1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 PM
TheHammer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on this Mini???

Hello everyone. I've been looking since the beginning of the year for a great used Mini. I've found some, but most of them have been to much $$$$, or have already been sold by the time I've called on them.

I saw this 2005 on eBay that's exactly what I'm looking for: CooperS, Blue w/white stripes, two-tone interior, Harman/Kardon, Pano, etc. I was actually looking at '03's for around 13k-14k, but this one looks like it will be in my price range. I'll probably go look at it Monday. I know most of the issues with the '03, but is there anything I should be looking out for with an '05? Questions I should ask the dealer? Things I should be wary of being an eBay auction? etc, etc, etc....

Thanks for any help. Hopefully I'll be a proud new owner of a Mini soon!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/L-K-N...item3cadf87fbf

Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
skyhawk940
1st Gear
What are you waiting for?

I wish I had found my 05 mcs for this price. I paid 16K with 55k miles and no leather. Looks Nice, but at this price I would have it checked out first.
Belive me, you will love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skyhawk940

Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Take a good hard look, auctions can be tricky.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to help, not be a bummer, but, to me it looks like the rear is a different color than the front. If you have polarized sunglasses, it is often even easier to see paintwork and just because it was painted, doesn't mean it was wrecked, or that it wasn't fixed properly.

If you open all doors, often you can see a tape mark where the car was masked off. No one ever bothers to sand the slight height difference in the paint off in the door, trunk and hood jams. It may just be the photos also, but ask if the car was ever painted or wrecked and have them answer in writing on the bill of sale. Lookin under the car and carpet will give clues often too.

I hope it works out well for you and remember, I am not saying paintwork is always bad. It is only bad if you don't know what you are buying, or buying one thing and getting another. A painted car should be cheaper and can often be a great value. One just wants to avoid paying top dollar for damaged goods.

This photo is the one made me think. Door looks painted (or front/back of car) Remember, if it is just the door, it could have been a scratch they fixed and it was never wrecked, if the front and back look totally different, the odds are it was a good collision that prompted the work.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on this Mini???-mini-7.jpg  

Last edited by HRM; 06-13-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Achilless
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
I want to help, not be a bummer, but, to me it looks like the rear is a different color than the front.
I see what HRM is saying, check that out.. But honestly if it has been repainted. It is not that noticeable and for that price, who cares! good luck!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't really tell if it will be a good price until minutes or seconds before the auction ends. Still has 2 days left and it is up to $12K.

Kinda has a strange history. Had a lien put on then went to auction in VA - Then titled as a rental/fleet in TN now it's in IN.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i alwsy prefer to see a car in person

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 AM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ngweibing
i alwsy prefer to see a car in person
+1

make sure to check this car out in person if you're gonna bid

also shop around the forum; cars here are more likely to have been well cared for

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM
TheHammer
Neutral
Thanks so much for all the responses. I went to the dealership today, and inspected/drove the mini. I asked them about the paint, and they said "no paint work", so I said I thought the passenger door/rear quarter looked "off", and they actually took a paint meter to each panel. It's a device that measures the thickness of the paint, and all the panels were close in range.

It seems to be in great condition. I couldn't find a dent, or even a scratch of significance. I've looked at a lot of Mini's, and this one seems to be in immaculate condition. The driver's side window was a little jerky the 1st time I put it up, but it was fine the 2nd time. The interior was in perfect condition.

I'm hoping it doesn't go above 13k. That's my limit. It has stayed at 12.1k for several days. I haven't seen an '05 go below 15k, so I don't want to get my hopes up, but...............

Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear Hammer. If the car didn't look painted up close, you are good to go. That photo makes it look like you should see a difference 20 feet away, so it is obviously just an illusion.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
looks pretty good to me. hope you win er'

Old 06-14-2010, 04:50 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHammer
Thanks so much for all the responses. I went to the dealership today, and inspected/drove the mini. I asked them about the paint, and they said "no paint work", so I said I thought the passenger door/rear quarter looked "off", and they actually took a paint meter to each panel. It's a device that measures the thickness of the paint, and all the panels were close in range.

It seems to be in great condition. I couldn't find a dent, or even a scratch of significance. I've looked at a lot of Mini's, and this one seems to be in immaculate condition. The driver's side window was a little jerky the 1st time I put it up, but it was fine the 2nd time. The interior was in perfect condition.

I'm hoping it doesn't go above 13k. That's my limit. It has stayed at 12.1k for several days. I haven't seen an '05 go below 15k, so I don't want to get my hopes up, but...............
You can make an offer directly to the dealer. They have reserved the right to cancel the auction if it is sold to a walk in.