1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove MINI for first time yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove MINI for first time yesterday

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, and my first experience with a MCS. I currently have a 2003 celica gts, 6 speed, with the (way to flashy TRD kit). i love the celica, but I am getting older and the car just seems too high school now. I have only heard great things from current and former MINI owners so i decided to see what the hype was all about. All I can say is WOW. I test drove a 2010 MCS yesterday and the first thing I noticed was how roomy it was inside compared to the celica. Granted, rear leg room isn't that great (isnt great in the celica either), but the rear and front head room was awesome. We had four people in the car no problem.
Second, this freaking car drives like no other. Way more power in the low end, and handles like a dream. Finally i guess I am one of the select few who likes the interior. Yes it's a little weird at first, but it's different in a good way. So now I am totally debating buy one now. The celica was my first car, so its gonna be hard to let go. But the cooper will definitely make a good replacement. I guess the only thing holding me off is reliability issues (heard a few horror stories and I am not sure if 2010 models have any issues), and i can't seem not make up my mind on options, colors, JCW?, etc. Sorry for the rant but i guess MINI has succeeded in at least getting me to consider their car.

Last edited by Anubis1654; 06-13-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have the early stages of MINI mania and it can be incurrable to many.

It is easy to get scared when you read all the negative posts but people tend to post about problems more than good things and that is true for message boards for most car brands.

I love my 6 speed manual with the S. Many are happy with the Just-a-Cooper (non s) but I really like the power and pull.

Drive both a JCW and a MCS. The brakes on even an S are very good. The brakes on the JCW are awsome. The JCW has a good bit more power but even the S has so much power that you have to "feather" it in or the wheels just spin.

I have had my MCS for a year now and I have had more fun with it than any car in over 30 years of driving!! I have had very good service out of in in the first 10,000 miles so far.

Good luck!!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
I've just reached my 23k mile mark, and like nearly everyone else, it has been the best 23k miles I've ever motored!

I love my MINI... You will hear a few issues here and there, but what car company doesn't have it's issues? If you are thinking about a new MINI, then no worries my friend. You'll also get an awesome warrenty. I have only one thing wrong with mine: the timing chain or "cold-start" problem. I'll be sending it in to get fixed soon enough.

Otherwise, no issues here! It is the best car I've ever owned. The only one with personality enough to give her a name and to never make me want to drive another car again.

If it's love at first drive, then I say buy one! You'll never look back, trust me.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Anubis1654
options, colors, JCW?
You want a JCW!!

Yellow Mellow JCW on the left. Laser Blue JCW with JCW aero kit in the middle. Dark Silver S with factory aero kit on the right.

Now from the front

More pics of mini MINI day at Steve's house

Click on the link in my signature to see more pictures on Flickr.

Last edited by onefish2; 06-13-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
I got my 2010 MCS in mid-March. I know that it seems like it's too soon to say this but I really think that it's a well-built car and will provide me with several trouble-free years of use. Like MrsDarcy's sig says, I drive it like I stole it practically every time I get in. I actually try my best to drive more mellow, but the car begs to be driven hard and the torque is too addicting to not mash the peddle at each traffic light.

I had a 2001 Civic EX coupe for 9 years and I really liked that car, but for different reasons. It was a reliable car, with just enough pep to accelerate onto freeway onramps safely. It looked pretty good IMO too. But when I test drove the MINI it had me at hello. I always loved the exterior look, and I thought the interior was quirky in a good way. The only time the interior turned me off was when I was in one without the anthracite headliner.

I spent so much time on this site to figure out what options I wanted. I would suggest you do the same. And the great thing about looking to buy now is that a lot of potential MINI buyers out there are seriously looking at the 2011 refresh and that might give you some leverage to get a great deal on a 2010 (provided you can find one on the lot with the options you want).

Have you test-driven a JCW yet? As gawannamini suggested (and onefish2 providing the awesome line-up :-) ), take one out for a test drive and see if you think it justifies the premium. For me, I would have loved a JCW if I could afford one, but there's always my next MINI.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, all the advice above says get one, I agree!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
If you want more back seat leg room, check out a Clubman. All the fun plus more room!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 PM
gepperso
3rd Gear
New MINI

Like all of the above replies, I agree the MINI is a great car.
I wanted more room than the Cooper offered, so I choose the Clubman, it rides smoother, but not as good on the race track though. The JCW Clubman that I drove told me I better not get that, because I know I would get alot of tickets, its addictive However the Cooper S offers plenty of giddy up and go. I mainly choose the Clubman for the extra room, however I dicovered that it also rides smoother. Plenty of room in the back seat area also.
I suggest you try them all, and make a decision on what characteristics that you like. The automatic with the paddle shifters is not a bad choice either.
Whichever you choose you are going to love the MINI.
They also have one of the best warranties out there.
P.S LOVE THE SPORT BUTTON !!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
Originally Posted by Project Mangler
If you want more back seat leg room, check out a Clubman. All the fun plus more room!
+1 I'm 5'9 and all legs... I sat in the back while my husband drove (which was unfortunate since I coudn't: too much wine!), and there was plenty of leg room for me. No knees hitting the front seat!!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Thanks for the tips.

I definitely want to get one now. As for the leg room I was just surprised that there was any at all. I always assumed it was like the Audi TT back seat... a leather wrapped storage shelf. Guess I was wrong. I think I'll stick with the MCS though (I don't need people riding with me anyway, less weight=more fun ).

