1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi everyone

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

Mrs. Sauron and I have been wanting a Mini for a while. Been lurking on the forum for a bit, and have got lots of useful info- thanks!!

Neither of us has ever bought/owned a car so have been diligently reading the interwebs.

We're considering either getting a 2010 off the lot this month IF we can get a "good deal" on a car reasonably close to our specs or ordering a 2011.

The consensus on the forum appears to be to be patient and get the new version. What would you consider a sufficiently good deal to keep you from a 2011? Option credit plus how much cash off?

Happy to join the forum, and hope to be a new mini owner/order-placer in the next month!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM
jtbrown
3rd Gear
It really depends on what the specifics are that you're looking for. Some options are less common than others, so will be harder to find in dealer stock. Generally speaking, MINIs don't often get a huge drop from MSRP... the best you normally seem to hear from what I've read here on NAM is 1-2K below sticker. You might be able to get a little more than that with the '11s coming in soon. If you have more than one dealer in your area, shop around, see who is willing to work with you.

A lot of it also depends on how anxious you are to get your MINI... immediate gratification obviously says find a good deal on a '10, especially if you can find exactly what you want.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice.

Just to ask, is that 1-2K BEFORE the option credit? If so then we're talking 2.5-3.5K which is tempting indeed (Premium package option seems good to me, and that's 1575 off invoice)

That 1.9% financing doesn't hurt either
Ran a few rough-and-ready numbers, and it's worth (roughly) an additional $800-1000 compared to what I can get from the credit union (~3%)

So now we're up to 4.5K (after valuing finance?) Is this right?

Even if I end up paying for a few extra options, that could lead me to pass on an '11. Not to mention all that immediate gratification!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sauron
Thanks for the advice.

Just to ask, is that 1-2K BEFORE the option credit? If so then we're talking 2.5-3.5K which is tempting indeed (Premium package option seems good to me, and that's 1575 off invoice)

That 1.9% financing doesn't hurt either
Ran a few rough-and-ready numbers, and it's worth (roughly) an additional $800-1000 compared to what I can get from the credit union (~3%)

So now we're up to 4.5K (after valuing finance?) Is this right?

Even if I end up paying for a few extra options, that could lead me to pass on an '11. Not to mention all that immediate gratification!
If you could get somehwre near the figures mentioned above (1~2K before credit) you'd be in pretty good shape and I'd certainly go for it, but I'm sure that it would be tough to come by. I recently ordered (and am still waiting on) my 2010 MCS. The main changes for 2011 are the standard Sat radio and HD radio, the BMW Vanos system with a few more hp, new front and rear bumpers, led tailights and slightly revised audio controls. Colors choices will change a bit as well.

I couldn't pass up the option credit, financing incentives, deal on my trade and extra cash from the dealer. The question really came down to could I afford to wait for the next model? At this point I wanted the Mini and had too many other things going on (House purchase, wedding, etc.) and didn't want to deal with the additional cost of the new model and nail-biting as I waited to see if they would offer the same financing incentives. it was just the right time for me so I took it, but that was my reasoning.

Last edited by NJ Mini; 07-30-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
If you could get somehwre near the figures mentioned above (1~2K before credit) you'd be in pretty good shape and I'd certainly go for it, but I'm sure that it would be tough to come by. I recently ordered (and am still waiting on) my 2010 MCS. The main changes for 2011 are the standard Sat radio and HD radio, the BMW Vanos system with a few more hp, new front and rear bumpers, led tailights and slightly revised audio controls. Colors choices will change a bit as well.
Ah, I found the list on motoringfile. Small changes, but a lot of them.

I assume I'd have to take a car off the lot to get a reduced price before option credit. No harm in trying. Thanks for sharing your experience and rationale.

There are plenty of dealers within range of the DC-NY area (I travel between them often enough anyway). If no deal, then I'll order the 2011 and get the updated version exactly as I want. Win-win, either way I'm in a MINI soon (will probably have to battle the wife when I want to drive it, though).

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
If a battle with the wife over driving the MINI is a problem, get 2, they are small and NO Fighting!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Sauron
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BensMini
If a battle with the wife over driving the MINI is a problem, get 2, they are small and NO Fighting!
I'm sure that's how it's going to end up after a while.