1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R50 vs. R53 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Viper98912
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 vs. R53 buying advice

So the whole reason I've started to like the coopers is because the gf liked it first. After doing some research, it seems like these can be really fun cars to drive, which is what I like....

The prices on R50's and R53's seem pretty reasonable, the only question is what exactly to do. My main concern is that I want to buy a manual trans so I can practice my own shifting as well as teach the gf how to drive stick. So while I want something fun to drive, it has to be reliable and easy to repair. I'm a wrench so I can handle most things that don't need special diagnostic equipment, 2 post lifts, or dealer-only tools. This would also be my second car in the garage.

I can cheap out and look for an 02-03 R50 for around 8-10k. Only issues I see is that I don't want to feel like I'm jumping into a POS car, feel like it's "old", feel like it's too slow, and just not "nice enough". I've also read some things about the midland transmissions not being too hot. I don't need something that is going to have major issues.

I can go for an 05-06 R53 for about 13-15k, which would make me feel better about all the issues stated above, except that now I'll be spending 5-7k more on a car, which could be used for mods (or my savings account). And for a new clutch for when either I or the gf finish it off.

I did read the MotoringFile buyer's guide which was definitely a big help, but I prefer some more owner opinions as well

Opinions?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:17 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Look for a stock 05-06 R53 MCS, stock cause it "may" mean owner/driver does not drive the MINI aggressively. My advice is get VIN number or key fob and check history with dealer to see if clutch and PS was recently replaced so that you don't have too worry about it. And lastly before purchase take it to a dealer for inspection or better yet take it to Way Motor Works there in Atlanta and have Way take a look at it.

Way Motor Works
3115 Marjan Drive
Atlanta GA 30340
(317) 201-8670
info@waymotorworks.com

Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Justjones
2nd Gear
^ Great advice take it and run with it!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Go for the R53

Originally Posted by Viper98912
So the whole reason I've started to like the coopers is because the gf liked it first. After doing some research, it seems like these can be really fun cars to drive, which is what I like....

The prices on R50's and R53's seem pretty reasonable, the only question is what exactly to do. My main concern is that I want to buy a manual trans so I can practice my own shifting as well as teach the gf how to drive stick. So while I want something fun to drive, it has to be reliable and easy to repair. I'm a wrench so I can handle most things that don't need special diagnostic equipment, 2 post lifts, or dealer-only tools. This would also be my second car in the garage.

I can cheap out and look for an 02-03 R50 for around 8-10k. Only issues I see is that I don't want to feel like I'm jumping into a POS car, feel like it's "old", feel like it's too slow, and just not "nice enough". I've also read some things about the midland transmissions not being too hot. I don't need something that is going to have major issues.

I can go for an 05-06 R53 for about 13-15k, which would make me feel better about all the issues stated above, except that now I'll be spending 5-7k more on a car, which could be used for mods (or my savings account). And for a new clutch for when either I or the gf finish it off.

I did read the MotoringFile buyer's guide which was definitely a big help, but I prefer some more owner opinions as well

Opinions?
If you are willing to be patient you can find great deals on R53's. I bought mine last Dec. after looking for one that met my criteria for about 6 months. I got a Liquid Yellow '02 MCS with 73K on it, premium, sport and cold weather packages, rust free southern car and clean CarFax for $9K. It had a year old clutch, brand new PS pump and fan, and a new battery (w/reciepts). It was owned by a 76 year old man. The only repairs to date were replacing a leaking radiator over flow tank ($40) and repairing a broken muffler strap (no cost, I just welded it back together). I have put some money into it for mods which I think everone does. So far I've added strut tower defenders, a strut tower brace and gauges (oil pressure and vac/boost).

Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Of course I would recommend the MCS. The 6sp getrag is a great transmission. It is a blast to add a few mods to the engine and boost the power north of 200 with little problem. You don't have to settle for a POS. Here's something about MINIs you should know. A fair number of the cars are driven as a second car. I know people with MINIs who only drive them on weekends! Considering all of the good advice you received so far, be a bit patient (hey it's fun just looking isn't it?) and find a R53 that someone hasn't driven too hard and has properly maintained. I've seen a few in the last year and I'm not even looking. I believe you will find one in the price range you mentioned in exceptional condition. Enjoy the hunt!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
+1 on above advice on R53, enjoy.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
R50 or R53, both nice MINIs & a tough choice.

You can get an R50 to handle like an R53, but you will not be able to get one to run like it. You have to evaluate what is important. Handling, power or both. From what you've said I think you will be happiest in an R53.

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:27 AM
Viper98912
Neutral
Well I test drove a couple yesterday and wanted your opinion if this is normal. First was an 05 MCa, and the throttle was very bucky (as if it was a jumpy clutch in a stickshift). Also, the steering felt very heavy. The second was an 05 MCSa convertible, which had a broken armrest and dipswitch backing and also needed an a/c recharge. This car also felt heavy to me. So is this normal or did I drive some duds?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
The MCa has the CVT auto which if not maintained properly, can be a very expensive replacement. The "S" auto is very reliable. My husband drives a Vette and when he drives my MINI, he says it feels like a light go-kart - FUN!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
This car also felt heavy to me. So is this normal or did I drive some duds?
From my experience, the Mini Cooper steering is on the heavy side. This is normal for the car. Front wheel drive cars feel "heavier" than rear wheel drive cars anyway, but the Mini is heavier than most. This heaviness can work to your advantage on high speed maneuvers, but it feels heavy at slow speed driving.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
No No No Auto!

Well I test drove a couple yesterday and wanted your opinion if this is normal. First was an 05 MCa, and the throttle was very bucky (as if it was a jumpy clutch in a stickshift). Also, the steering felt very heavy. The second was an 05 MCSa convertible, which had a broken armrest and dipswitch backing and also needed an a/c recharge. This car also felt heavy to me. So is this normal or did I drive some duds?
Stay away from JustaCooper "Automatic", well known to fail and replacment is $6000-$7000 bucks. Steering is heavier than most cars, but not like bicep building heavy. Please read this: MINI R50/R53 Buyers Guide

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Viper98912
Neutral
Yes, I did read the buyers guide. The steering in my AMG is a little stiffer than most, but it felt like the Mini was definitely much more. I test both automatics for ease of a test drive, and wanted to compare both engine sizes. I don't know, but the salesman wasn't very helpful either so I guess my opinion was put down some. On the way home though I did see a black with straight silver stripes and a roof spoiler pull up next to me (I'm guessing it might've been JCW) and it sure did look nice....