I also emailed the salesman I spoke with, and the warranty does sounds amazing. Not to mention I appreciated the relaxed atmosphere at the dealership (no greasy salesmen trying to sell me stuff I don't want).I guess i'll start saving now, but I am leaning for the 2010. I'm not sure about the 2011 refresh, the front end looks a little strange. But the bump in power and addition of valvetronic sounds temping.

Does anyone know when the 2011 are supposed to come out?

I'm also trying to convince my girlfriend to get the convertible. Guess she has to drive one to understand.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
I might have to go back and test the JCW just to make sure.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Thanks for the tips.
Does anyone know when the 2011 are supposed to come out?
The 2011 models should be showing up this September.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
(no greasy salesmen trying to sell me stuff I don't want).
Yeah, they save that for the financing part, when they try to sell you warranties, service contracts, theft protection, etc. Do your homework so you don't get blindsided.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Good Luck! Keep us posted...tell us what you order and post some pics when it comes ashore. Once you've been "bitten" by the MINI bug it's only a matter of time. You won't regret it.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM
David0415
1st Gear
Lol, we went from looking at Mini's to buying ours yesterday. Its getting prepped and cleaned but I wanted to drive it home right then!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by David0415
Lol, we went from looking at Mini's to buying ours yesterday. Its getting prepped and cleaned but I wanted to drive it home right then!
Ain't waiting fun? NOT! Congratulations & post some pics when you get a chance. Welcome to the family!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
I will definitely let you know when I finally decide on what options I want. Speaking of photos, I can't wait to start taking some pictures when i get one. i've been a detailer for 6 years so I love clean cars (definitely leaning towards red or blue color now, something that pops when fully detailed) and I just got a new camera. Here are some photos I took a while ago at the Lexus LFA event in New jersey. Now thats a really nice car, but since I'm not some oil tycoon, I think the Mini will do just fine .

Attached Thumbnails Drove MINI for first time yesterday-lexus-13web.jpg   Drove MINI for first time yesterday-lexus-1web.jpg   Drove MINI for first time yesterday-lexus-2web.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello everyone,
This is my first post, and my first experience with a MCS. I currently have a 2003 celica gts, 6 speed, with the (way to flashy TRD kit). i love the celica, but I am getting older and the car just seems too high school now. I have only heard great things from current and former MINI owners so i decided to see what the hype was all about. All I can say is WOW. I test drove a 2010 MCS yesterday and the first thing I noticed was how roomy it was inside compared to the celica. Granted, rear leg room isn't that great (isnt great in the celica either), but the rear and front head room was awesome. We had four people in the car no problem.
Second, this freaking car drives like no other. Way more power in the low end, and handles like a dream. Finally i guess I am one of the select few who likes the interior. Yes it's a little weird at first, but it's different in a good way. So now I am totally debating buy one now. The celica was my first car, so its gonna be hard to let go. But the cooper will definitely make a good replacement. I guess the only thing holding me off is reliability issues (heard a few horror stories and I am not sure if 2010 models have any issues), and i can't seem not make up my mind on options, colors, JCW?, etc. Sorry for the rant but i guess MINI has succeeded in at least getting me to consider their car.
I also love the MINI interior, it is totally different than anything else. If they changed all of the little "quirky" things then it would be no different than any other car. I just turned 1150 miles on mine and boy am I having fun!!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Well my 2 cents ! I saw it was too small but I own one now for over a year and love it !Took a family trip to Tenn . 4 of us and our little dog a scottie and it was ok not great but the 35 mpg was . I have a Just A Cooper 09 Auto with paddle shifters what ever they do ?/ I never use them . Have learned how to change my own oil = therefore im now a Motoring Dude with My Lighting Blue Cooper .
Geaux for it and you want look back the Cooper is calling you ! Drink the Kool Aid and buy one ! El Tiger

Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Well looks like I might be ordering soon

Guess the celica might not be with us much longer. Got hit by hands down one of the most illogical, ridiculous illegal maneuvers of all time. Going straight through and intersection when someone who shouldn't ever be allowed to drive again made an illegal left turn into on coming traffic while also managing not to yield. Needless to say it doesn't look good, but we shall see.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were me (...and it's not; I'm perfectly happy with my '05 MCS), I would definitely go for the '10 leftover. Reason is, I don't trust BMW's VALVETRONIC system. I hear they're nothing but trouble in their cars.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:11 PM
michmini
1st Gear
That's almost a relief to hear - I just bought a MCS '10 and was a bit worried that I was going to miss out on the extra hp.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Guess the celica might not be with us much longer. Got hit by hands down one of the most illogical, ridiculous illegal maneuvers of all time. Going straight through and intersection when someone who shouldn't ever be allowed to drive again made an illegal left turn into on coming traffic while also managing not to yield. Needless to say it doesn't look good, but we shall see.
Seems unfortunate, but that is fate. Now that your Celica is mortally wounded, you're free to get a MINI.

Last edited by nabeshin; 07-18-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ellcapitan
If it were me (...and it's not; I'm perfectly happy with my '05 MCS), I would definitely go for the '10 leftover. Reason is, I don't trust BMW's VALVETRONIC system. I hear they're nothing but trouble in their cars.
Are they still doing orders on the 2010's. I heard people say they we putting in orders for 2011. I was kinda hyped about the 2011's especially the black with red roof JCW.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Seems unfortunate, but that is fate. Now that your Celica is mortally wounded, you're free to get a MINI.
I guess your right. I also noticed a MINI commercial the other day, and realized i have never, not even once, seen a MINI commercial on TV since these things have been out. Now I'm hearing and seeing commercials everywhere. So I'm going to take this as a sign, and hope that my car is totaled.

Last edited by nabeshin; 07-18-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove MINI for first time yesterday