1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trials and tribulations of a would-be mini owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010 | 07:35 PM
gretelanne
|
Neutral
trials and tribulations of a would-be mini owner

I never thought I would be here today. My husband bought his mini about one year ago and I was happy enough to allow him his obsession. Somehow, over the course of time, it appears that the mini life may have sunk into me as well. However, I have some concerns that need to be addressed first and I thought the only place to come to resolution would be this forum.

So, here we go:

1. I have to admit that the need for an "S" is not too important to me, so I will be a "just a". I already have some affirmation that that part is ok. Do you agree?

2. Because of the placement of the reverse (too close to first gear in my opinion) I will need to drive an automatic. What do you think? Will I be considered a second class citizen because I don't have a stick shift?

3. And, I have to say, although I enjoy the ability to move quickly around traffic in my husband's car, that is not my priority. Will I hold up traffic? Absolutely not. Will I take to the corner in front of me with tires squealing ... probably not. Is that ok? Will I be ostracized because, though I drive a mini, I don't take her to the limit?

All this happens after my husband has added some upgrades to his car and I tell him, "I don't like her now. She's noisy. What's that strange whistling sound?" and I turn to see his very disappointed face at my comment. How can I have such a complete turn around in the past 24 hours?? And, believe it or not, just minutes ago I came up with a name for her. What does all this mean?? Have I gone crazy?? I don't like driving small cars, especially with all the large Expeditions on the road with moms talking on cell phones (and I am a mom, so I can critique those I know).

So, what do you think? Will my requirements as noted above be enough to include me in the community? I need you to be honest ... it will be much easier to accept the rejection now, on my own. I can take the feedback, mourn for a period of time, and move on....

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:25 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
1. S only matters if you find yourself on a track.

2. If you are getting an auto, you have to get a gen2+. the gen 1 auto sucks.

I just realized, what other people think doesn't matter. If you want an auto just-a gen 2. Get one.

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:32 PM
gepperso
3rd Gear
MINI Struck

The regular Coopers are just fine, and get great gas milage.
You don't have have to drive her to the limit, like other miniacs.
Let your husband have his fun in his MINI, and you get yours just the way YOU want.. I drive an automatic and I like it, if you want to sport around just press the sport button this will make a big difference on the get up and go. The noises you hear from your husbands MINI is the Turbo or Super charger depending on the year. Alot of MINI owners are very happy with "justa" coopers, and remember you will be getting better gas milage also.
There is a club for automatic MINI coopers owners also, you should do a search on that inside NAM. You won't be holding up traffic unless you want to. I hope you get YOUR MINI and enjoy it just as much as everyone else.

Old 06-30-2010 | 08:37 PM
gepperso
3rd Gear
MINI Auto

Just another thought, I got my MINI with Blue Tooth and I linked it to my MINI, so now when I get a call I just press a button on my steering wheel and start talking, is great no more fumbleing for the phone, and its safer to.

Old 06-30-2010 | 11:34 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Get the auto (gen.2- '07 on) and you will have all the power you need. Drive your MINI any way you want don't worry about what other people think. We could use a few more responsible MINI drivers to offset the nuts like me vrooom vroom!

Old 07-01-2010 | 04:33 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
You need to put the you in youification! Get what you want, the color(s), the model, the MINI, the way you want it. There are tons of justa's at the dragon every year. Whether you custom order, buy off a lot, buy new, buy used, just buy one and welcome to the family! Big ole crazy disfunctional family.

On a side-note. I don't think you would struggle with the manual after driving it for a couple of days. I made the Reverse vs. First mistake the day after I bought my first MINI...hasn't happened since...knock knock knock on wood.

Keep us posted & good luck!!!

Old 07-01-2010 | 05:19 AM
jtbrown
3rd Gear
1. Justa... S... JWC... in the end, those are unimportant letters. The important ones are MINI.

2. Drive what you feel comfortable with. I can tell you that I did have concerns about the placement of reverse on the manual too, but don't be overly concerned with it if you do prefer a manual. Getting into reverse is a conscious effort... I've had mine for closing in on three weeks and I can't see how you can get into R without intending to do so.

3. Mini or otherwise, you drive your car how you want to drive it... period.

Old 07-01-2010 | 05:18 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
From one prospective MINI owner to another: JUST DO IT! I test-drove both a "justa" and an "S" in manual 6-speed, and honestly, couldn't really feel a big difference between the two when it came to get up & go, especially w/the "justa's" Sport button engaged. (The S may have just been cold, but still...)

And as the others have said, don't worry about how you drive. Every time I see a MINI & I'm in my Camry, no matter how slow or fast they're driving, or what trim, I know that person is having some kinda fun.

Old 07-02-2010 | 05:07 AM
Treehuggingirl
1st Gear
I ordered my MINI in April and just got her (Cocoa May) in June. I thought the same thing when I was ordering mine about the S or the justa. I knew I would not need the S. So I ordered the justa and I liked the crome grill better and the way the boot looked better. It is all in you and what you like. MINI owners are unique and a bit crazy that is why there are so many different ways to build MINI's. I think if your holdin up traffic it's because they are starrin at your MINI. It has been known to happen. Good luck on your adventure.