1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scary reliability & generation indecision

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010 | 10:49 PM
khurley424
|
2nd Gear
scary reliability & generation indecision

ok, so after settling on a MINI and starting to do some reading, im getting kind of worried about some of the mechanical bits of this car. Engine bay fires, strut tower mushrooming, misc noises, it all seems like a lot. If i were to buy a MINI, id need it to be dependable as itd be doing 100+ miles daily service for college. What are the common problems in generation 1 and generation 2 cars? Which generation is the most dependable?

On that note, which generation is preferred? Is one more fun to drive over the other? One quicker? One just outright better?

Thanks in advance to all who help. Id love to buy a MINI, i just want some confidence to do so.

Old 07-02-2010 | 11:12 PM
docv
4th Gear
I bought a used 02 Cooper a little over a year ago and have had, zero-zilch-no problem at all, has been a great car,wouldn't hesitate at all about buying another, I would look for a 1st gen however, I just like the way they feel, it's a very driveable car.

Old 07-02-2010 | 11:28 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Haven't seen any engine bay fires, mushrooming only on gen1 cars ('02-'06), which gen is better? depends on what gen you are driving. Want to get the most trouble free, buy the latest model, lowest mileage car you can afford. New would be best.

Old 07-03-2010 | 04:33 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
the Gen 1 cars are preferred by some, and the '06 is reputed to be the pick of that litter.

I've no experience with the turbo cars.

My '04 provided 131k of reliable motoring - then I rebuilt it.

Do that due diligence, and make a good shop part of your overall plan, and I reckon you'll do just fine.

May the force be with you...

Old 07-03-2010 | 05:19 AM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
It is really a preference. I had a 2007 Gen 1 Cabrio, and loved it. Now I have a 2007 Gen 2 Coupe and love that. I miss the super charger sound, but I enjoy the 20% better gas mileage. Like mentioned, for reliability, buy the latest and greatest, for it will incorporate many improvements. Although some will disagree. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-03-2010 | 06:00 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
You have to remember that people are more likely to post problems than lack of problems. My 06 has never left me stranded and has been fairly reliable. I have had to replace an upper engine mount and a by-pass valve, neither of which made the car anywhere near to un-drivable. In fact all I noticed was a little more vibration at idle for the engine mount and I received a code that lead to the by-pass valve leak that I couldn't detect while driving. Oh, and I got a crack in my exhaust which cost $10 to re-weld. My dad has an 06 also and his car has been pretty trouble free as well.

The bottom line is that this car will not be as reliable as a Honda or Toyota, but it's far from being so bad as to leave you stranded!

Old 07-03-2010 | 08:42 AM
khurley424
|
2nd Gear
alright, this is the sort of stuff i was looking for. So common consensus is that this is not a problematic car then? Now which is the better driving car/more modifiable?

Old 07-03-2010 | 09:47 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
"Better driving" is going to be personal, subjective opinion. Best test drive both and come to your own conclusion.

"More modifiable" - I'd probably give the nod to the 1st Gens since they have been on the market longer, so there has been more development, research, etc. At this point though, I suspect most of the differences have more to do with engine internals mods and the number of options available across the board.

Old 07-03-2010 | 11:48 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Despite being a bit subjective, no doubt R53 is the drivers car. That said, not sure R53 makes a good choice for college student, because if it does need service it will be expensive. Better off with a brand new/er R56 with its near 4 year warranty, for piece of mind.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 07-04-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2010 | 12:11 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
How's about if we tell you a bunch of horror stories about NON-Minis that we've owned?

Want to hear about my 06 Miata? Not enough room to tell you all of its issues.

Want to hear about my Honda Pilot? Two $4K transmissions in two years, and that's just for starters.

Want to hear what it cost to fix a stripped spark plug in an 04 Civic?

How about what it takes to actually drive a Lotus coast to coast (read -- a lot of friends to bring parts).

Want to hear about a GTI that caught fire?

Enough.

Quit worrying and go buy a Mini -- any Mini (but avoid the CVTs if you have the opportunity). It won't be perfect. That's why you'll love it, and why you will spend so much time trying to make it more "perfecter" (as the three year-old next door says).

It'll take you where you want to go and not cost you very much in the process, and you'll arrive with a smile on your face.

What more can you ask of any car?

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:42 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Buy a new Justa Cooper - you'll love it, it will get fantastic fuel mileage, and for the first four years or 50k you won't spend a dime on repairs - it's the cheapest MINI you can own......

Old 07-03-2010 | 01:11 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by khurley424
alright, this is the sort of stuff i was looking for. So common consensus is that this is not a problematic car then?
Fact is that although the Mini is reliable (Artoo has not left me stranded and he just passed 100,000) there are things that go. I did a whole bunch of repairs and preventative stuff last weekend. Lower Control Arm bushings, sway bar bushings, oil pan gasket, crank sensor seal and fan (low speed out), top strut mounts are all things that will eventually go in the early generation Minis. I also replaced the struts with Koni FSDs and installed Irelenad fixed camber plates for good measure. So if you plan for it and have a good independent shop it won't nickel and dime you if you get a bunch of things done while it is in service mode and the subframe is down. I have a great guy in Northern NJ of you need one. BTW.

Now which is the better driving car/more modifiable?
I love the first gen Minis. No turbo lag and plenty of power. And I do think they handle a bit better. But that is subjective and your milage may vary. If I was buying one now I would look a 2006 factory JCW and nurse it forever.

Rich

Old 07-03-2010 | 11:19 PM
khurley424
|
2nd Gear
Hereleman, that is EXACTLY the post i think i needed to see. Thank you.

Rich, i see your point about the preventative stuff, and it makes sense. I live in lindenhurst, long island, so the north jersey guy might be a little bit of a stretch but it could work. Maybe. haha.

I am also seeing that the 1st gen cars are prefered for driving by all. I havent seen "i think the second gen car handles better" yet anywhere. And i love the supercharger/supercharger whine associated with the car. I dont like the steel block, but i do like the fantastic harmon/kardon stereo. And that swapping pulleys can result in more power.

Old 07-04-2010 | 07:03 AM
daflake
6th Gear
. I dont like the steel block,

And that swapping pulleys can result in more power.
That steel block is the reason you can add more power without worry. It is something that you will learn to love.

Old 07-04-2010 | 07:39 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
1st gen is much more of a known quantity at this point in terms of what to expect. There are certain 2nd gen issues that possibly haven't played out yet - high pressure fuel pumps, and cold start noise (up to 2010 at least). However howsoonisnow has a great point about warranties.

Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I have a great guy in Northern NJ of you need one. BTW.
Sorry to thread jack, but I've been looking for a good independent MINI mechanic in NJ (I'm in CNJ but I don't mind the hike). Rich, if you wouldn't mind sharing via post or PM, I'd appreciate it