archie King
rad-rides.com

Attached Thumbnails Well, I finally did it......-mini.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:51 PM
N666BK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Tutone

me: "Where would you like to eat? You know that steak place you always wanted to go to? I was thinking that tonight would be as good as any to go there."

great story made my day. Nice to have you here!

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:01 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
u made ther right choice... welcome

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:10 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
What can I do to this Mini (assuming of course, I get it back)?
First of all congrats. Great story, the first of many to come. If you are looking for speed, then a reduced supercharger pulley is in order if it doesn't already have one (15% recommended), a big valve head, cam and custom tune to bring it all together (make sure you get a tune from an experienced Mini tuner). Remember, it's all power to weight and the Mini is fairly light as far as new cars go.

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Congrats on the car.

Love the play by play with the wife, that brings back memories of my parents fighting about cars my dad bought.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 03-17-2010 | 12:29 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Been there done that with the wife, the only difference is my wife hasn't seized the MINI, while she accepts its position on the driveway, and has even washed it twice, she has only ridden in it once in 6 months, however she claims half ownership and final say so on any mods, she is still upset about the viper stripes and I anticipate a major battle over the Falken Azenis RT-615's that are going on it April 1st. A steak dinner will not even come close to winning that battle!

Old 03-20-2010 | 02:10 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
First of all congrats. Great story, the first of many to come. If you are looking for speed, then a reduced supercharger pulley is in order if it doesn't already have one (15% recommended), a big valve head, cam and custom tune to bring it all together (make sure you get a tune from an experienced Mini tuner). Remember, it's all power to weight and the Mini is fairly light as far as new cars go.
+1
maybe header too but def Pulley first

Old 04-07-2010 | 04:49 PM
Tommy Tutone
|
Neutral
Blower pulley......check
crank pulley......check

I have access to building the so called "twin-charged" turbo system. Also, I am v-e-r-y good with nitrous.

Who makes the tuning software for these cars? I have an in-house dynojet 224x (with the boost monitor) to test everything I do but would like to tune on my own.

I can see I am about to open a new mini-can (pun intended) of worms.

Archie

ps: A red 2004 Cooper S was traded in today. Low miles and completely stock. So, if anyone is looking......

A

Last edited by Tommy Tutone; 04-07-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2010 | 12:40 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
I pulled the trigger on a Mini. I am a Mustang fan. Have been for a number of years. Purchased my first one in 1989 and haven't looked back since. Everything from stock fox bodies to my race car. 1500+ hp 1993 Mustang GT. But, I have had this Mini passion lurking inside now since this resurrection of new style Mini's. My wife, on the other hand, despised the first Mini I brought home in 2004. Soooo, needless to say, no mini was in store for me any time soon.

My boss and his wife are nearing the parting of ways and her daily is this 2006 Cooper S. So, when I saw it roll in the shop for service and pictures (we also sale cars), I snatched it up pretty quickly, despite the tongue lashing I was about to receive when I arrived home. I phoned the wife, told her to get dressed, We were going to dinner in the new ride.

Her first response on the phone was fairly expected.

So, it's like this.

2006 Mini Cooper S
Megan Racing race coil over system
Megan Racing exhaust system
The intercooler is big, just don't know who's it is.
18" wheels.

Anyway, one, big, medium-rare steak, Lobster tail (the biggest damn crawfish I have ever seen by-the-way), baked potato and a VERY expensive bottle of wine later, (Don't forget to leave a tip.....Tip, that has to be included in this check woman....) I am the very proud owner of a Mini Cooper S.

I was able to drive it for the first week after I brought it home. Then, my boss explains that his soon-to-be-ex will be in the next few days to finalize the....well, ya know.....I asked my wife if we could trade cars for the day? She reluctantly agreed, FOR ONLY TODAY THOUGH, RIGHT?. (Her daily is a 328i convertible BMW)

Needless to say, I haven't even seen the Mini in a month. And the keys seem to have been lost from the point I get home, till she leaves for work in the morning.

I knew she would like it once she drove it anyway.......although she would never admit it to me.....it's ok, I still love her.

So, what next? I work in a performance shop and tune Ford, Gm and Dodge stuff. What can I do to this Mini (assuming of course, I get it back)?

Archie King
rad-rides.com
I had a similar experience with my wife. I have been into cars all my life, had a couple of old Vettes (wife loved), an MG Midget (wife absolutely hated), muscle cars, and currently a '36 Chevy Coupe Street Rod. While my wife doesn't give me a hard time about the street rod, she avoids it. She rarely rides in it and has never driven it, even though it is a beautiful, award winning car. I recently purchased a Liquid Yellow '02 MCS and she really likes the car, never complains about taking it when we go out and likes to drive it. She even has bought me presents for it, new vinyl stripe kit and leather door pulls. She was really disapointed that she won't be able to go with me on the WNY MINI club run to Watkins Glen in a couple weeks. (She'll be out of town) I just hope it doesn't end up like you because when I had my '66 Corvette I couldn't keep the keys away from her and she drove it like she was Mario Andretti.

Mark

Old 04-09-2010 | 07:56 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
I loved that story! It should go on the MINI Corporate site under testimonials. That is one mean looking MINI you got.

My story is kind of the opposite. My wife needed a new car and when we test drove the MINI she just knew that was the car for her. I didn't want to ask if I could drive it because I knew that she was having a blast and didn't want to interrupt her fun, but she knew that I was twitching like a **** every time we got in her car that she finally suggested we look for a MINI for me. The "looking" turned into buying in about 2 weeks and so we both have permanent grins on our faces now.

Motor on baby!

Old 04-09-2010 | 09:45 PM
slotibartfast
2nd Gear
Great story !

One of my most anxious days started with my wife taking our Mini to work for the 1st time earlier this year. I needed her Honda CRV on my day off - it has a bike rack and I really needed to go on a ride. I remember watching her drive up the street at a crisp clip and thinking, "This may be a bad idea. I may never get to drive it again." Thankfully, she knows how much I love Max and respects my territory. Hope it lasts that way.

Old 04-10-2010 | 07:11 AM
MiniCoopaloop
2nd Gear
love the story ...my girlfriend was kind of like wtf when I bought mine also...but now she thinks its pretty sweet...however...she doesnt know how to drive a manual so that keeps her from driving it ....

Old 04-10-2010 | 06:06 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
This thread reminds me of one of the first ones I ever read here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...th-spouse.html . It cracked me up then, and it still does!

Old 04-10-2010 | 06:17 PM
Boxcars
3rd Gear
tommy
i'm a converted ex mustang owner too.
a 90 5.0 LX and a 98 GT, loved them both and love my MINI too.
its not better, just really different!
15% pully, CAI and Ways 25 mm sway bar
http://www.waymotorworks.com/h-sport...-sway-bar.html
will make your car faster and turn really well,
have fun
boxcars

Old 07-02-2010 | 11:25 AM
fastgirl50/Mini
Neutral
I'm the wife! I STILL have the car.......... and I love it.

Old 07-02-2010 | 01:57 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Motor On ! Always Do the Cooper Wave .
Drink the kool aid it makes the drive even better .
El Tiger Happy 4th !

Old 07-02-2010 | 03:23 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
i guess marriage really sucks eh?

i just don't understand why the woman has to chime in her opinions when we buy whatever we wants with our own money..