1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM
shelley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

I just bought a 2010 mini after I signed all the papers the finance guy told me it costs about 1800 to change the brakes. Is this true. This sounds like a deal breaker to me. I notice that the idle goes from 2 1/2 all the way to 4 is this normal?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
This sounds like a raw deal. The car should idle at 900 RPM. A new car shouldn't need new brakes for $1,800. Break your contract now. I'm not sure about PA, but most states have lemon laws that lets you return any car within 3 days with NO penilty. Use it! Please don't tell me you bought this from a MINI dealer.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 PM
darwinian
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1800 bucks, that's crazy.
i second what MCSFanboy said, idle should be under 1000 rpm, that's how it is for my MC. I got a 2010 MC in March brand new.
If any problem with the engine, it should be covered by your warranty.
Unless it's a high mileage 2010 model (which is not likely)

Your MINI brand new or no?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
2010? Brakes? high idle revs? whats going on here? More details please!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
shelley
Neutral
Hello, new mini, high idling

when I am regularly driving, it idles up to 4 and zooms. This doesn't sound right. It's a new mini had 13 miles on it when I bought it. When I press the brakes, it doesn't handle well.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
darwinian
2nd Gear
Either your MINI is a Cooper or S, the idle shouldn't be that high up to 4,000 RPM. Best bet is to talk to the service adviser and see what kind of explanation would be given. Any problems with the Engine are covered by the warranty. I'd make an appointment and have the MINI technicians check out the engine, as well as the brakes.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 AM
shelley
Neutral
reply to yours...shelley

Thank you.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
darwinian
2nd Gear
I read it somewhere on this website about this particular brand new MINI Cooper S owner. He/she was having a problem with the engine and had the dealer check and work on it. After a number of attempts, the problem remained. So the MINI dealership bought back the MINI and offered a good deal on a MINI Cooper (base model).

Sometimes, i suspect that, very few defective products *escape* manufacturer's quality control and entered the market, and the unlucky buyers end up with those products. It is up to the manufacturer and retailer to take care of it. If your particular problem cannot be solved by the dealer, your MINI would have a high value to the manufacturer because this particular engine may have research value and can be studied by engineers so that they can improve. For them, that translates into engineering, brand trust, consumer royalty and ultimately market share issues.

Just a thought, hope that helps.