1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, Considering a MCS, but have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Bennyboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Considering a MCS, but have some ?'s

Hey everyone first post here. I've always enjoyed the Mini Cooper S. The current gen, and having just graduated college I'll be moving back down to SoCal and am looking at trading up my Scion xD for a current gen MCS. I don't have all that much to spend, looking somewhere around 20k. I've been surfing autotrader, this forum, ebay and the likes.

A couple of my concerns is the fact that the next gen Mini will be coming out soon? I've heard 2012? I'm thinking that once the new Mini comes out I might just hang onto the Scion for a while longer and take a look at the new one. Although I do find myself just looking at getting out of my Scion (say as a present to myself for graduating). The other concerns for me are the clutch seeing as I'm looking for a manual. I understand that the life of the clutch depends on how the car has been driven.

As of now, I'm looking into a MCS, Manual, Blue, Yellow, or grey. Preferably with no two toned interior. One of my main concerns is a decent deal seeing as I am not in a serious rush to get this car.

What do you you guys think?

Thanks
Bennyboy

Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Bennyboy, I can't imagine you'd ever regret buying an MCS. There is a refresh for 2011 if you're looking at buying new. If you're looking for pre-owned just take all the necessary precautions that come with buying used. Get maintenance & repair receipts, a Carfax report, etc. If you find something there are a lot of very knowledgeable individuals on here that can answer mechanical, modding, etc. questions. Hope to welcome you to the MINI family very soon.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Bennyboy
1st Gear
From what I've researched online, I've found some articles about a whole new design and motor for the next model? I hear its supposedly a 3 cylinder turbo?
I am looking into pre-owned but I would prefer that the model I end up settling on isn't an old model soon after I get my "new" car.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennyboy
From what I've researched online, I've found some articles about a whole new design and motor for the next model? I hear its supposedly a 3 cylinder turbo?
I am looking into pre-owned but I would prefer that the model I end up settling on isn't an old model soon after I get my "new" car.
Thanks
If you want to have THE LATEST version for the longest period of time, buying the first year of an ALL-NEW model is best. For instance, people who bought 2007 R56's have had the latest version all the way to the 2011 model, which is still just a mild refresh. That said, the great thing about the MINI (so far, anyway) is that the styling is merely evolutionary... which is why the vast, vast majority of people couldn't differentiate a 2011 MINI from a 2003 MINI unless they were parked next to each other. Point being, MINI's don't "age" nearly as quickly as other cars.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
If you only have 20K to spend why worry about 2012's, find a clean '07 or '08 S and start enjoying life! Why would you want a 3 cylinder turbo? A pent up desire for 2 cycle 3 cylinder Saab?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
zoedragon
2nd Gear
I personally would advise against getting the first year production of any new redesign. There are always bugs to iron out and problems that they didn't realize were problems until the've been on the road awhile. I think BensMini is right, look for a well maintained '07 or '08. Then later on when you're making more money and feel the need to upgrade to the redesigned models, you can.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Bennyboy
1st Gear
I completely agree with what you guys have been saying. The only thing about the new model coming out would lead me to believe that the value of the current model may fall and its just not as neat to have the older model of a particular car...
But I definitely agree and am currently searching for a R56 Mini. Any deals in Southern California please let me know
Thanks again

Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
MINI has the #1 resale value on the market...just read it again last week. I think this time it was Motor Trend. It has consistently been #1 in resale. That's why a lot of people who start looking for late-model pre-owned end up going new with fewer bells & whistles. The cost difference is usually minimal. Either way good luck...you're smart to question everything. It's a big purchase. Can't wait to hear what you get.